The Happy Social Isolationist Club

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 04:13 pm
@chai2,
trubble is, I never get a chance to see em sitting down, theyre always llate for a meeting or something. They build their nests on the sides of our barn beams in the open area . In the summer, when theyre raising chicks its a nuthouse in there but my wife will NOT let me destroy their nests so we put up with the little kamikazees and run all the sheep outside and into distant pastures. In the barn They will fly at you and in the last few feet will quickly duck away and come at you in another direction. For about a three week period before the peeps fledge, they can be downright aggressive. I often wear a hard hat.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 04:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In case anybody missed me, I've been out back clearing up the space around the pine at the property's corner. It is near the fence, so I missed that it has become diseased and has to come down. It is leaning toward the house out there and dangerously close to falling. I have a bonded tree man coming in a few days.

Well if anyone missed me, I was on my daily post office run.

Thrills galore.

Sat, Sun and today I made 9 sales. Probably get 1 or 2 more during the evening.

All these wimmin buying hair color, developer and pigments, and 2 who apparantly have cracked heels.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Sturgis wrote:

The moan and groan of the crybabies is sickening. They drone on, seemingly endlessly. As if somehow that'll gain sympathy from me....

Some comedian tweeted:

Anne Frank spent 2 years hiding in an attic and we’ve been home for just over a month with Netflix, food delivery & video games and there are people risking viral death by storming state capital buildings & screaming, “Open Fuddruckers!”

I have thought this many times.

Also. what about scientists that go to remote regions for months, even years for their research?
Plus artists of all types that spend hours, days, months, years honing their craft?
Add to that athlets that require intense concentration, determination to train to get to that summit, swim through figid waters, perfect that gymnastic move.

We all admire them.

I think people are so unmoored and fractured today.

It's like sheep, goldfish and squirrels were bred together to produce todays humans.

FFS, sit still and be with yourself.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 06:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, bless your heart.

<smootch>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 05:31 pm
Tree man due first thing in the morning. I got to get Rocky out to answer nature's call as early as possible.

My kids were planning to surprise me and the wife with a brand new mobile home to replace our 1982 model, but they blew it today and I found out. Supposed to happen in two or three months. I cautioned them that we are likely on the cusp of a depression and don't do this if there is even a small chance they can't pay it off.
chai2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow Edgar what great kids you have. That is such an amazing gift
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 07:37 pm
@chai2,
Great kids, for sure. But, you know, I'm too old for this ****. They ought to further their children's future instead of my comfort. That's a big investment to make for anybody.
chai2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 08:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah edgar, I know what you mean.

"I don't need nothing new and nice. I'm fine with this one"

Hey, that current home of yours is what? 42 years old? I'll bet this one is much more energy efficient.

Plus, if you want to look at it from the "I'm old as dirt" aspect, figure that if you and the bride croak, they can rent it out for money....or their kids can live in there.

Plus, your wife will be pleased to have a new place, won't she?
chai2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 08:52 pm
@chai2,
Hey edgar, I have a question for you.

My kitchen faucet is one of those standard inexpensive one handle deals, shaped like this, with the, I don't know what you call it, faceplate? that connects it to the sink. That wide part at the bottom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/o0lUA58NGJJ0Pk_KoB-Bc3gWXCDZ4tysPzqydig0SZkAPAjNFa23dxJWb19iA5D5ZLPzA5pul-agJYza8BDhLVeMdrfvhnYJrSv0iIE

Anyway, I had put my house on the market like one week before COVID19 hit, so of course no one wants to buy, and prices have plummeted. My realtor and I both agree I should wait it out until prices go back up (heh, maybe in a year and a half or 2 years)
It's an older house, nothing wrong with it, just outdated for todays world. It would be a teardown.
Saying that to show I don't want to put any money into a house that won't be standing after the sale.

The damn faucet has loosened from the sink, and is about to fall off. A friend explained to go under the sink and there should be bolts to tighten or replace.
Thing is, I went under there today and between the disposal unit which is in the way, and my arms being short as I'm a female type person, I can't even reach up enough in there to feel for anything, let alone fool around with anything I found.

Is there some kind of strong adhesive or something that I can reattach the faucet to the sink from above?

I found some chalk in the mudroom, but no chalking gun. I managed to spread some of it under there a couple of days ago but it didn't work, so I got the caulk up from it.

What kind of jerry rigged thing can I do to just fix it so the damn thing doesn't fall off?

Oh. Water isn't leaking anywhere, so there's that.

Sorry this was long, but you know me.
chai2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 08:55 pm
@chai2,
I see a caulk gun is only a few dollars. I could spring for that. Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 09:39 pm
@chai2,
I don't know of a caulk or glue that will hold it efficiently. The two nuts that snug the faucet to the sink must have cracked. The nuts can be bought at the hardware or Home Depot. Unfortunately, the water lines have to be shut off and disconnected from the faucet before the nuts can be attached. That can be tricky because the gaskets where the water lines connect may have to be replaced, so it's good if you can get a couple of them.

I had a hell of a time with faucets in the apartments because they were buying these goosenecks with the ridiculously small connections in tight places. My hands are too big for a job like that, but I was forced to invent ways to get it done.
chai2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh man, you lost me at water lines have to get shut off.

I guess I'll have to get a handyman to put a new one in.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:37 pm
At that stage, a new one is usually the best solution.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:41 pm
@chai2,
Good. In my town, you need a permit from the city to shut off water at the meter. Not many people know this, and it even applies to licensed plumbers. Hot water can be shut off at the water heater; cold water has to be valved off at the meter.

Not good you need to have this done, of course, but sometimes the simple sounding jobs can go very wrong.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:44 pm
@roger,
My faucet has cut off valves under the sink.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:48 pm
@roger,
I can shut off water to the sinks, tubs and the you know whats right in my house. Maybe because during very cold weather the pipes can burst, that's a nightmare when it happens.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
mine too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 12:13 am
Good planning. Every fixture should be able to be isolated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 09:32 pm
Finally got the tree in back cut down. It was a booger. I've done lots of tough jobs in my life. Never cutting trees. At a younger age I would not be afraid to climb one and try topping it and working my way down, but it would be a one time thing. I'm not cut out to do it for a living.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 10:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Finally got the tree in back cut down. It was a booger. I've done lots of tough jobs in my life. Never cutting trees. At a younger age I would not be afraid to climb one and try topping it and working my way down, but it would be a one time thing. I'm not cut out to do it for a living.

It was a hired job. I may not have been clear on that point.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 06:57:07