After all this COVID nonsense, should be brutally murder the handshake ritual?

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 03:28 pm
Dr. Fauci Says No More Handshakes. Some Never Liked Them To Begin With

As an introvert, I'm fine with giving the practice of handshaking the death sentence, making this centuries-old practice obsolete and soon forgotten into the sweaty palms of time.

What sayeth you?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 04:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have always preferred a warm hug, and I love the Latin American tradition of a kiss on the cheek.

I can give up handshakes I guess.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 10:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
What sayeth you?

It will take away the questions that arise when being confronted with a hand.

Is it freshly washed?
Has been dried?
Is it sweaty/oily/yucky?
Is it too warm?
Is this a firm shake type or a light touch type?
Are they going to use both hands and clasp one over our shaking hands?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 10:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Don't overlook the tough guys that want to crush your fingers.

I've run across a number of Mexicans who are extremely strong. But when I shook hands with them they just held out a limp hand for me to grasp, then took it quickly away. I suppose they don't believe in the ritual.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 10:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a strong grip. I want the same in return.
cherrie

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 11:24 pm
@Sturgis,
I often find when I shake hands with a man he does it really gently and softly.
I don't want my fingers broken but I would prefer a firm handshake to a soft one.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 11:41 pm
@cherrie,
I try to give the same handshake to everyone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 11:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Don't overlook the tough guys that want to crush your fingers.

I've run across a number of Mexicans who are extremely strong. But when I shook hands with them they just held out a limp hand for me to grasp, then took it quickly away. I suppose they don't believe in the ritual.
You know, I have noticed the same thing. I don't think it is because they don't believe in the ritual.

By the way, if you want to see serious handshaking, watch a few Navajo. A modestly firm grip, but it can just go on forever, especially if they've been out of touch for awhile.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2020 11:53 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I have a strong grip. I want the same in return.

My Dad believed in a firm handshake....His guidance to me was to shake hands like you mean it...not to try to crush another person's hand...which would have been stupid because most men would be able to break my hand...

In 1999 my Dad had a stroke and was hospitalized in a VA hospital in Baltimore. The doctors were great, but on a few occasions when the Docs came in to check on Dad, they would extend both hands and ask him to squeeze as hard as he could. He really was just trying to comply but within seconds these young Docs would say Ow ow ow that's great.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 03:25 am
@tsarstepan,
I can’t see it stopping in Africa. When I was on a ship in Senegal we used to spend about half an hour every day shaking the hands of all the dock workers coming on board to work on the ship.

It was like a Royal visit. And I’m not exaggerating, literally about half an hour every day.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 05:05 am
I don't care for socially-expected or -enforced physical contact. Looking someone in the eye and greeting them is more than enough as far as I'm concerned.
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:08 am
I usually just look at the proffered hand, without grasping it, then look back at the one proffering his hand
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:18 am
Such fun when your handshake is a part of whether a hiring manager decides if you'll get a job. Such an idiotic, completely off-base measurement, particularly when you don't deal with the public.

I am thinking Wakanda salute for greeting men and Vulcan salute for greeting women. Unsure or trans? Hmm, maybe greet with jazz hands or a snappy military-style salute?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:22 am
@hightor,
I like bowing while keeping eye contact. Its respect while defining veryone's position as equal.Japanese bowing got so damned continuous and routine that it became like whackk-a-mole. In China it was more like being Mr Miagi . Bow halfway and look into eyes , Wax on Wax off.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 07:52 am

ah, the pain of being left hanging no more...
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:39 am

Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:42 am
@Real Music,
That's kind of almost creepy!
glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:04 pm
@Sturgis,
It's definitely creepy...ewwwwwww
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:11 pm
Expect more of this. Place your bets now.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:18 pm
We could kiss instead
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » After all this COVID nonsense, should be brutally murder the handshake ritual?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 2.73 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 05:43:40