Unemployment Benefits During Pandemic

harpazo

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:36 pm
My weekly claims for unemployment benefits so far have been processed and authorized but no money has been deposited into my bank account. I have NOT been able to reach anyone from the department of labor by phone at 888-209-8124. What does this mean? What can I do to find out where my money is? I was placed on furlough almost 3 weeks ago due to COVID-19.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 410 • Replies: 17

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:38 pm
@harpazo,
Call your Congressional Rep and tell them. It's their job to help you with stuff like this.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 07:50 pm
My wife's claim has not even been processed. There are two phone numbers she can call. When she calls one, she is told to call the other. When she does so, she gets a recording saying that they are not answering the phone or returning calls.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:13 pm
@harpazo,
Can you check online at your local unemployment site?
I am not sure where you're located, but here in CA you'll get a credit card sent by the unemployment office and every 2 weeks they put the amount that's available to you on the card. You either can transfer it to your bank account or use it as a credit card.
harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:43 am
@jespah,
I do not have time to call a Congressional Representative nor is anyone available to take calls. The main goal for me is to find out where my money is going to. My weekly claims have been processed and authorized thus far. So, why am I not getting my money?
harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 04:52 am
@Brandon9000,
I am so sorry that your wife is going through this nightmare. It seems that some people have no issues with their unemployment weekly claims while others never get through. It is super clear to me that the Department of Labor all across the USA was not ready to handle the enormous amount of applicants.

We were not expecting the virus to reach America. This is what Dr. Fauci said but HE WAS WRONG, VERY WRONG. I have 3 weeks to find income or else my next place of resident will be a NYC homeless shelter for men. Could you imagine what a shelter in NYC must be like? I live in NYC. Shelters here are a glimpse of HELL, if there is such a place.
0 Replies

harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:11 am
@CalamityJane,
The NYC Department of Labor is closed due to COVID-19. THE WEBSITE does not display where my money is going to. My weekly claims thus far have been processed and authorized but NO MONEY HAS BEEN POSTED to my bank account. The only way to solve the problem is to get in touch with someone from the Department of Labor, which has become a nightmare due to the enormous amount of applicants. America was not ready to handle so many cases of unemployed citizens.

In NYC, applicants are allowed to select payment by a credit card system or direct deposit. I selected DIRECT DEPOSIT. So, this means the money should have been posted to my checking account. In NYC, payments are posted on Wednesday and Thursday. I checked yesterday and NO MONEY has been posted. I plan to call my bank again today.

Some people get through while others never get their money. I am on furlough NOT BY CHOICE. However, Governor Cuomo decides when to open all places of entertainment in New York City. I work at a museum. All museums, the Bronx Zoo, the NY Aquarium, Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, etc are not expected to be open to the public until the Fall, if they open at all. I am super worried. If I do not get my money soon, a homeless shelter for men is the only other choice. Can you imagine what a shelter in NYC must be like?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 06:18 am
@harpazo,
https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/factsheets/pdfs/P808.pdf

You may want to try using a relay operator and calling on the TTY line for the deaf. I ain't kiddin'.

I'm sorry this is happening. Normally, I would be telling you to go down there and just hang around until they dealt with you, but that's not possible right now.

I still say you should be making time to call your Congressional office because at least you have a fighting chance of getting help from them. Or try your local consumer affairs reporter. With either of these people, it's highly likely you're not alone in frustration, so they may be able to help you in ways you haven't thought of.

And Brandon, I'm sorry this is happening to your wife, too. I strongly suspect the full extent of unemployment will still not be known for a while because of so many people being unable to make claims. Is it possible to try in the middle of the night? I know that sounds nuts, but the site may not be as busy.
harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:42 am
@jespah,
The site is locked down at 7:30pm. No access online or via phone at midnight. I got a key card in the mail that I must activate immediately. Perhaps, my money is in the card system, a system I did not select. I selected direct deposit. This tells me the DOL is going bunkers dealing with so many people.
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:54 am
@harpazo,
harpazo wrote:

I do not have time to call a Congressional Representative nor is anyone available to take calls. The main goal for me is to find out where my money is going to. My weekly claims have been processed and authorized thus far. So, why am I not getting my money?

If you are unemployed then you should have enough time to call a representative - you have 40 hours a week that you are not working - use that time wisely.

However, I like the idea of looking online to your local unemployment - there are probably troubleshooting and frequently asked questions that might help you.

Also no one should be being kicked out of their homes during this - I believe there are policies in place where this legally cannot happen. Again you might have to work a little bit to find out all this - but the internet is a wonderful thing full of places to find information.

I think everyone needs to be a little patient. There is a very large amount of people claiming unemployment so it would be difficult for them to personally deal with all the calls - you would probably get an answer quicker if you go to the website and do a little research.

You want the money - do a little work for it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 11:03 am
@harpazo,
harpazo wrote:

The site is locked down at 7:30pm. No access online or via phone at midnight. I got a key card in the mail that I must activate immediately. Perhaps, my money is in the card system, a system I did not select. I selected direct deposit. This tells me the DOL is going bunkers dealing with so many people.

Ok it seems you got what you need. You have a key card - activate it.

I know anything government is a huge frustration. You add this pandemic on top and it multiples. I think we have all at one time or another dealt with this - unfortunately often times you simply need to be persistent and proactive - not that you should but if you want the money you gotta do it.

My brother is trying to deal with an issue with our state's registry of motor vehicles and unfortunately he found out he has to go to a registry - well with the pandemic there are only a handful of registries open and you need to make an appointment - the only one that had one available appointment was a 2 hour or more drive away.

It sucks but we really have no other choice. If you are being threatened to be kicked out of your home - I would reach out to yep another government agency - department of housing authority or similar - during this pandemic you should be in a position to protect your housing.
harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:27 pm
@CalamityJane,
I got the keycard today and money has been posted in the card. I selected direct deposit but they decided to set me up with a debit-like card. All the glory belongs to Jesus.
0 Replies

harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
Card has been activated. Money in the card. Problem solved (for now).
harpazo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 12:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Check your postal service. I got a card in the mail today. Look out for a keycard which is like a debit card. Your may have been selected for a card that must be activated to get money.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:37 pm
@harpazo,
harpazo wrote:

hallelujah..praise the Lord, will wonders never cease!

Glad you got your cash
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 07:33 pm
@harpazo,
harpazo wrote:

You see, the card works - for future references, always choose the card - it's much easier for them to work in this manner and for you it shouldn't matter as long as you get your money.

I am glad you have your unemployment funds now and can take a breather. I know how upsetting and unsettling this all is. Good luck to you!
harpazo

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 04:36 am
@Linkat,
Thank you. God came through yet again. I do not like what the church has become but I never forget my need for a Savior, that is, the Lord Jesus Christ. I do not live my life to satisfy God in any way. God knows the heart but the love of God is beyond human understanding. God is not obligated to help me or anyone else but He did and He does.
0 Replies

harpazo

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 04:43 am
@CalamityJane,
Thank you. This COVID-19 situation and the looters burning and destroying buildings and causing mayhem across the USA, even in my home town NYC, has been more than we can bear. I do not worship money but certainly needed to survive. Honestly, I did not know what was going to happen to me if I did not receive my unemployment benefits. I still rather work. Working is more secure than the Department of Labor. If I make a simple error or click on the wrong number, my benefits can be suspended. This situation remains very scary and unsettling.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Unemployment Benefits During Pandemic
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 09:42:04