Pre-teen/teen obsessions

Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:04 pm
Anyone who’s ever raised a teenager, especially girls, I’m sure can relate. There’s always the favourite actor/pop star who is the flavour of the month because he’s just sooooo hot.
My 12, almost 13-year-old daughter has here own obsession.......musical theatre. We’ve seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Six the musical, have tickets to see Frozen in a few months, and are on the wait list for the Australian production of Hamilton. Of which she knows every cast member of the US production, the words to every song, and absorbs everything that Lin-Manuel Miranda and Phillipa Soo are involved in. She had to watch Sound of Music because Ms Soo is such a big fan of Julie Andrews, and at this moment is watching The Phantom of the Opera on Youtube. I’m not sure whether I should be happy or concerned!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 913 • Replies: 21
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:09 pm
@Wilso,
My 15 year old daughter has the same obsession. So far we have seen "My Fair Lady", "Wicked", and "Beetlejuice" on Broadway, and "Guys and Dolls" and "Christmas Story" on local theater.

She wants to see "Book of Mormon" (which is hilarious, but not quite age appropriate). I am looking forward to seeing "West Side Story".

As far as obsessions go, at least this is one that I can enjoy with her. We have been to the Sound of Music sing-a-long here a couple of times.. which is fun. People dress up and bring rice for the wedding and squirt guns for the rain scene.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:55 pm
Seems perfectly normal to me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:27 pm
@Wilso,
Be happy and encouraging. There's always a chance it could turn into a career! A friend from university has a daughter who has appeared on Broadway and is now making a decent living as a voice actor while she waits to finish university.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:30 pm
@Wilso,
I am a bit jealous you got to see Hamilton. My daughter too can sing all of the songs word for word... but prices here are still prohibitive even if you can find tickets for sale.
Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Haven’t seen it yet. It’s due for release in March next year. It will be at Sydney’s Lyric Theatre. Can expect ticket prices between $150 and $200 depending on where you sit.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2020 07:55 am
@Wilso,
Good luck! I would gladly pay $200 a piece for tickets.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2020 07:59 am
I wasn't really thrilled about seeing Beetlejuice. My daughter really wanted to go (the tickets for this new popular show are higher than most shows on Broadway). So I bought tickets and we went with my brother and her cousins.

It turns out I loved it! The show had me rolling with laughter, it was incredibly entertaining. Beetlejuice is the villain, and as a supernatural being he can talk directly to the audience. It draws you in and makes you an insider to his dastardly plan. It is great fun.

I suppose there is a lesson in there somewhere.
Wilso

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2020 07:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Beetlejuice is on the list. We get most shows after the US and the UK.
I would recommend Six if you get the chance. Awesome show. So much energy you leave feeling like you’ve run a marathon
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 05:12 am
This is my life
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 07:09 am
Got tickets today to Come from Away. I was ordered to!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 12:46 pm
@Wilso,
Hope everyone loves it.

__

love that little video - that is some fast talking
Wilso

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 05:14 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Hope everyone loves it.

__

love that little video - that is some fast talking

She can go like that for 45 minutes. It’s rather amazing to behold
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 05:17 pm
@Wilso,
Enjoy every minute of being a father... it is a fun time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 06:57 pm
@Wilso,
So glad you have this wonder in your life.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 05:13 am
We saw Hamilton on Disney Plus. Great show. So good that after watching it with Thalia and her friends, I watched it again with headphones and subtitles, to pick up what my failing hearing missed the first time
engineer

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 05:44 am
@Wilso,
My daughter does around the house singing various Hamilton songs all day long. Yesterday was "The Reynolds Pamphlet".
Wilso

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 06:16 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My daughter does around the house singing various Hamilton songs all day long. Yesterday was "The Reynolds Pamphlet".

We live in the same world.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 04:53 am
On the list for Hamilton pre-sale - starts in a couple of weeks. Ticket prices range from $70 to $250 depending on performance and seat location
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 05:30 am
@Wilso,
When our daughter was young she had a complete fixation with the Spice Girls ... concerts, merchandise and so forth.

Our daughter is now a Dr of Sociology; so I would say don't be concerned
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pre-teen/teen obsessions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:35:44