Weird items that are out of stock

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 07:52 am
I understand in the current environment that certain items may be difficult to find like hand sanitizer, toilet paper and other similar items. However I have also found that certain items are low or out of stock that defy logic.

This past week I tried to get hollandaise sauce mix for my mother's day breakfast (yes I need to shop for own breakfast items) as eggs Benedict is my favorite.

I tried to get it first via target as you can order and then do curbside backup. When I was online I did a search for the sauce packet, it came up and said "high demand item" - I have learned that you can still select it and it often times is available. Unfortunately in this case it was not. So as I needed milk too and you cannot order that via curbside - I made the visit to the grocery store - No hollandaise sauce? No Bearnaise sauce and they were pretty much out of most of these types of sauce packages. And I was in the store first thing in the morning too - right after the senior hours - so are seniors buying up these sauces along with the toilet paper?

What gives? Why is this low or not in stock?

And please add your "odd" items that are not in stock ---
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 523 • Replies: 15
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 11:04 am
Not “odd,” but I can’t find a thermometer.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:05 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

However I have also found that certain items are low or out of stock that defy logic.

None of this defies logic. Literally makes sense to me.

Quote:
No hollandaise sauce? No Bearnaise sauce and they were pretty much out of most of these types of sauce packages. And I was in the store first thing in the morning too - right after the senior hours - so are seniors buying up these sauces along with the toilet paper?

The only right answer is the supply chain/supply and demand. And senior citizens have nothing to do with it. Weird that you are forgetting a few million Millennials and older folk forced to stay at home, missing favorite brunch outings now resorting to making their own brunches whenever they please to suit their comfort eating needs. They're buying these relatively easy to cook, inexpensive items like ... retail hotcakes.

And it's easy to figure out that the companies that make these sauce packets clearly aren't making new products as they very much aren't and shouldn't be considered necessary industries to remain open and manufacturing doing this current pandemic. Thus, stores don't have any new stock coming in to replenish their shelves.

Since I shop only for myself and haven't been cooking anything more complicated or noteworthy that would use anything other than a microwave, I'm not sure if I noticed any particular unusual out of stock items that I desperately need. I've been fortunate in that way during these past few months.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:10 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Not “odd,” but I can’t find a thermometer.

What kind of thermometer? I can see why both cooking and self-care based thermometers are difficult to find. Do you mean outdoor thermometers? That would be weird if they were low in stock (overall market-wise).
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can find it on amazon - but I really don't want 12 packages so they are still making it. I just cannot find it in the store.

I am just making a joke about the seniors - bearnaise sauce is not a brunch item - only hollandaise sauce - bearnaise sauce - that is typically used on meat or fish. Hollandaise is typically used for eggs Benedict.

I remember some other odd things I was trying to get and it said "low stock" - oh yeah doggie pop bags. Target did the same thing for that it said low inventory but when I selected it they had some. But then when it came for pick up it said they ran out and they would deliver it for free if I wanted it. So I opted for free delivery.

The hollandaise sauce did not even offer free delivery which was similar to how TP, hand sanitizer and paper towels pop up as.

Oh and Honey Bunches of Oats comes up as low inventory - however, whenever I tried to do the pick up they still always have that.
engineer

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:42 pm
We've been baking bread of all sorts, homemade biscuits, pizza dough, bread sticks, bagels, garlic knots, french baguettes, etc. Apparently everyone else is too. Yeast is almost impossible to find. (We scored a one pound bag at Trader Joe's after having to ration.) Flour is in short supply at grocery stores but Sams Club (who has seen their restaurant business suffer) carries monster bags.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:51 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Hollandaise is typically used for eggs Benedict.
Here in Europe, Hollandaise is usually served with fish, seafood and vegetables such as asparagus. And since it's asparagus time just now, you find it everywhere. (Personally, I prefer to make it myself.)

While there was a shortage of toilet paper in the shops a couple of weeks ago, shops now don't know where to store it.
With yeast it's the same - you can buy it nowadays in stores, where you never thought they would have it. (Was no problem here, since the local breweries sold it, too)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:55 pm
@Linkat,
It's been years since I've partaken in a good eggs benedict. Write that into the very long list of things I'm now craving.

I love mine with smoked salmon and hashbrowns....
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Personal health thermometers. None at drug stores, not even in baby department. I have one but it needed a new battery which was also not available anywhere #44. Found a substitute, though.
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah sorry - hollandaise is on other stuff too - just I do not get a tie in with bernaise and brunch items.

But in any case - these package sauces are still being manufactured - along with spices - because these are food producing manufacturers they are considered essential.

And I could have looked up a recipe to make it - but if I wonder my breakfast made for me on Mothers DAy - I needed to find the packaged one - we had pancakes instead .

We still cannot find toilet paper or I should say it is difficult to find - I found one place - not giving the name out - that has a pretty good website with somewhat good inventory noted on their website so as I get low - I start looking it up and it tells me which stores have it and the approximate amount so I am not running around trying to find it.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 01:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It's been years since I've partaken in a good eggs benedict. Write that into the very long list of things I'm now craving.

I love mine with smoked salmon and hashbrowns....

that sounds good the smoked salmon with it - haven't done that before.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 01:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Personal health thermometers. None at drug stores, not even in baby department. I have one but it needed a new battery which was also not available anywhere #44. Found a substitute, though.

amazon has them
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 01:10 pm
Oh and a fire pit - a basic one - not one of those fancy stone ones.

I called the local hardware store after I tried to do curbside at the big box and they didn't have it in stock - the guy on the phone said they are flying out the door. They only had a couple left and they were the more expensive ones.

Had to order it and wait for it to come into inventory.

I guess everyone figures we are stuck in our yards might as well make smores.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:17 am
You can’t get glossy posters of Des Lynam for love or money and Jimmy Hill ones are very hard to get hold of.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 03:55 pm
@Linkat,
I just found cumin - I couldn't find it for weeks.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 10:05 pm
Paper towels and toilet tissue are still difficult to get. Seems to be a need to get to the place at the exact moment of stocking the shelves. Most other stuff is back...for now.

Big exception, still missing(mostly), vitamin C. That is, as a supplement in any one of at least five million forms! There are packages of well-sugared vitamin C throat drops. No thanks, I need more than 30 and don't want or need the sugar.

I've resorted to orange juice (which I don't much care for).

Oh well, at least Pepperidge Farm Perma-bread is on the shelves again. (buy another brand of bread, your body will thank you).

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Weird items that are out of stock
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:16:12