My dad is angry because I want to quit playing piano

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:05 pm
I don’t know if someone could help me, but in order for me to start this discussion, I would need to tell you the story from the beginning. My dad is arguing with me, because I told him I wanted to quit playing the piano. Does someone know how can I get him to understand? Thanks

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:19 pm
@Sara123simic,
I am now in my fifties and I am taking piano lessons (and I am struggling to get better). I wish I had listened to my dad about piano lessons.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:41 am
@Sara123simic,
Cannot help you without knowing more details.

How old are you? How long have you played piano? Did you beg/ask him for the lessons? How much has he paid previously for these lessons? How good are you? Did he buy a piano for you and did you ask for it?

You would approach this depending on many of the questions above and there could be a compromise depending on the above - like for instance - if you just started lessons; maybe come to an agreement - I agree to take lessons for x number of months and could we decide then.

Sometimes kids beg (not saying this is your situation) to get involved in something and once the start they realize how much work it is and want to quit - or they are not as good as they thought they would be and like most things it takes time to be better - you might find that 6 months down the road as you improve - heck yeah I like this.

It could be that your dad has invested 10 years of money in piano lessons and you used to love it but no longer do - you have opportunity to progress further and be really good - well then it might be a different approach how you explain this.

The long and short - is you also need to understand his side - then it will be easier to discuss and come to a compromise.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 10:19 am
@Sara123simic,
Sara123simic wrote:

I don’t know if someone could help me, but in order for me to start this discussion, I would need to tell you the story from the beginning.

Are we missing less than a day between the beginning and below?
Quote:
My dad is arguing with me, because I told him I wanted to quit playing the piano.

There seems to be far too much information missing from this all-too-short story to have started from the beginning.

Fill in some more details and perhaps someone here could help.
At the very minimum:
1. How old were you when you started playing piano?
2. How old are you now when you want to quit?

And possibly throw in reasons why you want or feel the need to quit.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My dad is angry because I want to quit playing piano
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:00:41