What I want from Donald Trump now.

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:56 am
We have a national crisis. Trump is the president (and what I or anyone else feels about this is meaningless). So, here is a list of things that I want Trump to do now. I would expect this from any president of either party.

1. Stop the attacks on the press and other Americans. His sole job right now is to manage this crisis. Part of that is to unify Americans of both parties to get through this.

2. Use his pulpit to talk to the American people. The presidents, and people will listen. He needs to give a message that this is serious (i.e. people need to follow the quarentine). He also needs to be realistic, that this is not going to magically go away in a short time.

3. Rise above politics to give a message of resolve and hope. As said, he can't give "false hope" (that this is going to magically resolve itself). He can give real hope, that we can come together and get through this as a nation.

4. Support the Scientific community and inform the American public. Trump can lend his voice. He can help cut through the rumors and misinformation by highlighting what is being said said by scientists and public health officials.

5. Rise above politics to work with Congress for a coherent, constructive policy to help Americans. We need clear guidelines for things like quarantine. We need government help to strengthen supply chains for important goods. We need the clear answers on issues like the future economy and unemployment assistance.

I will give Trump some credit. In the past week he has been listening to the scientific community, and he has been sending the message that this is a serious crisis. I have no problem giving Trump credit when he does something good.

These are the objective measures that I would expect from any president, and th things by which I will be judging Trump's performance in the days to come.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 225 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 10:11 am
@maxdancona,
This is frustrating. Trump is doing several things wrong, and a couple of things right (but only halfway).

1. (Good) Trump invoked the Defense Production Act. This will allow the executive branch to force companies to produce needed supplies, such as testing kits, masks and ventilators.

2. (Bad) Trump isn't immediately using Defense Production Act to force the production of testing kits, masks and ventilators. This seems to be a half-hearted, political hedge. He has the legal authority to help the American people. He should be using it without hesitation.

3. (Good, but half-hearted) Trump is kind of listening to the doctors. He is giving Fauci a platform and accepting that this is a serious problem.

4. (Bad) Trump is undercutting his own message. He is now repeating the political line about the "cure being worse than the problem"... again implying that the problem isn't as bad as the medical community is saying.

If Trump is going to back off on social isolation... let him come out and say it. Let him, as the President acting as leader, say what the policy will be. Explain why this is a good idea and accept responsibility for the consequences. This would be a bad thing (in my view). But not as bad as what is happening.

What Trump is doing is the opposite of leadership. He is playing both sides, giving unclear messages and and dithering between taking this seriously and listening to his political base.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:37 pm
@maxdancona,

maxdancona wrote:

3. (Good, but half-hearted) Trump is kind of listening to the doctors. He is giving Fauci a platform and accepting that this is a serious problem.

Oh, good. I guess that means there has been a Fauci sighting in the past several days.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:12 pm
@roger,
I fear Trump is about to pivot hard right. And I think this will have disastrous effects.

When Trump stops listening to anyone who understands what "exponential growth" means, we are screwed.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 02:15 pm
Trump will have a big test of leadership with the timeline for lifting the economic shutdown. Trump is wanting the crisis to end by Easter, a timeline that is nothing but wishful thinking.

(Good) If Trump is willing to give up his Easter timeline if the statistics don't support it.

(Great) If Trump can articulate a consistent science-based policy on when to lift the anti-corona measures. By consistent I mean that he is whole-hearted in his policy and that it doesn't change from speech to speech.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What I want from Donald Trump now.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:55:48