Fun outdoor adventures for kids using apps?

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 12:42 am
Hi All,

My community has lots of kids home, as everyone around the world does.

I’m wondering if anyone is wise in the ways of apps that make exercising in the outdoors fun for kids?

For instance, for myself, I’m using zombie run because it encourages me to up the intensity of my walks and amuses me. In between, it plays my music.

The kids where I live are used to lots of freedom and outdoor play with friends and their parents are trying hard to keep them entertained and healthy, but are running out of ideas.

I’d love to be able to offer some great adventures for all ages using smart phones

Sturgis

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:51 am
@Borat Sister,
Fun. Kids.

??????

That is absurd! Aren't the yutes s'posed to study, study, study all day from before breakfast time to after dinner?

If I wasn't so near to being old, I'd like as not remember what we did when school breaks and summer rolled around. There was plenty of 'exercise' - but we never called it that.

Perhaps they various can learn to climb a trellis and maneuver up to the roof to make repairs.... Or maybe not.

If I find out something I'll try to remember the kind of Septemb...
Oops, mind nap.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 09:22 am
@Borat Sister,
I highly recommend Minecraft. It is social, creative, and it takes place in a world where you have to build your own house if you want to be inside.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 02:54 pm
@Sturgis,
They can do all that...but that’s not what I’m asking for.

I’m looking for apps that make an adventure of walking around
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you, but I’m looking for an app that makes an adventure of running around OUTSIDE for kids used to being able to play with kids from other families, but who now can’t.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 03:18 pm
@Borat Sister,
You're welcome. I want to clarify, you want a game where the kids will be inside on a computer... where they will have a simulation of being outside. Is this right?

If that is correct (rather than you wanting your kids to actually be outside with an app... which right now is not advisable) then Minecraft is a very good option that many kids ages 7-15 really like.

1. Minecraft can be used to play with kids from other families. My daughter joins a network with her friends. They are each in their own houses, but their onscreen characters interact with each other and work together. It is a great way for kids to "chill" (as my daughter puts it) with their friends.

2. Any computer simulation of "outside" is going to be artificial. That being said Minecraft presents a very compelling world to play in. It puts you in a world with raw materials; trees for wood, stone, animals, sand that you can then use to build pretty much anything you like, from houses to castles to electronic devices (yes, there are resources you can use to make circuits if you are so inclined).

3. The best part about Minecraft is that it encourages play. It is cooperative and creative.

If you are looking for something different, please clarify. I have raised three computer nerd kids (aged 15 - 28) I know pretty much every computer app that has been targeted at kids. Most of the other apps are centered around shooting people.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 03:27 pm
@Borat Sister,
Are you looking for something like Pokemon Go?

This is a game where kids actually leave the house with their phone/device in hand. They get rewarded for physically visiting places in the neighborhood.

Is that what you are looking for?

(I would be a little worried about having them do this during the current pandemic.)
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Hadn’t thought of that one. That would be an example yes.

But more looking for stuff parents and kids can do together and a bit more counter culture

But that’s a great example.

I’m thinking parents here generally don’t like kids having lots of screen time though and Pokémon is pretty obsession creating

I’ll check re that one with parents
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 03:58 pm
@maxdancona,
The kids I’m thinking of don’t have smart phones themselves
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 04:31 pm
These are more indoors. Just arrived today. https://www.mlb.com/redsox/fans/home-fun?partnerId=ed-14798391-1203788093

Your local sports teams might have something similar. The workout was really thorough, BTW.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 04:45 pm
@Borat Sister,
I am keeping my daughter physically isolated during this crisis. We are not letting her spend any time with anyone outside of our immediate family. (Not to be judgmental, but this really is the right thing to do). She is keeping in contact with her friends over the internet... fortunately this is easy for her generation.

They have also been playing Dungeons and Dragons online. This is a social game that involves a lot of creativity and storytelling (as well as dragons). The kids all get on video chat and play for hours.

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
I’m not suggesting kids interact with people outside their family.

It’s perfectly safe to be outside here...there is no issue with social distancing. It’s semi rural
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:18 pm
@jespah,
Thank you but we don’t have red sox and I’m wanting outdoor adventures, not stuff to do indoors
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
Pokemon Go is the only thing I can think of that is targeted towards kids. (And, I don't know what they are doing in the age of quarantine).

There are Orienteering/ Geocaching apps, that have you find locations on GPS. But these aren't targeted toward children.

What about making a game with Photography.... maybe a scavenger hunt? You could make a contest to find certain plants or animals and post a picture. There are lots of social media tools that you could use to make your own game.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Hmmmm. The photo treasure hunt might work.

We have had bear and painted rock treasure hunts so far for the kids.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 06:00 pm
@Borat Sister,
I’ve been cudgelling my brains to think of how to adapt something like Where’s Wally
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 06:05 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

I’ve been cudgelling my brains to think of how to adapt something like Where’s Wally

That's already been done. Someone made a "Where's Wally? Corona Virus Edition. It turns out it isn't as challenging as before.

https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/where-is-waldo-coronavirus-edition-book-2-5e73255c5f2e9__700.jpg
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:27 am
@maxdancona,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fun outdoor adventures for kids using apps?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:55:30