Ever get work email that starts.."As you know.." but you do not know?

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 09:54 am
So today I get an email from a Senior VP (sent to a large audience not just me) that starts "As you know, we are moving to a new ...". I am like F*** as this is stating that we are using this new database for work that we are almost done with.

I look through and do a search in my email - nope nothing with this database topic...nope no other related correspondence from this senior VP. So no I do not know - and I just had my team do all this work for nothing --- now we will need to go back and recreate this work not just in a new database but a whole new process.

I reach out to my direct manager and ask if the client is aware of this? In one way to find out if she even knows about it.

This is typical of where I work - they implement something new - don't talk with anyone else (including the clients) and we have to jump through hoops to meet new processes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 294 • Replies: 7
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 07:49 pm
Look at it this way. You still get paid for showing up to work, right?

If you end up having to redo a bunch of work, it's not really your problem so long as you are paid for redoing it.

Maybe take steps to document that this was suddenly sprung on you guys and you have to now redo a bunch of work, so you can defend yourselves if someone criticizes you for not having gotten it done yet.

Otherwise just show up for work, do what they want you to do, and collect your paycheck.

I realize that these kinds of bureaucratic inefficiencies can sometimes be frustrating. But if there is nothing that you personally can do to fix them, and if they don't actually harm you, sometimes it's best just to take care of yourself and say that bureaucratic inefficiencies are someone else's problem.

You should still strive to do a good job at whatever they ask you to do of course. But if they waste their resources by wasting the work that they pay you to do, that's their loss, not yours.
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:10 am
@oralloy,
I see what you are getting at - this is in part a rant.

But also - it is our busiest time so to re-do work is a huge deal. I do not, as more than half my team - get paid OT. So we would just have to absorb this work by working more hours at no compensation.

Also - it does not appear anyone spoke to our client about this - they may not be happy with it (and likely will not). My manager though has a meeting which includes these individuals who just changed this - according to my manager they spoke about it but nothing was mentioned about implementing or when - just initial talk of it. My manager is very clear on our issues (and supports it) so hopefully we can get some sort of compromise - I am hoping that they change it for next cycle which to me makes more sense - that would be for the beginning of 2020.

It also does not sit well with people when no one I know received a raise this year. And some people did not get a bonus as they have in previous years so morale is pretty low as it is- asking people to work more hours because some bonehead decides last minute to change something really is it not good.

So I understand how you say it is their loss not yours - it is my loss - I would have to provide more of my own personal time and work extra hours with no compensation as I am salaried.

The only reason actually I stay with this position and have not looked elsewhere is my flexibility - I have a junior in high school and want to be able to participate in any of her activities that I can knowing she has only a year and a half and then I have no more kiddies in the house. I am able to see almost all her games; I can change my schedule so I work from home and attend these games and other school events.

Besides that you get dumped on - and they have the attitude of well you are lucky to have a job and not be laid off (as most of our co-workers are overseas - they have laid off many people here locally).
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:12 pm
From odd e-mails to lack of raises, lack of apparent communication with anybody (employees, clients) and lack of bonuses, it almost seems the company is doing their darndest to head over to bankruptcy.

Understand though, your wanting to stay put, at least until your younger child graduates.
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Well I did get a bonus, but some people did not.and the company did have increased profits.

Now I find out because this was not discussed with the client we need to do both, but I am able to go to my daughters first high school playoff game. It has been years since her small school that a girls team made it to the playoffs. They are under dogs but better to be an under dog than to not make it.

Just getting ready to go in... go Warriors!
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:46 pm
@Linkat,
Yay Warriors!
(I can say this easily as my high school - the one I graduated from eons ago, had The Warriors for all their sport teams)
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:36 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
The only reason actually I stay with this position and have not looked elsewhere is my flexibility - I have a junior in high school and want to be able to participate in any of her activities that I can knowing she has only a year and a half and then I have no more kiddies in the house. I am able to see almost all her games; I can change my schedule so I work from home and attend these games and other school events.

Maybe once she is a couple months away from from graduating, you might want to think about looking for a new job.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 06:22 am
@Sturgis,
Sadly they lost almost came back and won in the last quarter - my daughter had more than half the points for her team - for some reason your team could not hit a basket - they did play amazing defense but the offensive was lacking.

But you are talking about a high school with 70 kids vs one with 500.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ever get work email that starts.."As you know.." but you do not know?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:46:50