Online Security Keys: Heard of them? Use them? Fad or Futureproofing online security?

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 10:39 am
Quote:
Security key

A security key is an authentication device that strengthens account security when used in addition to a password when signing in. Using a security key is better than receiving codes via phone call or text message because these codes can be phished or intercepted. When you use a security key to sign in, the key will check to make sure you are on the official login.gov website.

A security key is usually a piece of physical hardware, like a USB, that you can carry on your keychain.

Source
THE BEST HARDWARE SECURITY KEYS FOR TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION
This article is over a year old. Didn't know these were a thing until the below CNET video seen pop up this week.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 1
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 12:19 am
I have a physical-hardware code generator for two-factor authentication of my World of Warcraft account.

It's not exactly a security key. I don't plug it into the computer. But I do have to push a button on it to generate a special code that lasts only 30 seconds that I then have to enter as well as my password.

Since I mine Ethereum with my graphics card when I'm not playing World of Warcraft, I've also thought of getting a hardware wallet. I haven't done so yet. But it is likely that I will get one at some point.
0 Replies