I WANT A NEW PLANET

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:50 am
This one sucks, it's all trashed and there's too many monkey's with car keys hanging around. Good drugs, though . . .

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:00 am
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:07 am
How 'bout Saturn?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:19 am
If I could live on the Moon, I'd want to live in the Sinus Iridum, the Bay of Rainbows--just 'cause it sounds cool. Frankly, I think Saturn is a ringer (heh heh). But Titan would be cool. If I lived on Mars, I'd want to live in the Noctis Labyrinthus, the Labyrinth of Night (once again, just 'cause it sounds cool), which is right next door to Pavonis Mons--Peacock Mountain. The problem with all of these is the heating bills.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:24 am
I would like to build a version of the SS Enterprise and go boldly in search of a good planet. I would like it to be large enough to carry a forest such as Bruce Dern and Huey Dewey and Louis managed, a city the size of St Louis, and a huge potty to keep from polluting outer space.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Kudos for the Silent Running reference.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 07:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This one sucks, it's all trashed and there's too many monkey's with car keys hanging around. Good drugs, though . . .

The experience of objective reality changes as subjectivity changes, so have you considered that if you like the drugs, that might cause you to perceive objective reality in a more negative light, i.e. because withdrawal negativity gets projected onto external reality?

Don't get me wrong; I won't argue that objective reality is utopian; it's closer to dystopian, actually; but it is what it is and our subjectivity is built to handle it naturally if we can tune it in to deal with the dystopianism through (fleeting) hope of a sustainable future.

The challenge is to get beyond deluding yourself about the present, accept how unrealistic it is that the future will be any better, yet maintain positive focus on the capacity for the human mind/imagination to foresee the impending doom and possible solutions.

Knowing that we have the capacity to foresee problems and imagine solutions should make you positive about the innate potential for intelligence in the universe, even as you study how prone we are to dystopian surrender to realism.

In short, you have to detach from hope in order to maintain hope. If you are too attached to it, the pain of reality will push you to let go and/or repress hope altogether, and that is what pushes us toward alcohol/drugs and other self-destructive technologies of detachment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 07:44 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 08:54 am
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:40 am
@edgarblythe,
No space songs but I just rec'd a news alert that the USGS has recently published the first orthographic geologic map(surveyed distances) of the moon (both sides).

USGS GEOLOGICAL MAP OF OURMOON
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 12:58 pm
@farmerman,
It's all rocks and gravel to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2020 01:37 pm
We doctors know

a hopeless case if --- listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go

E. E. Cummings