Can I experience "rock bottom" without actually hitting it?

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:54 am
I'm thinking of trying an experiment next week. I have the whole week off, and I was wondering if I should just get drunk everyday, isolate myself from everyone, wander the streets aimlessly, force myself to think about all the shittiest parts of my life, get in touch with all of the self-loathing inside me, and just wallow in misery. In other words, I'd like to experience "rock bottom", without actually having to lose everything.

I am thinking that it might get me out of my little world and into a state where something in my head might jar itself loose and give me some kind of idea what I should do with the rest of my life (or at least the next few years).

Is it possible to get to "rock bottom" like that? Do you think it might help me get some perspective?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,927 • Replies: 41
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:56 am
I can sympathize with your desire to that. When I'm in a funk, I know I need to wallow around in it for a while until it becomes uncomfortable and I have incentive to get out of it.

And don't call me "rock bottom".
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:16 am
Wallowing is something you are doing to yourself. Yeah I know you are down and unhappy and unfulfilled and wanting to kick the **** out of puppies but you aint gonna get out of this rut by wallowing in your misery and looking to immerse yourself some more. Now that's a real crappy thing for me to say - I know - I'm not in the place you are and how the hell do I know how you feel? But to hell with that, I'm going to spout out of me like I know what I'm talking about. But you have to DO SOMETHING. You are not going to get a job you love, meet a beautiful, smart, adoring girl who worships the ground you walk on, or improve your life in any way if you don't mentally shake yourself and lift this fog of doom and gloom you are currently under.

If you're not happy with where you live - move.
If you're not happy with your job - leave.
If you're not happy with your friends - change them.
If you're not happy with your lovelife - change the way you meet girls, take a pottery class, jazz class, flower arranging, cooking, stop picking the wrong girls, or try dating a wide variety of girls if you have been picking one-type that is not working for you.

I have spoken - now go forth and do as I say (not as I do).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:20 am
Heeven the Wise
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
I doubt it. Especially the getting drunk every day part. You can't see the forest through the trees when you are drunk. It skews the perspective too much and chances are you'll never get "in touch" with anything or come to any resolutions by weeks end except wonder "why the hell did I do that?" Sad

I feel so bad for you right now, kicky and wish I knew of a way to make things easier for you. Anthing and everything in your future will be based on decisions that only you can make. By postponing decisions that are vital to you moving ahead is a decision in and of itself. What is it that is holding you back? Sad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Be homeless for a week.
Find all the shelters that will give you food, and a place to sleep
Shitshower and shave with homeless people.
eat what they eat.
Sleep in shelters.
Take no money.
0 Replies

kickycan

You know what? This was a stupid idea for a thread. Forget I mentioned it.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:25 am
Heeven!

I so wanted to say JUST THAT! I was not nearly as courageous as you! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
OK, I'll forget it.
But before I forget -

back when I was in a bad spot I took long walks, long like five to seven miles, three or more days a week. One walk, you can still not think. Twenty three walks and you have to talk to yourself.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:38 am
kickycan wrote:

Did I make you feel bad? Not my intention. Wouldn't want to hurt you my man! Just wanted to give you a kick in the arse. Sometimes we all need that.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:39 am
Nah, DO IT. Go get hammered every day, it'll be fun. Except instead of wallowing in your own misery, drink to the point where you're "that guy." Show up at bars solo and hit on the fat disgusting women that are layups. And when telling your friends, don't refer to them as fat chicks, rather than "slump breakers."

Prime yourself up. Read Motley Crue's "Dirt." It'll motivate you to get smashed and party and offend people like you never have.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:40 am
Whoa there, Mr. New York City Cowboy....hold on just a second here. Friends don't let friends off that easy just when the going gets tough you know. Aside from your parents and assorted other family members and friends who the hell do you think cares more about you than anyone else in the world? We do, damn it. Your friends here on A2K.

Let's play a role reversal for a second. Let's just assume for a minute that kickycan is a new poster to A2K and over the last month or so has posted many, many times about his misery and unhappiness about...everything. Think outside your box for a minute and what the heck would YOU say to that poster?

Have you forgotten who you are? You are kickyCAN. kickyCAN can do anything he wants to do. We're just here with sometimes tough love trying to get kicky off his CAN and and try to help him see what he CAN do. If we need to kick your ass to do it, so be it. We just love you, plain and simple.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
Heeven wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Did I make you feel bad? Not my intention. Wouldn't want to hurt you my man! Just wanted to give you a kick in the arse. Sometimes we all need that.

Not at all. I just went back and read my first post again and realized how ridiculous I sound.

I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Of course I am not going to get drunk and wallow in misery all week. I'm going to get drunk and be "that guy", like Slappy said, all week!

Yeah, maybe I'll do some thinking too, but I just want to live like a rockstar for a few days. So f*ck it, that's what I'm a gonna do.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
just don't turn into slappy2 okay?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
Lady J wrote:
Whoa there, Mr. New York City Cowboy....hold on just a second here. Friends don't let friends off that easy just when the going gets tough you know. Aside from your parents and assorted other family members and friends who the hell do you think cares more about you than anyone else in the world? We do, damn it. Your friends here on A2K.

Let's play a role reversal for a second. Let's just assume for a minute that kickycan is a new poster to A2K and over the last month or so has posted many, many times about his misery and unhappiness about...everything. Think outside your box for a minute and what the heck would YOU say to that poster?

Have you forgotten who you are? You are kickyCAN. kickyCAN can do anything he wants to do. We're just here with sometimes tough love trying to get kicky off his CAN and and try to help him see what he CAN do. If we need to kick your ass to do it, so be it. We just love you, plain and simple.

That is a good idea there. I've thought about what I would say to me if I were listening to me whine instead of being the whiner, and I have realized one thing. I give horrible advice.

Thanks for the love though, you sexy thing...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:53 am
Heeven, if I do, I'll be sure to show up at your door naked and ready to play twister with you and your emu friends at 4:00 AM.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:55 am
kickycan wrote:
Lady J wrote:

That is a good idea there. I've thought about what I would say to me if I were listening to me whine instead of being the whiner, and I have realized one thing. I give horrible advice.

Thanks for the love though, you sexy thing...

Anytime, snugglebunny. Smile
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:57 am
Well good luck with that. I'm off to Hawaii for two weeks but I'll call my good friend Brutus and have him apartment-sit, awaiting you with baited breath. Now THAT would be something different for you, drag you kicking and screaming out of your funk.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:03 pm
Except while Kicky is getting hammered, I'm on weekend #2 out of 6 not drinking.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
Heeven, if I do, I'll be sure to show up at your door naked and ready to play twister with you and your emu friends at 4:00 AM.

Naked twister and you didn't invite me. Sad
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can I experience "rock bottom" without actually hitting it?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:47:54