The connection between Anti-Science and Anti-Education views.

livinglava

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If I do this for you.... will you just admit that you are wrong?

I will admit if I believe you are right.

Quote:
1) For F = GMm/r² I will plug in the numbers for the Gravitation constant, the mass of the Earth and radius of the Earth to get the force of gravity for each object (which I have already given).

Please write out all the numbers you use(d) so I can see your exact steps. My understanding is that the force will be different for each object, but you claim otherwise; so I want to see every step so I can understand how you are reaching your answer/conclusion.

Also, why are you still using the equation that multiplies the two masses instead of adding them? Why do you choose that one instead of the one that adds the masses?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Under Newton's Laws

1) F = ma

2) F = G(Mm)/(r^2)

3) The meaning of the word "force" is the same in both of these equations. There is nothing to reconcile and no contradiction.You can plug in the number for yourself/

So... A 5kg mass will experience a gravitational force of 49N and will accelerate at 9.8 m/s/s.
A 10kg mass will experience a gravitational force of 98N and will accelerate at 9.8 m/s/s.

The two masses have the same acceleration (and hit the ground at the same time). The math all works out correctly (you can check it if you want) and there is no contradiction. If you don't accept this, than plug in the numbers into the equations above and show me where they don't work.

Under your logic

1) You accept that a 10kg object has double the force as a 5 kg object. But then you don't. But then you claim there is more than one definition of the word "force" (which isn't true above as I show).

2) You calculate a different acceleration for each object. This violates Galileo's claim (which you accepted) that two objects of different masses will fall at the same rate.

There are contradictions in your thinking. Newton's laws work without contradiction.

This also shows why math (which makes it so clear) is better than a bunch muddled words. As soon as you do the math, you can see whether you have it right or not.

1. Using Newton's law of gravitation to calculate the gravitation force of each object

G = 6.67408 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
r = 6,378,100 m
M = 5.972 × 10^24 kg (Mass of earth)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03nSWn6kbVe7CX6g4I6yiVzENdyGQ%3A1586733465132&ei=maGTXojUB-TC1QGB3oOoCQ&q=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+5+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&oq=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+5+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA0oJCBcSBTEyLTY5SggIGBIEMTItN1CmaFjVgAFgtYQBaANwAHgAgAFRiAHbA5IBATeYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjIhKvkguToAhVkYTUKHQHvAJUQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00mMGyG3PZR8ndOmXu-LA_8HZ_b5Q%3A1586733482609&ei=qqGTXvXqJPaLytMP29yyiAg&q=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+10+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&oq=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+10+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA0oJCBcSBTEyLTcxSggIGBIEMTItNVD5sQNY57MDYLPoA2gAcAB4AIABV4gB3QKSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj159XsguToAhX2hXIEHVuuDIEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

So for Newton's laws of Gravitation.

The Gravitational force for a 5kg object is 49N. The gravitation force for the 10kg object is 98N

And for Newton's second law.

For the 5kg object the Gravitational force is 49N (from above), the acceleration is 9.8 m/s. For the 10kg object the Force is 98N.

49N = (9.8m/s/s) * 5kg (Yes!)
98N = (9.8m/s/s) * 10kg (Yes!)

The forces are different (one is double the other). The accelerations are the same. Newton wins!

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:31 pm
The reason I did this excersize is to make a few points about mathematics and Physics.

1) The mathematics works. And if doesn't work, then you know your understanding is wrong. When there are two educated Physicists who have a disagreement, this is how we resolve it.

2) Newton's laws do a very good job at predicting what will happen in Nature. During this discussion I showed the math that describes what you really observe.

- Newton's laws say that an object with twice the mass will experience double the gravitation force. You can lift up a heavy object and a light object and experience this.

- Newton's laws say that an object with twice the mass will experience the same acceleration. This was Galileo's famous experiment, but it is easy enough to confirm.
livinglava

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

1. Using Newton's law of gravitation to calculate the gravitation force of each object

G = 6.67408 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
r = 6,378,100 m
M = 5.972 × 10^24 kg (Mass of earth)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03nSWn6kbVe7CX6g4I6yiVzENdyGQ%3A1586733465132&ei=maGTXojUB-TC1QGB3oOoCQ&q=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+5+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&oq=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+5+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA0oJCBcSBTEyLTY5SggIGBIEMTItN1CmaFjVgAFgtYQBaANwAHgAgAFRiAHbA5IBATeYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjIhKvkguToAhVkYTUKHQHvAJUQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00mMGyG3PZR8ndOmXu-LA_8HZ_b5Q%3A1586733482609&ei=qqGTXvXqJPaLytMP29yyiAg&q=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+10+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&oq=6.67408e-11+*+5.972e24+*+10+%2F+%286%2C378%2C100%5E2%29&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA0oJCBcSBTEyLTcxSggIGBIEMTItNVD5sQNY57MDYLPoA2gAcAB4AIABV4gB3QKSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj159XsguToAhX2hXIEHVuuDIEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

So for Newton's laws of Gravitation.

