Trump's executive orders and the implications for social media

Webb

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 02:09 am
@livinglava,
While I don't agree with everything you said in this thread, you're the only one making salient points. And then you get gang down voted.

If it wasn't so sad and pathetic it might be funny.
Webb

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 02:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
White people haven’t been scapegoated for the past 2000 years.

Laughing White people are the scapegoat dujour.

Quote:
White people weren’t exterminated in the Holocaust.

Jews are mostly 'white'.

Quote:
White people have never been oppressed just for being white.

White people aren't being 'oppressed', but they are literally the only group that it's socially acceptable to be openly bigoted against, especially white men.

Quote:
Black people are being oppressed today.

Not in western society. Not by a long shot. If that was true you wouldn't see police kneeling before black mobs. You wouldn't see white people debasing themselves on social media to atone for their 'white sins'.
0 Replies

Webb

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 02:41 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is a big difference between being persecuted because of the color of your skin... and being criticized because you are a racist asshole.

Being persecuted for the color of your skin is not, under any circumstances in western modernized countries, socially acceptable. Not one bit. There is no way that someone could post something openly racist on facebook and gain social support for it, if it wasn't outright banned in the first place. People who are openly racist become social pariahs. They lose friends.

What is perfectly socially acceptable however, is using incredibly subjective criteria to declare someone a "racist asshole" so that others will dog-pile and shame them.

Like I said, being a conservative in the year 2020 is like being a black person during the Jim Crow era. It's true!

One of the primary ways this occurs is that the far left thinks that we all live in a cartoon version of the real world. They believe that caricatures of people instead of actual human beings exist, and that they are the only righteous, morally superior people around to stop these clowns. Caricatures of people who are sort of like the bully who kicks sand in the skinny guy's face in the old Charles Atlas ads, or like all conservatives are somehow Biff Tannen from the Back To The Future movies.

https://i.redd.it/rc1rq5yjn5331.png

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/33/BTTF2_004.jpg/601px-BTTF2_004.jpg

Bullies like that don't exist in real life. Those are cartoons. Real people are complex mixes of many different things, both good and bad. Some people on the right understand this fact of life. Most people on the left don't.
livinglava

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:13 am
@Webb,
Webb wrote:

While I don't agree with everything you said in this thread, you're the only one making salient points. And then you get gang down voted.

If it wasn't so sad and pathetic it might be funny.

Thank you for reading without bias. Most people here downvote me because I have criticized the Democratic party. They accuse me of being a Trump supporter, but I've never even really supported Trump except by criticizng anti-Trumpism. They are engaged in a culture of group solidarity against an enemy, i.e. Trump; so they just keep attacking Trump and anyone else who fails to attack him, hoping to get as many people as possible on the side of attacking him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 10 Jun, 2020 06:53 pm
@Webb,
actually, like being a conservative in 2020 is the equivalent of being a Democrat in 1940. Democratic Party, by being the wide open "verybody welcome" party, had a significant amount of racist KKK members in the early to mid 20th century. Then, immediately after civil Rights Act was signed. Those guys split and joined the GOP, where their bairn still gather.
Webb

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Democratic Party, by being the wide open "verybody welcome" party, had a significant amount of racist KKK members in the early to mid 20th century. Then, immediately after civil Rights Act was signed. Those guys split and joined the GOP, where their bairn still gather.

Citation for your nonsense claim?

Oh, what's this? Former Grand Wizard of the KKK Robert Byrd smooching up on Hillary? Photographic evidence? Amazeballs how actual reality works...

https://i.imgur.com/ozOK9KW.jpg
farmerman

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 03:33 am
@Webb,
read a bit of history and you will learn.
Webb

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 04:15 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
read a bit of history and you will learn.

Which version exactly? And where are the unbiased citations? Perhaps I should 'Google' it, since our tech overlords are so impartial?

It's hard when you don't have actual facts on your side, I know.

I'm crying a real tear for you.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 04:31 am
@Webb,
Why post pictures that are well-known to be fake? It doesn't help your argument — at all.

Quote:
The (...) image is a composite of at least two different photographs. While the source image for the body is unknown, the image of Byrd’s face was taken from an official U.S. Senate portrait:

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2016/06/719px-Robert_Byrd_official_portrait.jpg?w=719

While the manipulated image of Robert Byrd in Klan garb originated in 2004, the image saw a resurgence in popularity during the 2016 presidential elections. This image was frequently attached to an image of Byrd kissing Hillary Clinton on the cheek, insinuating that Clinton had a relationship with the senator while he was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

nacredambition

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 04:39 am
@Webb,
Quote:
I am very middle of the road in my politics.

And quite the comedian.
0 Replies

Webb

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 04:46 am
@hightor,
Byrd (a democrat) was a member of the KKK who founded his own chapter of the hate group. FACT

Hillary and Byrd were close friends. Hillary supported Byrd. FACT

I'm sorry that reality is a bitter pill for you, but that doesn't make it any less real. I will play a violin for you...
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 05:08 am
@Webb,
Quote:
Byrd (a democrat) was a member of the KKK

I know that Byrd was a KKK member. I thought everyone did. That doesn't excuse you posting a doctored photo.
Quote:
Hillary and Byrd were close friends. Hillary supported Byrd.

