I’ll never use Uber Eats again

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 07:34 am
@chrisgriffin42975,
chrisgriffin42975 wrote:

I done Uber eats and sometime i had to wait 10-20 mins for the order just to drive it 1 mile away for 4 dollars no tip. that happened 50% of the time so you do the math. people dont always tip 90% of the time they don't. drivers get almost nothing after car gas charges 4 dollars sometime you driver 7 miles just to pick the order up with lights and traffic easy 10 + mins on top of other waiting time for 4 dollars why they have to if anything you shouldnt use them because they refuse to pay the drivers a fair wage for time spent

I agree - my daughter has done postmates - I helped her out one time by being the driver so she could just run out and pick up and drop off the items.

One time we had to wait in a long line at Wendy's so even though the delivery was like you said a mile or two - it took a good amount of time because you had to wait in the drive through.

Also some places you need to order and the order can take 20 minutes just like if you were to order yourself. I told my daughter before you drive there, call ahead and put the order in - it saves you time.

But yeah I agree some people are very generous and tip well - others not at all - and often times with think it is because the driver is being slow whereas they are just stuck in a long line to pick up food.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:09 am
@jcboy,
There are generally better options available. Hook up with the local restaurant groups to find out who they are using and what they charge. There are other apps that charge restos less and pay drivers better.

There are also a few apps that are free for arranging pickups. They're of course generally best in urban settings where people can do walk-ups.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:36 am
Its weird: a business model that the driver is cheated, the customer feels cheated, and the restaurant gets screwed and blamed for cold food.

eCommerce is a strange world.

People are concerned with their information exposed everywhere and yet document their lives minutely by the minute on FB, twitter and google.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:42 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The platform is the moneymaker.

As a result of a recent legal decision here, drivers are held to be employees ( under the dependent v independent contractor assessment) - and one platform has already left the local market. That's a good thing.

http://lawofwork.ca/how-the-ontario-labour-board-ruled-foodora-workers-are-employees/
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:44 am
@jcboy,
I've never used them in the first place, and never will.

Apart from the 30% charge to the restaurant, you have no idea what they could have done to your food on the way to your place. It's common that people find that some of their food is missing because at least some of it's been eaten by the person delivering the food. More to the point: the delivery driver doesn't work for the restaurant, and therefore can blame the restaurant. But it wouldn't be in their interest to steal if they DID work for the restaurant though.

So I don't trust "third parties" to deliver my food.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:45 am
The problem is that the customers are unreasonable.

The restaurants do what is best for them. They want more business, the delivery services give them more business. If the delivery services weren't good for the restaurants the restaurants wouldn't use them.

The worst thing for restaurants is if some silly boycott means that customers eat out less. The restaurants would much prefer you use the delivery service even with a 30% commission. A boycott against delivery services is a boycott against restaurants (unless you are honestly picking up your own food as frequently as you would be ordering from a delivery service).

Someone has to pay the cost of delivery.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:53 am
My personal opinion is that tipping should go away.

A delivery driver is doing a job and providing a service. They should be paid a set rate that gives them a reasonable standard of living (more than minimum wage). Asking them to depend on the random generosity of customers isn't reasonable.

Whether the customers pay for delivery, or the restaurants do, doesn't matter. Although, if I go pick up my own food, I think my cost should be lower than for people who have their food delivered.

What about a flat delivery fee?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:17 pm
The economics gets even more artificial when you think about the true costs of the food you are eating. Food that is delivered has much lower costs to the restaurant.

Imagine a take-out restaurant that has no dining area. All they are is a kitchen. This restaurant...

- Pays a significantly lower rent. It eeds much less space than a traditional restaurant, and can be put in a low rent district.

- Doesn't need to pay waitstaff salaries or benefits. There's no hostess or busboy and significantly less need for cleaners.

- Doesn't ever need to replace a plate or a fork or fix a table, or for that matter to wash all the dishes used in a traditional restaurant.

We are paying more for food delivered by restaurants because this is a unique situation. Once competition starts from these "dark" kitchens with no restaurants attached serving delivery only food... the real restaurants will not be able to compete.

If Uber Eats starts cooking their own food... and if they hire good chefs and produce a high quality meal at a lower cost, what happens to traditional restaurants then?

