When Life Gives You Lemons/ Positive Changes Caused by Covid 19

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 01:57 pm
There has been so much focus on the negative caused by Covid 19. I started to think about some positive fundamental changes in the way people do things, and how it would impact on society in general, even when the problem is solved.

* More people will work from home- permanently, and just have meetings from time to time. This will impact on the commercial real estate market, as well as the clothing industry.

* Internet buying will increase, which will also have an effect (it has already) on malls, and super markets.

* My local newspaper only prints on Wednesday and Sunday (for the ads). Otherwise, I read the paper of the internet. Actually, I like that system better. No black fingers, less garbage. This change, if continued, could have a profound effect on a number of industries.

What do you think? Could these changes continue, and change the very workings of society?

roger

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Looks like my answer got lost.

The good news is that there's lots of parking at local restaurants.

The bad news is that the local restaurants are closed.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:13 pm
@roger,
I would think the bad news was the people who died, are presently dying, or will die.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:21 pm
@roger,
Rog- In my neck of the woods, the restaurants are open at 50% capacity. Even though, at this point, I will not go to a restaurant. If I were 20 years younger, maybe. I think though that "people of a certain age" are playing Russian roulette with their lives.

Last week I ordered delivery from one of my usual go to restaurants. The food was lukewarm, and I had to put the stuff in my dishes, and warm it up in the microwave. Figured that if I had to run back and forth, I might just as well make my own dinner.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
It's long overdue!

Since the internet became large enough to reduce purchase of newspapers and magazines, has been clear that change was due. The landfills and the forests are better and so too is the air.

Buying online has been my preferred method for a long time. Including for groceries. Physical store size can be reduced, as warehouses of grocery products can be accessed by workers. Instead of stocking shelves, they will fill cartons, bags etc. These can be delivered to customers or a person can drive by to collect their stuff. I've been using mainly online grocery shopping for near on twenty years.

Education can be altered to a large extent at home. Bring on the half day sessions with split shifts (lower grades in either a.m. or p.m. and upper grades in the other.). Reduce school sizes to half.

Another thing which has happened is the re-emergence of nature!
Less trimming or ripping out foliage along roadways and parks. Birds are happier as are the bees. (squirrels are probably annoyed that they aren't being brought as many treats, but, they'll be healthier)

The number of birds here in NYC is stunning me this year. Between the chirping contentedly through the day (past 5:30 p.m. here and they're still at it. Plus some bird species I've never seen before in the city. Much friendlier for them with reduced traffic....both street and air.

Maybe the tragic events of the virus will get people to remember how the planet should be.

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 04:51 pm
@Sturgis,
we read every newspaper over breakfast. I like that. I do not like sitting in front of a screen. In nice weather I can carry the paper and coffee in the same hand and go outside and sit in the sun or go to a room in the house or even the uhh "head".

I do downlod audio books (except text books or tech papers which I must print out )

I really believe that we only do stuff by e commerce just because "we can"
How do yoou choose (on the first shot) the right Brie or Daffinois cheese on the internet?? Aged cheddars are especially needful of taste then buy.

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 08:05 pm
@farmerman,
I agree that there are things in groceries that are better chosen individually. What I find though, is that most of the stuff that I buy online is heavy, which I would prefer not to carry. After all, once one decides on a favorite toilet tissue, there is no advantage to picking the item out at the super market.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 08:06 pm
@Sturgis,
I think that you have made some wonderful points, beyond what I had originally considered.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 08:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
I congratulate you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 09:36 pm
@Brandon9000,
I am a firm believer that every creature, be it a flower, a bird, or a human being, has a programmed expiration date. These dates may be modified by the type of care a being affords himself, but it will eventually catch up with him.

Over the years, nature has produced many pandemics, wars,and other various and sundry miseries. I expect that is the way that nature "culls the herd"to reach stasus.

I am attempting to avoid oblivion, but truly understand that might be my fate.
In the words of Woody Allen, (who after all, was quite the pholosopher" I don't mind dying, but I don't want to be there when it happens."
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 10:19 pm
@Phoenix32890,
One thing Im wary of is how the Amazons and Walmarts are going to emerge after this is calmed down.
I have a feeling that we are even more closely arriving at plutocratic "democracy"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:20 am
Less pollution.

More people going out and exercising and enjoying nature walks.

Internet shopping I do not think overall helps people - it is causing the smaller businesses to suffer. And lots of boxes to increase waste.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 11:33 am
@Linkat,
Linkat- When I read your post, the first thing that popped into my head was, "high button shoes and buggy whips". I think that when there is a basic change in the economy, the innovators of the world find ways to adapt to a new economy.

I found your remark about more boxes interesting. I have been buying a lot from Amazon, and have used up a number of box clutter blades. Just a few days ago, I received an e mail from Amazon.

Apparently, they have initiated what they call "Amazon Day, " which is optional. What happens is that when you are buying a lot of stuff, you arrange to have it delivered on a particular day. That enables the company to pack your different orders together, thereby decreasing the amount of cartons that they have to use.

I think that as time goes on, there will be more innovation to make the economy more efficient.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 11:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
the other thing is - our local dump (we do not have town trash service) - had closed all the recycling - everything into the trash at the dump.

We work hard to recycle everything we can, but it had been so long - we had no more space for bigger recycling --- like those boxes (I have been using Walmart free 2 day delivery) so we had some large boxes. I just had to throw some of them away.

But alas - card board recycling has just been opened up again today! Hopefully plastic, tin and glass will follow shortly!

But that is what got me on the boxes.
0 Replies

helmi15

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:34 am
@Phoenix32890,
I also think that people have increased their exercise level since the lock-down began.

I, for myself can say that I eat now a lot healthier because most of the bakeries are closed. Smile So, I dropped some weight.

One very interesting thing is, that I have not heard anybody saying that life has slowed down for him- or herself. In the beginning of the crisis many people thought, they will have now more time for themselves. This seems, not to be the case.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 11:38 am
@helmi15,
The slow down - depends - anyone with kids and has the ability to work from home are now on double duty.

So even though there are online classes, parents have to monitor this and ensure their kids are keeping up. And depending on the ages have to keep an eye on them while doing their normal work day stuff.

For me - it is double duty. But I would say on the weekends it is slower. No kids activities so our yard has never looked better!

Neighbors walk by with their kids on bikes and comment - yeah everyone's yards look so nice as we are in the gardens, mulching, etc.

Yeah this year I even put in a little veggie garden.

So although my kid is less scheduled - I am probably just as busy - just in a different way.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 01:18 pm
I really need to exercise. I have found a number of great videos on You Tube. It just is a matter of getting myself off my butt, and doing something!
Sturgis

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 02:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Exercise?
Now you're being mean!
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 03:32 pm
@Sturgis,
Would you believe, that many years ago, that I was a gym rat?? I used to go to the gym three times a week, and stay for hours. I was heavily into high impact aerobics, which has taken its toll on my back.

Now I would be happy if I could do twenty minutes of light exercise!
0 Replies

panther2020

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 04:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
There already are a lot of companies which work via meeting software and airplanes. Generations coming up now will not need to live in large cities.

Likewise there has been a huge uptick in home schooling during the shutdown and many pundits believe that will be permanent.