Does the Census Call to verify your information?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 03:18 pm
I received a call today on my cell phone saying they were from the 2o20 Census and they wanted to verify my information. I told them I sent in the census (which I had), however, they said they wanted to read me my information and if I could just verify it.

Well I told her I did not feel comfortable providing information on the phone from a random person that says they are from the Census. She told me if I held on she could provide me where I can check to confirm they are actually who they say they are.

I was waiting for curbside pick up of my pup that just FINALLY got a groom so I just hung up not wanting to deal.

So if you fill out your census and send it in - do they actually call to verify your data? More curious as I will not provide information of any kind over the phone from someone I did not initiate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 453 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 03:21 pm
If you receive a call from the Census Bureau and you would like to independently verify that the number is from the Census Bureau, you can call: 1-800-523-3205
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
That doesn't sound right, it's good that you ended the call.

Lately I've been receiving emails claiming to be Amazon saying my account has been locked, or my credit card needs to be updated....some of them look very authentic......it's not Amazon, it's scammers
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 03:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If you receive a call from the Census Bureau and you would like to independently verify that the number is from the Census Bureau, you can call: 1-800-523-3205

Yeah but do not scammers use legit phone numbers so you think you are getting a call from somewhere? That is the issue I have - if I call check it is ok and it is their number, but a scammer is using that as an id.

I looked up the number to see what people say - half say it is a scam the other half say yes it is the census.

If they call again - I will just call the census back directly and tell them if they want me to verify something I will do so only by me calling them directly.

Scammers are just too savvy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 03:39 pm
@glitterbag,
i had a message on the machine today. My account (unnamed) was going to be billed for my subscription to (also unnamed) for $3xx.00 if I didn't call back to cancel whatever subscription. His mumbling voice was so distinctive, I realized he had called before. None of my accounts has been charged.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 05:32 pm
Think about it . . . the census bureau polled almost 120,000,000 households in the last cycle. How many employees would they need in order to call everyone? It's a good thing you hung up, that's bullshit.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 05:51 pm
@Linkat,
The Census Bureau does indeed make follow up calls. It's part of their quality control program. They may read some of your responses to you.

There have been items about this in the news recently.

It's not new and you are free to refuse to respond.

They don't call everybody, it's somewhat random.
I'm some ways, it's like the forms were in 1980 when a small percentage got a long form of the census which had weird questions (how many stairs are in your home/building....that is one I will never forget...or understand why it was asked)

Past personal experience: 1980, I received one phone call and it's main purpose was to verify the number of people living at the address.

2000 census was extensive. It also included a letter from the bureau which told me who would be conducting the phone interview.

Among other things, she asked about neighboring addresses where forms had not been returned from. In one of them, I knew the people had moved out at about the time of the census.

There were (2000) monthly follow up calls which had additional questions, and I was allowed to not answer any which I was uncomfortable with (income, education, religious beliefs) then it stopped and a letter was sent thanking me for the participation.

Again,nobody is required to do any responding on follow up calls
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 06:02 pm
Oh, as a side note, I never sent the form back in 2010. I never responded to the 2 notices put under my door, reminding me (put there by one of the many temporary workers who go from home to home attempting to get a response from every address. Due to the pandemic, I am not sure if that is being done this year.

Filled out online this year. Did not fill out the one for the neighbors who exited suddenly last April (2019), even though the form landed in my mailbox.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:12 pm
@Sturgis,
So there is this local radio station that does a prank call.. they say they are calling from the senseless bureau and will ask a normal question and then start asking more and more unusual and often times inappropriate questions until the person hangs up with the goal to see howhat many crazy questions they can adk.

I wonder why no one catches on when they say they are calling from the senseless bureau.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:20 pm
@Linkat,
People just ain't too swift in many cases.

That, along with muffled hearing, being preoccupied with other things.
Always have a caller repeat who they are, it helps.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 04:13 am
@Linkat,
I never answer my cell phone unless the number is in my contacts. And if I have a missed call and they don’t leave a voice mail the number gets blocked.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 06:12 am
@jcboy,
Yeah I do this at home, but my personal cell phone was once my work phone so I sometimes still get work calls on my cell and often times I don’t recognize the number. I mean I get calls from India that are legit so I simply deal with the occasional spam but typically I just hang up.

This Asian robot From the Chinese consulate calls me many times though. I try to tell her I do not Speak any Chinese dialects but it just doesn’t get into that robots head.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:06 am
So they called again - I was on another call so they left a voicemail with a case number. I looked it up on the census website and this was the number they had - so I called them back today and took my 5 minutes to complete my civic duty. I would say they were very pleasant on the phone.

All is good.

I still do not talk to the robo Asian person from the "Chinese Consulate". It is kind of funny because the call starts out in English where it explains it is an urgent call from the Chinese Consulate it tells you to hold on and then someone starts talking in some Chinese (or at least I assume it is) dialect.f
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does the Census Call to verify your information?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:52:43