In a turnaround, Putin describes Russia’s outbreak in bleak terms.

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 06:15 pm
In a turnaround, Putin describes Russia’s outbreak in bleak terms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/world/coronavirus-news-world-international-global.html?action=click&module=LiveUpdates&pgtype=Homepage#link-3ee44a21

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia offered his bleakest comments yet on his country’s handling of the pandemic, warning officials on Monday that the number of severely ill patients was rising and that medical workers faced shortages of protective equipment.

“We have a lot of problems, and we don’t have much to brag about, nor reason to, and we certainly can’t relax,” Mr. Putin told senior officials in a televised videoconference that he conducted from his residence outside Moscow. “We are not past the peak of the epidemic, not even in Moscow.”

Russia’s total number of confirmed cases reached 18,328, double the level of five days earlier, with roughly two-thirds of them in Moscow. The number of deaths stood at 148 nationwide.

Moscow’s health system in particular was under growing strain, and state television reported hours-long lines of ambulances waiting to admit suspected coronavirus patients into hospitals. The authorities tightened their lockdown on the city of 13 million people, directing residents to apply online for permission to leave their homes.

Mr. Putin’s dour tone Monday was part of a sharp shift in Russia’s official rhetoric on the crisis, with hope fading that the country might escape being hit hard by the pandemic. He directed officials to remedy shortages in medical workers’ protective equipment and to share ventilators and medicine across Russia’s far-flung regions to respond to geographic differences in demand.

“All scenarios of how the situation could develop must be taken into account, including the most difficult and extraordinary ones,” Mr. Putin said.

<nothing more at link>

glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think he's bragging that their portion of the Pandemic is a mere sliver of America's handling of the virus.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:37 pm
@glitterbag,
I think he's able to realize if he gets as deep into the denial as Trump has, he'll drown in it the way Donny Two Scoops is currently doing.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 11:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You may be right, and that scares me even more.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 08:34 am
@glitterbag,
All depends on if Putin can maintain control of Russia and we can wrest control of the US from Donnie Two Scoop's teeny tiny little hands.

I think both things are highly probable.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » In a turnaround, Putin describes Russia’s outbreak in bleak terms.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:16:28