Singapore citizen / warded

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 11:55 pm
MOH said on Tuesday that of the 32 confirmed cases still in hospital, most are stable, while seven are in critical condition in the intensive care unit, one more than on Monday.

Case 109 is a 70 year-old male Singapore citizen who has no recent travel history to affected countries and regions.

He is currently warded in an isolation room at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).

1. Should it be 'Singaporean citizen ’ instead?

2. Is ‘warded’ correctly used?

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 335 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 12:00 am
Singapore citizen is acceptable, as would be Singaporean citizen. I am not at all familiar with such a use of ward as a verb--it is usually employed to mean that something or someone is fended off. Perhaps this is a British usage, and someone will come along who can give you an authoritative answer.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 04:43 am

"ward
/wɔːd/

verb
past tense: warded; past participle: warded
admit (a patient) to a hospital ward."
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 05:42 am
@tanguatlay,
Terms like Singaporean, Liverpudlian and Sotonian are used over here but not really in formal situations. Your example would be either a 70 year-old male Singapore citizen or 70 year-old male Singaporean.

I prefer the first example, the one in the text, not only does it sound better, but other people can have difficulties with words like Singaporean, Liverpudlian or Sotonian. Singapore citizen is clear, and likely to be understood by everyone.

I would only call myself a Sotonian when talking to other people from the UK, with everyone else I say I'm from Southampton.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:18 am
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad wrote:

"ward
/wɔːd/
verb

Many thanks, Miss Toad.
May I know which dictionary you referred to?
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 02:41 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Miss L Toad wrote:

"ward
/wɔːd/
verb

Many thanks, Miss Toad.
May I know which dictionary you referred to?

Miss Toad, could you please let me and hence other members, especially non-native speakers, as well as native speakers know your source which defines "ward" as "hospitalise"?

I and other members, I am sure, will appreciate it very much if you could reveal which dictionary you had referred to.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:51 pm
Miss Toad,
I have found out the name of the dictionary.

It is the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary. It is a thick dictionary. It is not cheap, to me.

IMHO, we should share our knowledge. That is one of the purposes of this forum.
Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:36 pm
@tanguatlay,
Miss Tan, long ma jing san, keep those excellent questions coming.

I couldn't find that definition again when I looked; well researched.

Newspaper articles written by journalists whose second language is English may not be the best way to continue your English language education.

Perhaps classic English novels would be a better source.

Dare I suggest that you post your writing for us to analyse and discuss?

In any case, all the best.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 04:02 am
The dictionary is the New Oxford Dictionary of English. It is thicker than the one I mentioned earlier. I have both dictionaries.

I don't think the first dictionary is easily available. I cannot find it in the book shop I bought it at any more. So, for those who are able to buy it, I am happy for them. That dictionary contains a lot of words, including words which are not standardised. For example' "ward", meaning "hospitalise" is not a recognised word in standard English, yet it can be found there but not in any other dictionaries.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Singapore citizen / warded
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.25 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 09:21:03