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:31 am
@maxdancona,
The rise of specialty Food Trucks are all over. We have a Church lot where several specialty food trucks are allowed to park and set up and sell thir wares. We have a cheese steak, truck, a Pulled pork /Brisket bar b cue, a bunch of "State Fair crap wagons (fried creme filled donuts, broiled Twinkies etc), and several mex andTex Mex Trucks. ALL HAVE provocative or silly names (I guess so w remember em)

We; get some take out a few nights a week (Secret is to buy the pulled pork asa pckage with no rolls-They pack em so tight that for us, we get two sammiches out of one load of meat)

We are just at the edges where delivery food places , (like pizza joints) will deliver. They usually have a "limit" and when you live in highly rural areas, you are hoping for aDominoes within a 10 mile radius .

All the good ones for us, Like Suko Thai, or Mongolian Grille, are all IN LAncaster and are 25 miles or more from us, so were sunk.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:01 am
@farmerman,
Domino's is a magnitude of 10 better than they used to be!!! I'm pretty satisfied with their new sandwiches.

Too bad the Amish don't deliver, you might even have gotten some fertilizer out of the deal.
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Domino's is a magnitude of 10 better than they used to be!!! I'm pretty satisfied with their new sandwiches.

Too bad the Amish don't deliver, you might even have gotten some fertilizer out of the deal.

Take a while with a horse and buggy!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:11 am
@Linkat,
Yep. But the Amish know how to pack things to keep them warm. The bug in the ointment is how to I get my order to them? No phones. In Applecreek, there are several great Amish restaurants serving down home good food. But you have to write them a letter to pre-order takeout.
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Yep. But the Amish know how to pack things to keep them warm. The bug in the ointment is how to I get my order to them? No phones. In Applecreek, there are several great Amish restaurants serving down home good food. But you have to write them a letter to pre-order takeout.

Carrier Pigeon!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 09:19 am
@Linkat,
Might work! Then again I might end up with squab au poivre. Or as the Amish say it, rückenlehne.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 11:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I only know of ONE actual restaurant run by the Amish (and they have to be inppartnership with Mennonites to a49% level) .They do that so the Amish bishops dont get all cheesed out at electric lights phones etc.
As far as food, Ive never ever relly liked any of the Amish restaurant dishes (execept schnitts und Knepp , shoo fly mit Kase=, or a roasted turkey mit Kattufeln meise) .
Most EVERYTHING they cook is loaded with sugar and is entirely too sweet. Imagine ribs that taste like theyre covered with pancake syrup.

BLAAAHHHH
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 11:34 am
@farmerman,
That's not been my experience but maybe it has to do with Lancaster being such a tourist area and modifying the menu to suit the tourists.

I've never seen Amish barbecue! But the roast pork shoulder is pretty damned good, as well as are the sausages. Great cheeses, too, and bread. The desserts are meh.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 11:47 am
As an aside - whenever I hear about Amish - I think back when my daughter was a preteen. We had a basketball tournament near the Lancaster area. We brought the kids around the Amish spots and explained how they lived.

My daughter loving her phone and all the great electronic conveniences could not get over the fact that someone would actually want to live that way. I tried to explain how nice it might be to live so simply - she wanted no part of it. She was horrified at the thought.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Only proves you can't miss what you don't have.

We gave up cell phones 15 years ago. My wife got a smart phone for Christmas two years ago and it was helpful when I had a major surgery a year ago to keep her apprised of how it was going when it went into overtime. And it was convenient on our last two trips finding motels. I still don't know the number and 90% of the time its on a charger dock.

When we travel she does play games.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
My smart phone is used 99% of its on-time, as a camera. I have Rocklogger for field work and a notebook for site work. The real data I put on a Notebook and I have melded the fild notes with the photos .My Rocklogger gives me a photo scale (like a ruler) so I can examine the rock in detail since most of it is for rare earth elements . THEN, before I leave a site, I find a Wifi Hotspot and send all my **** to a base computer cause I lose phones very now and again.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 03:50 pm
@farmerman,
So you bury he occasional phone? One of these days there'll be a 'phone tree' growing in one of your fields!