100 Trillion Years From Now

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 12:55 pm
Under the scenario called the"big chill" dark energy continues driving the expansion of the universe, resulting in temperatures dropping throughout the universe until it reaches absolute zero ( or a point at which the universe can no longer be exploited to perform work). Similarly, if the expansion of the universe continues, planets, stars, and galaxies will eventually be pulled so far apart that stars will lose access to the raw material needed for star formation, thus the lights will eventually go out for good. This is the point at which the universe would reach a maximum "state of entropy". Any stars that remain will continue to slowly burn away until the last star is extinguished. Instead of fiery cradles, galaxies will become coffins filled with remnants of dead stars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 694 • Replies: 5

Ragman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 12:59 pm
@Vette888,
Who the hell cares?! I won’t even be dust at the point.

Moreover, there’s something quite imminent danger that rivets our attention and is an immediate threat to our lives.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 04:02 pm
@Ragman,
Ill wait for the movie.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 01:55 am
@Vette888,
You are conflating the Big Rip scenario with the Big Chill.

Having the accelerating expansion of the universe pull everything apart is the Big Rip scenario. It would bring the universe to an end in only 22 billion years.

In the Big Chill scenario, when the lights go out in 100 trillion (10^14) years, galaxies will retain their cohesion.

Galaxies will only lose cohesion and eject most of their mass into the intergalactic void about 10^20 years from now. The remaining mass will spiral into the central black holes by about 10^30 years.

If protons have a half life, the universe will be free of all matter by around 10^37 to 10^43 years (depending on the rate of decay). However, proton decay is only a theory and may not actually happen.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 07:06 am
@oralloy,
Robert Frost wrote:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 05:19 pm
@maxdancona,
I think when the lights go out in 100 trillion years, our descendants will be able to survive by generating their own power. There is plenty of deuterium for fusion fuel in a single gas giant, and there are plenty of gas giants. And there will be lots of uranium and thorium to be mined from solid planets.

If our species ever develops the ability to generate energy by feeding matter into small black holes, we'll be able to extract energy from any sort of matter whatsoever and will not have to look for specific fusion/fission isotopes. A single stellar remnant will provide our descendants with enough matter to feed into small black holes for a very long time. And there will be lots of stellar remnants around to be mined for their matter.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 100 Trillion Years From Now
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:35:28