Working from Home-Experiences?

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:59 am
Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing okay? As some of you may know ive been off work sick due to having a rough time of things. After occupational health meetings and the threat of dismissal i still cant face going back. However today i was given a offer of working from home temporarily while the covid situation is ongoing. It could be ideal and help me rebuild my life and get much needed money or it could be a trap so my work decide im fit to return to work. Im confused?

Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:04 pm
@Lucyloop,
Might as well go for it.

It will give you income and if the company later terminates your employment, you can collect unemployment insurance benefits. Additionally, the time from now until whenever, offers memories to fade away from the brains of the coworkers.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:16 pm
@Lucyloop,
What is the opportunity?

Some work at home jobs are great. Others are rip-offs. You will have to give us more detail on this particular job offer before we can form an opinion.

Will you be paid hourly? On commission? Do you have to invest anything to start?

(that last one is a big red flag)
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:24 pm
@Lucyloop,
To answer the question... yes, I have worked from home both full-time and part-time. I am an engineer, I usually work full time (and get paid a salary for working from home). A few times I have taken contracts. One of these was a fix rate (half paid on successful completion) and the others I billed hourly.

The most important thing from working from home is making sure you get paid fairly. Of course, there is an adjustment to being productive (you have to do the work for which they are paying you).
Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Read Lucyloop's post maximillius. It appears the employment offer is with the company she is currently taking mental health time away from. The The offer is to continue in the same or similar position, but, from home.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh you are right. Sorry.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:36 pm
@maxdancona,
No sweat, dude.

(Unless you're into sweating)
0 Replies

Lucyloop

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 02:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks all.

Its all the same pay, job conditions etc just from home decided might as well do it nothing to lose.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 02:15 pm
@Lucyloop,
Lucyloop wrote:

Thanks all.

Its all the same pay, job conditions etc just from home decided might as well do it nothing to lose.

My company is forcing us to work from home now. They closed the office.

Are your co-workers being offered the same deal?
Lucyloop

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 02:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Some not all. Most are still working in the office.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 03:40 pm
I work from home 100% of the time. You need:
  • Good wifi
  • Whichever programs your company uses (i.e. if they use MS Word then you need to have the same version - in the US, buying an upgrade for use at work is probably - check with a tax lawyer - going to be deductible)
  • A comfortable chair
  • Good light
  • Discipline to get up when you need to and knock off for the day on time (it's incredibly easy to overwork yourself when you don't have to commute)
  • A good video camera for meetings (yes, people want to see you)
Lucyloop

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 12:18 pm
@jespah,
Called them today and agreed to it 🙂

Be able to get some money together and be able to work without the embarrassment of being the butt of peoples jokes and being laughed at for my misfortune.

Seeing it as a Fresh Start hopefully can be made permanent as I could never face going back there and looking people in the eyes after the embarrassment ive experienced.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Working from Home-Experiences?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:33:44