Have you ever been successful in convincing someone Into agreeing with you on politics?

Geirge

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:57 pm
We sometimes get into political disputes with others. I’m wondering if anyone has had success in convincing others.

roger

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:10 pm
@Geirge,
Once, and once only.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:20 pm
@Geirge,
Geirge wrote:

We sometimes get into political disputes with others. I’m wondering if anyone has had success in convincing others.

My experience is that people tend to be low quality and thus not that interested in the truth, so I gave up that project a long time ago.

Now I come around to learn, and to get better at arguing my points.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 01:03 pm
@Geirge,
Maybe not convince but perhaps gets someone thinking
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 03:54 pm
I don’t even know. Hell of a good question.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 08:30 pm
@snood,
I can't even convince two of my boys that trump is a lying ass hole.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 09:22 pm
@Geirge,
I have been convinced. I am much more proud of the times that when I am faced with a solid argument and I change my mind.

Any idiot can win an argument on the internet. To lose an argument takes real intelligence, and the ability to see past your own prejudices.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2020 09:50 pm
It's difficult on forums like this one, but the tone of voice and a persons body language is missing during discussions. In real life, I've found it helpful when someone I may not agree with can explain their beliefs in a respectful manner...I may not agree but at perhaps I understand and can incorporate. I have been told by others (not forum folks) that I have made them think or allow a different opinion, I know many folks have influenced or enhanced my understanding of complex issues. The whole thing is not to make others knuckle down but to allow understanding....that's how we can learn to compromise...not roadblock, think of alternatives..again not stop or prevent but find ways to cooperate.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:18 am
@Geirge,
Geirge wrote:

I don't think I've ever changed anyone's mind on Politics or Religion. But I also don't try very hard most of the time.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2020 06:59 pm
Yes.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 05:10 am
@coldjoint,
I assume you found some Amish kids and turned them into skinhead anti-smites.
hightor

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:11 am
If I want someone to agree with me in a political discussion I just assume their point of view. It works pretty well.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:49 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I assume you found some Amish kids and turned them into skinhead anti-smites

No, in fact it was someone on this forum. I answered the question honestly.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:02 am
@coldjoint,
Ollie dident need to be turned. He was already 100% consertive.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:04 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Ollie dident need to be turned. He was already 100% consertive.

It was not him.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:15 pm
@Geirge,
By taking the view opposite of my own in debates I changed to anti-death penalty and to pro-abortion rights. I'm against abortion personally but for a woman's right to choose with no interference from the state.

I changed from Goldwater to LBJ after the convention. I changed to Bill Clinton for his second term. Bill pretty much changed my mind.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I assume you found some Amish kids and turned them into skinhead anti-smites.

I'm pretty sure I know who pinky is talking about. I'm sure the poor soul sent you PM's, I got many of them and practically everybody got notes from the same member. Wasn't a very self confident person and very easily led.....unfortunately they fell hook line and sinker over a disturbing piece of propaganda depicting Islamic men in a conspiracy to enslave European young women into sex slaves..........
coldjoint

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:59 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
conspiracy to enslave European young women into sex slaves......

The conspiracy to turn non-Muslim women into sex slaves is in the Koran.
0 Replies

awesome14

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 07:30 am
Many times, when I reduce the opposing argument to personal attacks and name-calling, I take that to be the opponents way of admitting they have no argument.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 07:41 am
@Geirge,
I think it far more likely that you convince people who are reading in the background and were not personally committed to a position already. I've been swayed by reading opinions posted here. There have been a couple of times where I've convinced someone directly in a thread, but that is rare.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have you ever been successful in convincing someone Into agreeing with you on politics?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:34:22