Question of all time

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 10:17 am
@livinglava,
You are referring to an "ego" without defining it. When you say "you would see through its eye... what does the word "you" refer to?".

Without memory, there is no "you".
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 10:21 am
If I cut your brain in half... and then clone a second half for each of the original halves so that everything functions correctly inside of a cloned body. Then I would have two copies of a living, thinking, feeling human being.

Which half would be "you"?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 10:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are referring to an "ego" without defining it.

Ego isn't a thing. It is events and emotions of self-experience. Mainly the emotions of pride and shame constitute the ego-reflex. You could also say ego happens when you look in the mirror or at a picture and experience the image as yourself and not as just some other person.

Your brain/body is not your ego. It is just a body with a brain. Your mind is also not your ego. If it is just thinking or doing math or whatever, it's just processing. It's when it becomes aware of itself that it 'egoes.' Ego isn't technically a verb, but it should be used as one because as a noun it's just a metaphor for a process or rather a category of self-referential processes of the brain/mind.

Quote:
When you say "you would see through its eye... what does the word "you" refer to?".

It refers to consciousness. Consciousness currently experiences through your eyes/brain and your brain thus is able to think of the body connected to those eyes as being 'you.' But if you were looking through a different set of eyes, you would experience that body as being 'you.'

Think of it like changing phones or computers. You start using a different phone/computer and it has different apps, different photos in the memory, etc. If you didn't have the memory in your brain to remember you had another phone before your current one, you would only know the memories in your current phone. You would think your life started when you started using your present phone because you would have no brain memories or other memories to tell you otherwise.

Quote:
Without memory, there is no "you".

If you woke up with amnesia, you would still experience consciousness, perceive your senses, taste your food, feel pain and pleasure, etc. If you truly lacked any memory to allow you to interpret experiences and perceptions, you might feel very confused, but you would be perceiving, experiencing, and feeling confusion; so there would be consciousness going on within your body/brain.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 11:25 am
@livinglava,
You didn't answer my question....

If I divide your brain into two halves, and provide a cloned half so that each operated perfectly well. And if I put them into two identical cloned bodies... Each half would be "perceiving, experiencing, and feeling confusion; so there would be consciousness going on within your body/brain."

Which half would contain your "conciousness"?
livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 12:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You didn't answer my question....

If I divide your brain into two halves, and provide a cloned half so that each operated perfectly well. And if I put them into two identical cloned bodies... Each half would be "perceiving, experiencing, and feeling confusion; so there would be consciousness going on within your body/brain."

Which half would contain your "conciousness"?

I would only know what I was conscious of.

When I opened my eyes and saw my clone, I would know that I was not conscious through its eyes.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 12:58 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

When I opened my eyes and saw my clone, I would know that I was not conscious through its eyes.

Exactly. Clone A would look at Clone B and say "I am the original because I am conscious."

And Clone B would look at Clone A and say "I am the original because I am conscious".

That is how clones work. It doesn't answer the question of which one of them is actually you.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 01:25 pm
Okay. I understand the lack of coherent logic, now.
So - What if 'if' (ALWAYS Hypothetical) an emu cut my brain in half, and then exploded?

Try and perceive this, whilst underwater, eating shark-Fin-soup, without, wondering why, I used so, many, unnecessary commas, in this........, befuddlement?

A wolf (In a pack) pre-induction of human beings (759k bc-ish) Northern Europe. Woof.

Have a lovely day
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 01:57 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Exactly. Clone A would look at Clone B and say "I am the original because I am conscious."

And Clone B would look at Clone A and say "I am the original because I am conscious".

That is how clones work. It doesn't answer the question of which one of them is actually you.

You didn't ask which one is 'the original,' just which one would you continue as.

They can both be the original if consciousness split into two daughter-consciousnesses.

I have seen video footage of a person whose brain was surgically separated by cutting the corpus collosum as part of some kind of therapy, for epilepsy I think it was but don't quote me.
The person was able to name things they saw when closing one eye, but with the other they drew a blank.

Who knows if consciousness is unified within the brain/body or whether it jumps around between different parts and just thinks its unified because of it always experiencing memory as a coherent past. Unless you are blacking out and later not remembering what happened during the blackouts, you assume that your consciousness is unified, but how can we know that's true and not just our perception?
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 02:37 am
@livinglava,
My question does not have anything to do with reality, behind it there is the question if you re really happy with how life it is, that s all, there is no need of complicate it.
maxdog

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 02:39 am
@maxdancona,
No nothing of that, totally.

I m just asking if you see life as a good thing .
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 02:42 am
@mark noble,
I understand what you mean and I have my opinion on that too, but the main thing that I want to see is your opinion about if life is worth it after all .

ps. you don t need to make a capital letter there for L lovely D day in the start is enough , thanks anyway.
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 07:43 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:

My question does not have anything to do with reality, behind it there is the question if you re really happy with how life it is, that s all, there is no need of complicate it.

Oh, you should have said that in the first place and I would never have bothered with this thread. I thought you were talking about something interesting.
maxdog

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:20 pm
@livinglava,
It s ok . No problem. Thanks for your comments.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 06:35 pm
@maxdog,
I don't have that opportunity and choose not to address something that can never under any circumstances happen.
maxdog

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Like I said we can change the question and ask if you like existence as it is . Because that was my target. It s just an example to deliver my thought.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 10:50 am
@maxdog,
I'll put CapitaL leTters wherE I want.

Is 'Life' Worth it?
YES!

Have A Lovely Day
maxdog

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 02:33 am
@mark noble,
Wow you re one of a kind here.

Keep it up , I m enjoying you.

Have a smashing day today .
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:31:28