Are new, old, unopened and/or unused VHS tapes from the '80s and '90s worth anything?

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 11:59 pm
Hi. I know a lot of vintage things from the '80s and '90s can be worth a lot. Vintage '80s and '90s toys for example can be worth anything from 100's to 1000's of USD.

I have an old VHS tape copyrighted 1990 called Heather Locklear Presents: Your Personal Workout, which had the plastic outer wrap removed from it but is still in its original cardboard casing. The tape was never used.

I have another VHS tape copyrighted 1986 called Rand McNally: New York Videotrip, which was never opened; it is still in its original plastic wrapping and cardboard casing.

Would these VHS tapes be worth anything?

I am curious. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,562 • Replies: 24
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:13 am
@JGoldman10,
The obvious thing to do would be look up ebay.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=vhs+tape+heather+locklear&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vhs+tape+heather+locklear+your+personal+workout&_sacat=0
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 06:10 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Hi. I was talking about finding out if they'd be worth anything from an appraiser. According to your eBay link that Locklear VHS tape is selling for about $9.95 in American money.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I was talking about finding out if they'd be worth anything from an appraiser. According to your eBay link that Locklear VHS tape is selling for about $9.95 in American money.

You would have to pay me to take that tape.

Healther Locklear I doubt is worth anything.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:16 am
@Linkat,
Okay. What about the other tape?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:39 am
@JGoldman10,
You wanted to find out what your vhs tapes were worth.

The market decides what their worth and ebay and amazon are the market, that's that.

An appraiser is a daft idea, you'd be charged more than your tapes are worth and that's if you could get an appraiser to waste his time doing it anyway.

Wakey wakey. Drunk
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:49 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Ebay and Amazon are not the only online retailers or auction sites dealing with VHS tapes.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 06:09 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Ebay and Amazon are not the only online retailers or auction sites dealing with VHS tapes.

Well check the others as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 06:52 am
I'm not interested in either tape, but there is probably a buyer for both of them somewhere in the world.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:33 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Why is getting appraisals for objects a daft idea? I've seen handfuls of TV shows in which people have done appraisals - Antiques Roadshow, shows about pawn shops, Comic Book Men, shows about people getting paid to rummage through stuff and/or move stuff in and out of storage bins, shows in which people get paid to look for and salvage vintage collectibles, etc. I never saw anyone paying anyone to do appraisals for anything in these shows. Appraisals were done on the spot.

Years ago I recall my dad and I taking some old paintings my family had to an appraiser to find out how much they were worth. I don't recall having to pay the appraiser to get that done. If I remember right the appraiser dealt with antique and vintage items- art-related stuff. The paintings we had were decades old but they weren't worth much.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 02:33 am
@JGoldman10,
I would pay good money to see you bring your Heather Locklear VHS tape to the Antiques Roadshow or Pawn Stars.

It would make great tv and I could do with a good laugh.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 09:57 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I don't care about the Locklear tape. What about the other one?
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:04 am
@JGoldman10,
Neither is worth the effort of a professional appraisal.

Both are worth a small amount of money on eBay.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:07 am
what you need if you want to make money - is to have something that is rare, in good shape - like how you said in unopened package and something people would be interested in - you have nothing that would be interesting to the general population.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:14 am
@Linkat,
In mint condition, right?
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:19 am
@Linkat,
I have an unopened original Guns n' Roses Appetite for Destruction LP.

By original, I mean one of the handful of printings from before the record company made them change the record cover.

It's not for sale for any price. If anyone wants to buy it, they'll need to wait til I die and contact my next of kin.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Appetitefordestruction.jpg

There were two of them for sale in the record store back in 1987. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the second one too.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

In mint condition, right?

Yes that adds considerable value -

I have an unopened Paul McCartney CD - one that was just given to employees and clients (my previous company had him as a representative) - am keeping it and have seen it on ebay - price is low; but I figure if I keep it for a good amount of time - who knows?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:36 am
@oralloy,
Yes - this is something that meets that criteria - you might just make your next of kin a good amount of pocket change.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 05:54 pm
@Linkat,
What "next of kin"?
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 06:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
Next of kin are the people who inherit your stuff when you die.