What to do about transgender athletes?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 11:22 pm
@neptuneblue,
Neptune's article is great. It talks about the difficulty of the issue, and it looks at the two different perspectives respectfully. (without calling anyone a bigot).

I think what this article is saying is pretty close to what Linkat has been saying all along (although maybe I should let Linkat say this for herself).
RABEL222

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 02:34 pm
If they are biological females they should compete with females. If they are biological males then they should compete with males.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 06:52 pm
@RABEL222,
So... Rabel sides with the bigots on this one.

Stepping out of the ideological bubble a little... well done!
roger

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 07:25 pm
@maxdancona,
You mean, he disagreed with you.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 07:31 pm
@roger,
Quite the contrary Roger. You missed what happened. On this thread... Rabel is agreeing with me. I am pretty sure that makes him a misogynist.

I welcome him to the dark side.

RABEL222

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 07:45 pm
@maxdancona,
There are already sports rules out the yang yang. Simplifying things makes sense to me.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 07:54 pm
Ohio House bill would prohibit medical procedures for transgender youth
Updated Feb 11, 2020; Posted Feb 11, 2020

By Laura Hancock, cleveland.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Transgender people under age 18 wouldn’t be able to take puberty blockers or undergo surgical procedures if a draft bill in the Ohio House passed.

The legislation, sponsored by Republican Reps. Bill Dean of the Dayton area and Ron Hood of Pickaway County, was announced Tuesday by the lawmakers, along with Christian policy group Citizens for Community Values.

The legislation is still being drafted. The plan is to criminally penalize physicians who perform the procedures, said Aaron Baer, president of Citizens for Community Values.

“What we’re trying to accomplish in this bill is that these procedures cannot be done. It would cause sterilization, irreparable damage to children that can’t be reversed,” Hood said. “That’s what makes this such a problem. Decisions made in childhood that are very, very permanent and cause sterilization cannot be reversed.”

Ohio LGBTQ nondiscrimination bill has widespread public, business support. Why hasn’t it passed?

The Ohio Fairness Act -- known as Senate Bill 11 and House Bill 369 -- are moving slowly -- if at all -- in the Ohio General Assembly, despite widespread support.

Ohio’s LGBTQ advocates and members of the medical community criticized the draft legislation.

Dr. Scott Leibowitz, a child and adolescent psychiatrist and medical director of the THRIVE Gender Development Program at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, said in a statement that the legislative effort pits the Hippocratic oath against the law.

“Evidence-based policy statements and clinical guidelines––published by every mainstream pediatric medical professional association––speak for themselves and are paving the path for minors to receive care that promotes the healthy outcomes the youth deserve,” he said.

In South Dakota, similar legislation was intended to stop procedures for youth under age 16. But it died in a Republican-controlled Senate Committee on Monday after the House had passed it, according to the Associated Press.

Similar measures are before legislatures in South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky and New Hampshire.

Wells Logan, a board-certified pediatrician in the Columbus area, said he’s concerned about harm to children.

“It’s an identity crisis in children. They need counseling. They need help and for a boy to suggest that he wants to be a girl, every cell in his body is XY," he said, describing the chromosomes that determine biological sex. “For a girl, every cell in her body is XX.”

But is it the government’s job to tell doctors how to treat patients?

Baer said that the government gets involved in public health issues, such as prohibiting smoking cigarettes until age 21.

“There are plenty of areas where the government says this is so egregious, this is so dangerous to children that we have to intervene and protect,” he said.

Most of the time, medical procedures for youth must be cleared with parents. But there have been some exceptions.

