0

Fantasy Beyond Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 10:16 pm
What fantasy television and books are you glad you've experienced? Some lesser-known properties, please?

Keep this relatively family-friendly so... no Witcher either.

I'll start with The Scrapped Princess, a single season of anime from 2003. It has a very good English dub so you don't have to worry about those pesky subtitles. The music is quite wonderful as well. Got a lot of heart and light comedy too.

1  
Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 10:55 pm

1  
Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 04:51 am
Works by David and Leigh Eddings:

Belgarian and friends:
The Belgariad Omnibus Volumes I & II/The Malloreon Omnibus Volumes I & II/Belgarath the Sorcerer/Polgara the Sorceress

Sparhawk and friends:
The Elenium Omnibus Volume/The Tamuli Omnibus Volume

Althalus and friends:
The Redemption of Althalus (standalone novel)

I never read the Dreamers novel series. Leigh's health was failing and she did not participate as much in their creation. According to the critics, they aren't nearly as good as the novels I listed above.

But the above series: Wow! Cardboard characters perhaps. But so excellently done that it doesn't matter.

I've not watched/read Game of Thrones. But I'm familiar with Hobbit/LOTR, and I say that the works that I listed above are their equal.

1  
Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 10:49 am