The Gravitational force for a 5kg object is 49N. The gravitation force for the 10kg object is 98N

And for Newton's second law.

For the 5kg object the Gravitational force is 49N (from above), the acceleration is 9.8 m/s. For the 10kg object the Force is 98N.

49N = (9.8m/s/s) * 5kg (Yes!)
98N = (9.8m/s/s) * 10kg (Yes!)

The forces are different (one is double the other). The accelerations are the same. Newton wins!

Where is the work you were supposed to show?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:56 am
@maxdancona,
I have also figured out how to show mathematically that a 10kg cannonball falls faster than a similar 5kg ball from the same height.

It involves applying critical thinking regarding the equations.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 12:58 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

I have also figured out how to show mathematically that a 10kg cannonball falls faster than a similar 5kg ball from the same height.

If you are getting a different result that what happens in reality, then your mathematics are wrong (by definition). We have shown experimentally that a 10kg cannonball and a 5kg cannonball fall at the same rate. We have shown this repeatedly on Earth (including in just about every Physics classroom). We have shown this on the Moon.

The mathematics of Isaac Newton get the correct answer (to a degree where any difference is not measurable at this scale).

That is the point. Your "critical thinking" is bogus if it doesn't match reality.
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

livinglava wrote:

That isn't reality.

We have shown experimentally that a 10kg cannonball and a 5kg cannonball fall at the same rate. We have shown this repeatedly on Earth (including in just about every Physics classroom). We have shown this on the Moon.

According to the equations, they fall at different rates.

Are you saying that the equations are wrong at distances short enough that the difference isn't empirically observable?

Quote:
If your mathematics is getting a different result that what happens in reality, then your mathematics are wrong (by definition). The mathematics of Isaac Newton get the correct answer (to a degree where any difference is not measurable at this scale).

That is the point.

I'm using Newton's equation, but there's an aspect of it we haven't thought about critically enough to realize that more massive objects fall at faster rates.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:06 pm
@livinglava,
Clearly, if you are getting the wrong answer, then you are doing the math wrong.

I very patiently showed you, step by step, how to calculate the answer using Newtons Law's the correct way.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The 5Kg weight experiences a gravitational force of 49N and accelerates at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s

The 10Kg weight experiences a gravitational force of 98N and accelerates at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s

Let me be an example of Critical thinking (since I am defending science here).

These are the results of my calculations using Newton's laws. You can prove me wrong in one of two ways:

1. By showing that the calculations in either case don't match Newton's second law (F = ma).

2. By showing that the calculations in either case don't match very closely (allowing for precision in the Gravitational Constant) Newtons law of Universal Gravitation (F = GMm/(r^2))

Do either of these things, and I will admit that I am wrong because I will be wrong.
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:12 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Clearly, if you are getting the wrong answer, then you are doing the math wrong.

I very patiently showed you, step by step, how to calculate the answer using Newtons Law's the correct way.

1) You never showed your work, but it doesn't really matter because on such small scales the rounding errors would make the math too blurry to account for the small discrepancy in falling rate between a 5kg and 10kg object.

2) You don't understand which aspect of the equation accounts for the difference in falling rate, or else you would have acknowledged it earlier.

You always just assert you can do math and you know the right answer, but it's just a smoke screen to avoid discussing real issues, like this one.

Do you want to know why the 10kg object falls faster than the 5kg one? Hint: it is implicit in part of Newton's equation. Do you know which part?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:17 pm
@livinglava,
One of the keys to critical thinking is being able to admit when the facts don't support your position, and to change your mind when this happens. This is a key to science and something you learn when you study Physics in a University.

1. I showed my work here https://able2know.org/topic/546372-5#post-6988323. I believe this is pretty clear. I think the problem is that you are being stubborn.

2. It is acceleration that "accounts for the difference in falling rate". The acceleration is equal, so the two cannonballs will fall at the same rate and land at the same time.

I don't know why you think the 10kg object falls faster than the 5Kg. You admitted pages ago that the fall at the same rate. But please proceed. I am still waiting patiently for you to show any amount of critical thinking (i.e. the ability to see the flaws in your own understanding)
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:27 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

One of the keys to critical thinking is being able to admit when the facts don't support your position, and to change your mind when this happens. This is a key to science and something you learn when you study Physics in a University.

