Fantasy Beyond Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 10:16 pm
What fantasy television and books are you glad you've experienced? Some lesser-known properties, please?

Keep this relatively family-friendly so... no Witcher either.

I'll start with The Scrapped Princess, a single season of anime from 2003. It has a very good English dub so you don't have to worry about those pesky subtitles. The music is quite wonderful as well. Got a lot of heart and light comedy too.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,352 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 10:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 04:51 am
Works by David and Leigh Eddings:

Belgarian and friends:
The Belgariad Omnibus Volumes I & II/The Malloreon Omnibus Volumes I & II/Belgarath the Sorcerer/Polgara the Sorceress

Sparhawk and friends:
The Elenium Omnibus Volume/The Tamuli Omnibus Volume

Althalus and friends:
The Redemption of Althalus (standalone novel)

I never read the Dreamers novel series. Leigh's health was failing and she did not participate as much in their creation. According to the critics, they aren't nearly as good as the novels I listed above.

But the above series: Wow! Cardboard characters perhaps. But so excellently done that it doesn't matter.

I've not watched/read Game of Thrones. But I'm familiar with Hobbit/LOTR, and I say that the works that I listed above are their equal.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 10:49 am
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:25 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:43 am
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 08:39 pm
@tsarstepan,

Exploring an indeterminably vast, deadly, cursed hole in the ground with a steampunk aesthetic.

Brings up feelings of dread and fascination. But definitely not for the squeamish or too young crowd (despite the age of the two protagonists).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 02:59 am
I could never get into The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, but I know a lot of people who really enjoyed them.

Michael Moorcock is a lot of fun, but not to be taken seriously.

Similarly Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber.

Another poster was waxing lyrical about Zelazny’s Amber series.

Some of Terry Pratchett’s stuff has been televised, The Hogfather, The Colour Of Magic and Going Postal.

The BBC did an adaptation of the first two Gormenghast books by Mervin Peake.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 07:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I could never get into The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, but I know a lot of people who really enjoyed them.

I'm an insanely finicky reader. So, when I say I gave the first book to this series a try? Don't give it too much weight. I give up on books far too easily and if I remember correctly, I gave up after the first two chapters. Extremely rare when that I will return to books I have tried and failed to finish ... like Catch 22. So rare, I can only say it happened once and as of last week where I finally started and finished the economics and physics heavy Accelerando by Charles Stross (which I previously attempted to start and read at least 4 other times).

Quote:
Another poster was waxing lyrical about Zelazny’s Amber series.

I've only read his standalone Lord of Light novel. Fondly remembered at a vague rate.

Quote:
Some of Terry Pratchett’s stuff has been televised, The Hogfather, The Colour Of Magic and Going Postal.

Super waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too intimidating to start a series of books as long (and costly) as the 41 novel Discworld series. Though, I suppose they're not too intellectually challenging a read. Being humorous helps. Still? I can't see myself pulling that trigger anytime soon.
0 Replies