What we mean by "Mathematics is a Language" (and why you still need to learn mathematics).

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 07:20 am
Particularly in the field of education, people say "mathematics is a language". There is a lot of thruth to this, and I will explain what we mean.

I am writing this because the anti-science folks here twisting this to say "language is mathematics". What they want to say is I don't need no education to understand stuff. It doesn't work that way.

If you want to understand Science in any depth, you are going to have to study mathematics. There are no shortcuts.

I spent a year or so working on a team with an expert on Algebra education. Our goal was to measure the trouble many students have with high school Algebra (particularly with abstraction) and design a curriculum that would have better results.

We used the phrase "mathmatics is a language" in two related ways.

1. We want kids to understand that the terms of a function could be seen as an "object", and that functions could be seen as an object. Much like in a normal language you can construct and understand mathematical expressions as "nouns"(that are an object) and "verbs"(that are a verbs) and "predicates" etc. This is particularly useful for understanding how young students think about math and correcting problems in their understanding.

2. We say "mathematics is a language" because we want kids to learn how to represent the real world in mathematics. This means word problems (which unfortunately seems to strike fear in the hearts of many students). In our program we would try to take real world issues, and show that mathematics is useful in daily life problems.

For example we had kids analyze and graph a set of confusing cell phone plans and turn this into a function estimating the cost per minute of each plan (including start up cost and monthly fees). Kids understand this and seem to enjoy turning this into mathematics.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 244 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 07:30 am
@maxdancona,
This does not mean that you don't need math. Quite the opposite. You can not do meaningful science without mathematics.

Mathematics comes with a couple of huge benefits over human languages.

1. Mathematics is precise. When I say F=ma, there is no question what this means.

2. Mathematics is objectively testable. When I run an experiment, I can plug in the experimental results and compare them to the calculations I made with my theory. If the numbers don't match, then my theory is wrong. End of story, I don't have an argument.

On the anti-Einstein threads we are getting pages and pages of nonsense written all in English by people who don't know mathematics. This is a problem.

Since they don't know mathematics, all they have is their own imprecise words. I have tried to walk them through the mathematical facts (which are precise and objectively testable). All they have is their own words.

Newton's laws are mathematical. They are precise. They are testable. They work for making real life predictions... they can accurately model how things work in the real world.

Einstein's laws are mathematical. They are precise. They are testable. They work for making real world predictions... they can accurately model how things work in the real world.

This is true for all of the hard sciences. They purpose of science is to be able to build a model... something that can make accurate measurements about how the Universe works. You simply can not do this without mathematics.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 04:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There's a lot of thruth...

Thruth is always difficult to be understood.

Quote:
What they want to way is I don't need no education to understand stuff.

Quote:
It doesn't work that way

Sure it does!
By saying "I don't need no education to understand stuff." they've used a double negative, at which point, it becomes a positive. So you see, they are pleading for education.

As to mathematics being a language, I agree and have indicated such for a long while. My solution during the learning, was to treat it as a letters, symbols and numbers game. For me it worked.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What we mean by "Mathematics is a Language" (and why you still need to learn mathematics).
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:22:55