Not in this case. In this case, critical thinking involved analyzing the equation as it applies to falling objects of differing mass and understanding how/why the rate of falling is different.

The critical question you have to ask is: why/how would the rate at which objects of different mass fall be different according to this equation?

If the answer is that it wouldn't, then explain which part of the equation keeps the falling rates the same for both objects as they fall.

Quote:
1. I showed my work here https://able2know.org/topic/546372-5#post-6988323. I believe this is pretty clear. I think the problem is that you are being stubborn.

You just posted some links that were unintelligible. Why didn't you type out the steps of the calculations?

Quote:
2. It is acceleration that "accounts for the difference in falling rate". The acceleration is equal, so the two cannonballs will fall at the same rate and land at the same time.

The acceleration is not always equal. It is clear from the equations if you apply them correctly. As of yet, we haven't applied them correctly.

Quote:
I don't know why you think the 10kg object falls faster than the 5Kg. You admitted pages ago that the fall at the same rate. But please proceed. I am still waiting patiently for you to show any amount of critical thinking (i.e. the ability to see the flaws in your own understanding)

I was wrong before because I wasn't considering the falling beyond the single snapshot of a static altitude.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
The 5Kg weight experiences a gravitational force of 49N and accelerates at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s

The 10Kg weight experiences a gravitational force of 98N and accelerates at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s

Let me be an example of Critical thinking (since I am defending science here).

These are the results of my calculations using Newton's laws. You can prove me wrong in one of two ways:

1. By showing that the calculations in either case don't match Newton's second law (F = ma).

2. By showing that the calculations in either case don't match very closely (allowing for precision in the Gravitational Constant) Newtons law of Universal Gravitation (F = GMm/(r^2))

Do either of these things, and I will admit that I am wrong because I will be wrong.

You are being ridiculous.

This is where I leave this discussion... unless you have something interesting to say.
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are being ridiculous.

This is where I leave this discussion... unless you have something interesting to say.

No, I'm not. Like I said in the previous post, I was wrong before because I was only considering the equation as a snapshot at a static altitude.

The altitude of an object changes as it falls, so the rate of acceleration also changes.

Do you understand what I'm saying now and why we were wrong before?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:21 pm
@livinglava,
Show me the results of your calculations then. The result of my calculations are:

The 5Kg object experiences a force of gravity of 49N and falls with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s.

The 10Kg object experiences a force of gravity of 98N and falls with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s.

What are the results of your calculations?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:24 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Do you want to know why the 10kg object falls faster than the 5kg one? Hint: it is implicit in part of Newton's equation. Do you know which part?

Don't ask stupid questions? Just make your point.

Do you realize that in reality the 10kg falls no faster than the 5kg object (unless you are going to play tricks with air friction or something).

This is easy to test with experiment. You are literally fighting with reality.

livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Show me the results of your calculations then. The result of my calculations are:

The 5Kg object experiences a force of gravity of 49N and falls with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s.

The 10Kg object experiences a force of gravity of 98N and falls with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s.

What are the results of your calculations?

1) You never showed the details of your calculations, only the 'results.'

2) The denominator shrinks as altitude decreases, so the acceleration rate increases as an object falls.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:28 pm
@livinglava,
Oh, so you are pointing out that gravity at a distance of 6,371,000 meters from the center of the Earth is not exactly the same as gravity at 6,371,020 meters. You are being ridiculous.

I know how do to the math for this too... it becomes an integral. Newton invented calculus for exactly this purpose.

But for dropping a ball off of a tower... this difference is insignificant. You are being ridiculous.

You are suggesting a mathematics that is a little more complicated. If you knew how to do math you would know that the mass of the object still doesn't matter.
livinglava

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Don't ask stupid questions? Just make your point.

My point is that you can figure out but you won't because you resist critical thinking.

Quote:
Do you realize that in reality the 10kg falls no faster than the 5kg object (unless you are going to play tricks with air friction or something).

This is easy to test with experiment. You are literally fighting with reality.

Experimental tests don't always agree with equations. In this case, the equation predicts that the rates of falling for the two objects will be slightly different, but in practice the difference might not be enough to detect with the human ear.

Likewise, some facts like air friction, as you mention, could influence the situation more than the tiny difference in falling rates due to the difference in masses.

I was right about the mass making a difference all along, but you had me tricked by analyzing the equation incorrectly and denying that critical thinking makes a difference.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:30 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
In this case, the equation predicts that the rates of falling for the two objects will be slightly different, but in practice the difference might not be enough to detect with the human ear.

Which equation is this?

Newton's laws predict that even accounting for minute differences in altitude, the two will still hit at the exact same time.

If you are going to make these ridiculous claims. Support them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:03:39