Mattress/Platform Bed Advice Please

chai2

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:35 am
I'm going to be getting a modern platform bed and mattress when I move.

Been checking out different brands, for instance, Layla, Casper, Nectar and others.
Watched youtube reviews and read others.

Anyone here have any experience with these types of beds?
Suggestions as to best brand?
Do you know someone who has mentioned they particulary liked or disliked their bed, and why?

Specifically looking for memory foam and platform. No boxsprings or coils.

Um, if you would, please don't just list links to websites or videos if you don't have experience with them. That's what I've been doing.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 835 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:53 am
@chai2,

Hurry before they're gone.

https://www.savoirbeds.com/
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 09:24 am
@chai2,
I have Casper mattresses in both summer and winter homes. I’ve had back problems for decades and these are comfy and the best night’s sleep I’ve ever had. Same for my significant other. Highly recommend the choice. 3 years later and no impression or sagging and doesn’t make you sweat or have you in a tunnel.
Ragman

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 09:52 am
@Ragman,
Furthermore, in my past life I used to (for awhile) sell both conventional and “modern” bedding that used synthetic materials. Stearns and Foster (higher end brand) had some decent modern materials mattresses but I always found issues with them over time, But I digress. Once, I found Casper mattresses, that was it.

The key issue (when you spend $900+) is how well the mattresses maintain their comfort OVER TIME. Many ‘decent’ non-conventional material beds don’t keep sleep comfort for more than 7 years without starting to degrade. Conventional beds (springs/coils) degrade in even a shorter timeframes before you must replace them or risk chronic back issues.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:00 am
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman!

Casper is one of the brands I was checking out. Good to know you're happy with it.

Did you try any others before deciding?

Ragman

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:10 am
@chai2,
I’ve tried (repeatedly others in store and other retailers) both conventional and non-conventional as well as hybrid beds. A few luxury models in Stearns and Foster around $1500-$1800 were promising but over time they didn’t hold up comfort. Casper beds are as comfy the first time or the 100th time. Our son-in-law has one 2 years longer than we have and still rave. They’re beefy 6-footers, too. FWIW, I’m 5ft-7 and average weight and my partner is a petite-average lady.

I recall paying around $1700 about 3 years ago. Most people get crazy (temporarily) over spending $1000-1500 for a bed, But in the long term you won’t need to replace it every 5-7 years. Cheaper in the long run and you save your back and get comfy we’ll-rested sleep.
Ragman

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:29 am
@Ragman,
Furthermore, we bought their platform foundation as it was excellent and maintains the support evenly and is sturdily built too.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:39 am
@Ragman,
Yep. You get what you pay for.

My benchmark for price is when I've owned something I really like for awhile, or done something, and someone asks me how much it was, I can honestly say "I don't remember".

Years ago, I was in the market for some carpeting. I found one that was on the high end, but I just loved it.
Right before I was going to purchase, I found one that was I guess a fair amount less, and that I liked "almost" as much.

I was battling it out in my mind, and told a friend/co-worker about it.

All she said was "Fine. Get the less expensive one and every time you look at it for the next 20 years think about how you liked the other one better."

Needless to say, I got the one I loved. I couldn't begin to tell you what it cost.
Ragman

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:42 am
@chai2,
The good thing about Caspers is that they give you a 30-day (more?) comfort guarantee and will pay shipping if return is needed. Many reputable mfrs do this these days - especially the non-conventional material bedding companies.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 06:28 pm
Ooooh boy.

While out and about today, I passed a mattress store that had the Purple mattress.

Having heard about them, I pulled in to take a peek.

They had 4 different models, from the basic which most people get I guess, all the way to their top of the line.

I laid down on the first one and thought, "Oh, yeah, this is nice, very nice. Yup. Real comfy.

I figured over time I would stop by stores that feature the Casper, and the others, to check them out. I'm putting the house on the market, so don't want to buy anything until I have a new place.

So then I thought that I'd go to the other end and get on the premium, to see if there was enough difference to even tell it was better.

Oh......My......God.

I got on it and my immediate thought was "I am not going to ever get up again."
I mean I literally felt like I each part of my body was being cradled and supported in exactly the right way. The next thing I thought was "the boys (my cats) would love this."

The top layer is this honeycomb thing that's like a cloud, and keeps the bed cool.

I'm going to have to start a spreadsheet to keep track of all this.

https://www.mattressclarity.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/purple-feel.jpg

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mattress/Platform Bed Advice Please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 01:19:54