Matthew 5 and 25 are not read by Christians.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 07:30 am
@Linkat,
Exactly. This one in particular was awful. The tune they sung for the Lord's Prayer was the most miserable dirge I've ever encountered. I've not heard it sung anywhere else.

My kids never went to church, they didn't want to go and neither did I apart from obligatory attendance at things like Boy's Brigade and school carol concerts.

That was it, if there is a God I can't see he'd want us to spend our worship counting down the seconds and ticking off the hymns before we could get out.

I spend my Sunday Mornings at Car Boot sales, or did before the lockdown.

It's not for me, but I'm not going to stand in the way of anyone else doing it if they want.
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 07:53 am
@izzythepush,
The city I grew up in for whatever reason draws immigrants. When I was a kid it was polish and Lithuania if you can believe that. Polish Catholic Church was a stones throw away from us. I even attended the Lithuanian church a few times ... didn’t understand a thing but my best friends dad snuck over to the US when he was a teen.

Now it is more Cape Verdians, Portuguese, Brazilians ... when my parents were young it was Italian and Irish.

Just interesting how the culture has changed and yes The churches too. No more polish and Lithuania churches.. they have changed with the culture of the city.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 08:33 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Your experience... there are some that are segregated in part because we have many immigrants that want to go to churches that speak their predominant language... my daughter has gone with her friends to “their” Brazilian church before ... they have translation into English.

But there are many that are also diversified. We used to go to one that was very diversified. The more contemporary one closer to where we live now is less diversified still many people of various backgrounds but more “white” overall.

The one thing I notice is there are more mixed race couples.

Churches are still incredibly segregated (with only a few exceptions), not only by race but also by social class. It is not just language. Step into the majority of churches and 95% or more of the people will be the same race.

Again... my point of this thread was to point out the hypocrisy of conservatives using religion to push a political ideology. You kind of jumped into a thread that wasn't really meant for you.

But just like I think Jesus would, I welcome anyone into my threads.

livinglava

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 12:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Churches are still incredibly segregated (with only a few exceptions), not only by race but also by social class. It is not just language. Step into the majority of churches and 95% or more of the people will be the same race.

Again... my point of this thread was to point out the hypocrisy of conservatives using religion to push a political ideology. You kind of jumped into a thread that wasn't really meant for you.

But just like I think Jesus would, I welcome anyone into my threads.

Churches are sinners gathering to celebrate the good news of salvation and redemption from sin.

People who are in denial of sin are doing their best to avoid and resist sins they associate with others, but they are gradually falling to their own temptations, including the temptation to deny that they are sinners like all the church-goers they consider hypocrites for being sinners even though they go to church.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:31:19