Which is the correct punctuation?

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:57 am
Our immune system is essential for our survival. Without it, our body would be open to attack from bacteria, viruses, parasites, and more. The vast network of cells and tissues that make up our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders, and once an enemy is spotted, our immune system mounts a complex attack on the invading pathogen(s).

Which is the correct punctuation -- the original or the following?

...invaders and, once an enemy is spotted, our immune system mounts a complex attack on the invading pathogen(s).

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 367 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 08:21 pm
I would prefer the second.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 10:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I would prefer the second.

Many thanks, Setanta!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 07:30 pm
I think there should be a comma before and after the and. However, I think the first way is preferable.
0 Replies

shenne

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 06:50 pm
Why not just replace the word "and" with a period?
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 07:49 pm
@tanguatlay,
Once more unto the breach.

The correct punctuation allows you to move or remove phrases without the sentence losing sense:

1. Our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders, and once an enemy is spotted, (our immune system) mounts a complex attack.

Our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders, (our immune system) mounts a complex attack, and once an enemy is spotted.

Incorrect.

2 .Our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders and, once an enemy is spotted, (our immune system) mounts a complex attack.

Our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders and, (our immune system) mounts a complex attack, once an enemy is spotted.

Correct.

Delete the repetition shown in brackets.

The use of commas in the sentence is optional, bordering on superfluous.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 08:46 pm
@tanguatlay,
Our immune system is constantly on the lookout for invaders, and mounts a complex attack when an enemy is spotted.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:43 pm
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2020 09:02 am
Thanks to all those who replied, especially to Miss Toad for her analytical reply!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which is the correct punctuation?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:41:53