Anybody here worked on Wall Street or at an investment bank?

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
I'm planning on securing an internship at an investment bank next summer and was looking for any sort of feedback/advice. I've heard many things about the world of investment banking both good and very bad. The basis of my knowledge is from reading things online(Vault) and a few books (Liar's Poker, Money Culture, Monkey Business). Are the hours really so bad that you often have little time for sleep? Could you manage any sort of a social life outside of banking? Did you enjoy the work you performed and the company you worked for?

My plan is to get in and get out. I hope to work two years as analyst at a bulge bracket bank. After which, I hope to obtain an MBA and then return for two or three years as an associate before cashing out and utilizing my connections to join a hedge fund or start my own business.

I'm just concered about making it through that short time period. A few of the things I've read make it appear as though the work is very mundane and tedious and that the hours are unbearable.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 2
No top replies

joshuakid

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
i'm not sure about the hours (yes they are probably very very long), and the job can be stressful too... that's what i heard

since you'll be playing around with people's money, you've got a lot of responsibilities behind your back!
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread. If anybody is into stocks I was just wondering if they recommend any good books for beginners or for those who want to invest into stocks? How about magazines? Thanks.
0 Replies