In 2016, a Hamilton County teen who identified as transgender was hospitalized in the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center psychiatric ward for mental health issues. The hospital would not release the child to the parents since the teen had reported that the parents opposed hormone therapy and once made the child sit in a room and listen to Bible scriptures for more than six hours.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 08:00 pm

Hypothetically speaking, what would have been the consequences of allowing and sanctioning a real boxing match that featured a woman boxer vs. Mike Tyson?
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 08:07 pm
@Real Music,
http://media.socastsrm.com/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/684/files/2017/06/tyson.jpg
Real Music

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 08:10 pm
@neptuneblue,

That is funny. Smile
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 08:37 pm
@Real Music,

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2020 09:30 am
For people who support freedom of gender-choice in competitive sports or other competitions:

should anything be done to prevent people who naturally identify with a certain gender from artificially claiming a different identity in order to give them a competitive advantage?

Why don't people just compete in their performance category regardless of gender? If a feminine woman can compete better with some masculine men that with transgender women or transgender men, why shouldn't she compete in the category that best fits her performance level instead of worrying about whose gender identity fits with whose?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2020 08:59 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

My issue with your argument is the reference to transgender individuals as taking advantage of their biological sex just to win at sports at all costs.

I never said that - not once. I did say that they would have a physical advantage - I never said that they do this intentionally or otherwise or certainly at all costs - please point out specifically where I said this.

Quote:
You've cleared up how those differences are mitigated at the collegiate level but not at high school level. Unfortunately, transgender youth under 18 are at an disadvantage when meds cannot or will not be prescribed.

I agree that was what I was pointing out - how can we make this fair for both groups at the high school level. It was a question thrown out there so that both groups can have a level of fairness. Not one having an advantage over another.

Quote:
Hopefully you can understand a transgender athlete is just an athlete.

Again I have never said otherwise.

And this article is saying EXACTLY what I am stating - I particular think this gets to the heart of the matter:

Quote:
“It’s amazing how polarized people get. Connecticut could be on the forefront of creating a structure or some way that lets both transgender and cisgender females fully participate, so that they both can be protected,” said Felice Duffy, a former federal prosecutor with a law practice in New Haven that focuses on Title IX. “There’s good people who will be very willing to talk about it and do it in way that makes sense.”

“I don’t know of a woman athlete who doesn’t want trans girls to be treated fairly. But the cost of treating her fairly should not come at the cost of discriminating against a biologically-female-at birth woman.”
Donna Lopiano, Sports consultant

It is called talking about it and working things out so it is fair to all.

If you thoroughly read what I wrote this is exactly what I am talking about.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2020 09:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Neptune's article is great. It talks about the difficulty of the issue, and it looks at the two different perspectives respectfully. (without calling anyone a bigot).

I think what this article is saying is pretty close to what Linkat has been saying all along (although maybe I should let Linkat say this for herself).

Thank you - yes - this article pretty much - not sums it up because it is so long - but basically is explaining what I am getting at; I do like how it sounds groups in CT are open to discussing different alternatives.

If some individuals can get past thinking this is bigots or discrimination - they can read through and see I am asking for solutions/thoughts how you can be fair to both. I do like the one reference again that says if females and males where physically like each it would be a non-issue - it would co-ed sports.
livinglava

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2020 03:26 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I do like the one reference again that says if females and males where physically like each it would be a non-issue - it would co-ed sports.

Sports, even team sports, could just be organized by performance level and not gender segregated at all. If that were done, though, men could join women's teams as long as they performed at the level of the team, and that could bump lower-performing women down below the highest category. And of course the same could happen with men when higher-performing women entered their teams and bumped them down to lower performance level teams.

The question is whether you want to continue having separate championship categories for men and women, or whether to just have separate performance level categories. E.g. instead of their being a women's world cup and a men's world cup; you would just have world cup division A and world cup division B and both divisions would be open to all genders and sexes.

You could also replace national teams with language teams. I.e. players don't really need to all share the same nationality/citizenship but they do need to communicate in the same one or more languages. So then instead of having separate teams for different countries that speak the same language, you could just have different teams according to the number of population they represent, the way the house of representatives is proportioned seats according to how many voters are represented by each seat.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 02:29:48