Political extremists on both sides; fiddling while the nation burns.

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:06 pm
This is so frustrating.

We have extremists on the right denying that there is a real crisis posed by the corona virus. They are actively opposing efforts to enforce social distancing and to respond to medical needs.

We have extremists on the left denying the economic disaster caused by these measures. They are actively opposing efforts to help keep critical corporations solvent and save millions of jobs.

Here we are, in the middle of one of the worst crises in my lifetime. The political partisans huddle up into their normal corners and continue to throw mud at each other.

Is there any hope for us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 372 • Replies: 3
No top replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is so frustrating.

We have extremists on the right denying that there is a real crisis posed by the corona virus. They are actively opposing efforts to enforce social distancing and to respond to medical needs.

We have extremists on the left denying the economic disaster caused by these measures. They are actively opposing efforts to help keep critical corporations solvent and save millions of jobs.

Here we are, in the middle of one of the worst crises in my lifetime. The political partisans huddle up into their normal corners and continue to throw mud at each other.

Is there any hope for us?

There would be if everyone would figure out how to do the right thing and do it. Unfortunately, most people are a long way from that for a multitude of reasons, and the culture is such that even when people think they've figured out how to do right in life, they have been tricked into doing something that's actually harmful in various ways and/or against the greater good.

But it's good to maintain hope, if only for the sake of remembering that it's possible however improbable realism makes it seem.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:06 pm
There is no question that the airlines are going to need a bailout. The facts are.

1) They have been hit hard by this crisis.
2) They are only marginally profitable in good times (in spite of customer complaints).
3) They are a critical piece of the infrastructure upon which our economic depends.
4) They employ half a million America workers.

I haven't heard any good arguments against the relevant points. What we hear instead are variants of the following.

- Corporations are evil (irrelevant even if true)
- Airlines don't give me enough seat room (or any other similar reason airlines don't deserve a bailout... which is also irrelevant).
- Only a Trump supporter would say that (because like to see everything as one of two extremes).

It is basic failure to understand or accept reality. Without taking strong measures, the economy will be damaged and people will lose their jobs.
livinglava

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:42 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is no question that the airlines are going to need a bailout. The facts are.

1) They have been hit hard by this crisis.
2) They are only marginally profitable in good times (in spite of customer complaints).
3) They are a critical piece of the infrastructure upon which our economic depends.
4) They employ half a million America workers.

I haven't heard any good arguments against the relevant points. What we hear instead are variants of the following.

- Corporations are evil (irrelevant even if true)
- Airlines don't give me enough seat room (or any other similar reason airlines don't deserve a bailout... which is also irrelevant).
- Only a Trump supporter would say that (because like to see everything as one of two extremes).

Here's what I don't understand. When everything is normal, Democrats put forth a Green New Deal that says we need to cut air travel for climate sustainability.

But then when the airlines are actually going bankrupt, they want to bail them out and keep them running for the sake of the workers.

Well how can you have it both ways? Do you want to keep industries alive for the growth and jobs they generate; or do you want to stop them from harming the climate?

It is basic failure to understand or accept reality. Without taking strong measures, the economy will be damaged and people will lose their jobs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Political extremists on both sides; fiddling while the nation burns.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:54:29