So what? Common knowledge as well. Byrd was an influential and important senator
Quote:
When Byrd died in 2010, he had served in the Senate longer than anyone else; the New York Times described him as "a pillar of Capitol Hill." In a statement, then-President Barack Obama called him "a voice of principle and reason." Biden said Byrd was "a dear friend."

He was also once a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

"It has emerged throughout my life to haunt and embarrass me and has taught me in a very graphic way what one major mistake can do to one’s life, career, and reputation," Byrd wrote in a 2005 memoir.

Quote:
I'm sorry that reality is a bitter pill for you, but that doesn't make it any less real.

I don't know what you're talking about. What Byrd did in the 1940's isn't something that concerns me. Nor do I care if Democratic senators are friends.
Quote:
I will play a violin for you...

Oh, how nice. Do you know either of the violin parts for Verklärte Nacht? Pulling up a chair...

farmerman

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 05:14 am
@Webb,
you make it sound like noone knows about Byrd.WE ALL KNOW he was a member of the Klan in his first years in the Legislature. He also later,repudiated his membership and became an example of mea culpa in the years after the 1950's. He wasnt a klansman when he voted against the Civil Rights Act nd Voter's Rights Act but he still wasnt fully anti-klan till several years to a decade later. In the meantime most of the Southern "Dixiecrats" became GOPers. Starting with the August Senator from Edgefield S C

There are members of the SOuthern GOP who are still klansman at heart.

YOU should be the one who studies history a bit more to see what the role pf the Civil Rights Act had on the Republican Party.History isnt spun on the actions of one man (maybe Ill modify that once we get rid of Trump) and it isnt as simple minded as you seem to spell out.

Just a thought, reading wont kill ya and , who knows , you may learn something that youve not been spoon fed.
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 05:32 am
@farmerman,
What I want to know is, if the Clinton-Byrd connection is so damning, why Webb would actually admit to this:
Webb wrote:
I voted for Hillary in the last election...
farmerman

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 05:36 am
@hightor,
everyone has apprently had a massive change of heart after 2016. Look how many Trumpies have evolved from RINO's.
"With malice toward none", I suggest we reinvite many of them back into the realm of our noble experiment after Scratch is dethroned.
farmerman

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 05:38 am
@farmerman,
In my 20's I was a Young Republican. (They had somma the best bars and booze)
0 Replies

Webb

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 01:47 am
@hightor,
Quote:
That doesn't excuse you posting a doctored photo.

It's not a 'doctored photo'. it's an artistic representation of who Byrd was as a person. It's presenting him in manner that's congruent with the person he was. It's not representing him in false manner, because he actually was a member of the KKK and wore that kind of garb. He was a bigot.

News stations do this kind of thing literally every day. You know those graphics that display over the anchor's shoulder while he's reading a story? Those are very frequently 'doctored photos'. They're photos that the person doing graphics for the show made in Photoshop that represent the story in a picture. This is common place in journalism.

Quote:
Byrd was an influential and important senator

And a Klansman who was a democrat. Fact.
Webb

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 01:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
There are members of the SOuthern GOP who are still klansman at heart.

That's an outright lie. Where is your citation for this claim?

The KKK was started by the democrat party. FACT.

Robert Byrd (democrat senator) was a member of the KKK who founded his own chapter of the hate group. FACT.

Hillary and Byrd were close friends. Hillary supported Byrd. FACT.

Joe Biden told black people to stay in their place, or else "They're not black". FACT.

Where is your proof that anyone in the GOP are 'klansmen at heart'?

You have no proof for your claims because they are 100% bullshit. You're a liar spreading bullshit.

You're full of ****.

hightor

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 05:11 am
@Webb,
Quote:

It's not a 'doctored photo'. it's an artistic representation of who Byrd was as a person.

No, it's a doctored photo. The head from his senate portrait was placed over the body of someone wearing a Klan outfit (and we don't even know if it's an accurate representation of the costume presumably once worn by Byrd) in order to make it look like he's dressed in a Klan outfit.
Quote:
...because he actually was a member of the KKK and wore that kind of garb. He was a bigot.

So what? He eventually changed his mind about race relations and apologized for his former behavior.
Quote:
You know those graphics that display over the anchor's shoulder while he's reading a story? Those are very frequently 'doctored photos'.

Not even similar. They're not endlessly copied and sent over social media, or in this case, combined with pictures of the senator and Hillary Clinton in an attempt to besmirch both politicians and the party they belong to.
Quote:
Hillary and Byrd were close friends. Hillary supported Byrd. FACT

So why'd you vote for her?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 05:36 am
@Webb,
Senators of the same age as Byrd included Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond William Fulbright Ernest Hollings etc. These were DIxiecrats who members of the "Southern Strategy" which accounted for the GOP's becoming the patron of segregation after Thurmond lost in his presidential bid as a Dixiecrat.(Dixiecrats were a third party as these guys were laving the Democratic Party as it gradually divested itself of its segregation hitory after Reconstruction). Im not certain that they ALL were KKK members but were sympathizers)
The loss of these governors, and legislators to the GOP happened gradually after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act . It occured gradually in the 70's an 80's . The Southern Strategy still lives in GOP platforms, except that the language has been loaded with "coe talk" .

Read the Lyndon Johnson book. Its a good read about history of the middle 20th century

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:46:21