Harassment about the military

rhettb

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:04 pm
For almost a decade, total strangers have made remarks in public near me, or to me, about the military, on and off. I got out of the military in 1978. These individuals will refer to me as "enlisted" (which is false), or an "EMT in the Navy" (also false; I was a healthcare worker in the military, but not now; I have a degree in the arts). Some persons will do this in harmless way; others will actually harass me in stores such as Walmart with personally directed insults. During the four years I lived in Arkansas, literally hundreds of strangers made remarks to me or near me about the military for no apparent reason at all, out-of-the-blue. I have reported all this to police before.
I think there are only three possibilities here about the cause.
1. These individuals are aggressive militarists who are infatuated with the military.
2. These people suffer from a mental disorder such as OCD.
3. The individuals are deliberately annoying or harassing a military veteran because they are anti-military. What do you think?

roger

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:18 pm
@rhettb,
Strangers? How do they know your veteran status and military specialty?
engineer

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 07:57 am
@rhettb,
A fourth possibility is that you are taking things way out of context. I live in the South, I'm ex-Navy, and other than some "thanks for your service" comments when I stand up in church on Veterans or Memorial Day, I've never experienced any aggressive behavior based on my veteran status.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 08:08 am
@rhettb,
I wear it proud...

https://www.veteranstuffs.com/tags/female-veteran

https://horsetee.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/redirect-330.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 08:31 am
I've been hearing and reading these type complaints since the early 70s but never encountered any of it to this day.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 08:48 am
@edgarblythe,
I get that a lot.

I have veteran's plates and use the designated parking at certain stores. Snide comments from both men and women fly out of stupid people's mouths all the time. I ignore it. Not much else I should do.

Lowe's offers a 10% military discount and when I go to use it, the minimum wage 20 yr old pipes up with, "tell your husband thanks for his service!" Sometimes I just smile and nod, other times I'll volunteer it's my service, not his.

It's rather disconcerting even to this day, people just don't believe women should be in the military.

Oh well. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 09:28 am
@rhettb,
Do you wear a button Or something that indicates you’re a veteran? If not, than how is it possible that they know in advance?

FWIW, I’m a vet and since the mid-70s I’ve never had a problem that you secribeunless I indicated my status. I’m proud of my service but do not get into or Loki for any trouble (not that I think you do).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 01:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I've been hearing and reading these type complaints since the early 70s but never encountered any of it to this day.

Me neither. My separation was in June of '67
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 01:37 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Strangers? How do they know your veteran status and military specialty?

This bore repeating. As others have pointed out, this just doesn't come up. I separated in February, 1973. The only time it has come up was when taking a civil service exam.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Harassment about the military
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:59:24