What really happened to Gus: An homage...

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:30 am
It happened a few weeks ago, out on the front porch of Gus' shack. It was pretty near sundown on a hot, sultry, swamp-smelly night. I was in a cheap metal folding chair, and Gus was behind me with the scissors. Gus was, as well as a master storyteller and a capybara farmer, a damned fine barber as well. Because of his storytelling ability, his haircuts tended to take an unecessarily long time, which is quite possibly one of the main reasons why he never got far with that particular occupation. I didn't mind though. I liked his stories.

On this particular night, he was telling me the story of how he'd narrowly escaped death a few weeks before during a life and death struggle with a beast called the chupacabra. It was, as all of Gus' stories were, wonderfully entertaining, but complete bullshit.

Or so I thought.

I sat there as he cut and talked, cut and talked, and the sun was fading further and further into the night...and then, just when the darkness was at a point where I was wondering how Gus could possibly see enough not to clip off a good slice of my ear, I heard the noise.

It was a high-pitched sound, not unlike the squealing of a pig--coming from the woods, but far off somewhere. Gus, being all caught up in the story he was telling, seemed not to hear it. He raised his scissors-wielding hands and began to gesture wildly as he described the deadly chupacabra attack. I remember how low his voice became as he described the beast...

"...A hideous creature indeed. About the size of an orangutan, yet thinner and more reptilian. It vaguely resembled gollum, from the Lord of the Rings, but had a bigger head and two prominent fangs. But the eyes! I was mesmerized. Two large red orbs that seemed to glow..."

"Gus, I think it's getting too dark," I said, "maybe we should finish this haircut ins--"

And suddenly, there it was. The chupacabra, with it's ungodly red eyes, thick, lizard-like tale, and those huge, dripping fangs, was upon us. It leapt at me before I could react, and just before those razor-sharp teeth could rip into the soft flesh of my neck, I saw the shadowy flicker of metal. Gus had stabbed the creature in the side of the face with his scissors, saving my life.

The beast squealed ferociously, fell to his side, and Gus jumped on him. I fell off my chair and stumbled to the ground. Gus yelled at me, "Get my gun! It's on the--" but then the chupacabra began thrashing around, trying to launch the old farmer from it's scaly back. Gus held on for dear life--one arm around the beast's neck and the other bringing the scissors down repeatedly, trying to stab the wounded monster to death. There was no way Gus was going to be able to hold on much longer.

I ran into the house, trying to find Gus' shotgun. I could hear the beast squealing, although I could not tell if it was in pain or triumph. Gus was grunting with effort, and I looked frantically around the living room, which was, as always, a mess. PVC tubing, Tractor parts, a bucket of capybara feed, a large girdle--but no shotgun.

Suddenly I heard a loud thump outside, and the squealing of the chupacabra changed to a low growl. I grabbed the only thing I could find that looked like it might serve my purposes--Gus' prize possession, his ancient and rusty-keyed old 1906 Underwood typewriter, the machine that he had used to write all his stories and quips here on A2K--and went back out to see if I could save my friend.

Gus was lying on the wood floor in the corner of the porch, and the beast was drooling in front of him, ready to pounce. I held the bulky Underwood over my head, ready to throw it at the chupacabra. When Gus saw what it was that I had brought to use as a weapon, his eyes grew wide with shock and surprise. He shouted, "MY UNDERWOOD! NO, KICKY, NO!"

I hesitated. God help me, when I heard Gus' shout, I hesitated for just a moment. And in that moment of hesitation, the chupacabra pounced.

The crunch of bone beneath the heavy jaws of the beast was sickening as they ripped into his torso, but not as sickening as the bellow of agony that the old man himself let out. I will hear that sound in my dreams until my dying day, I'm sure.

I stood there, unable to move, Gus' Underwood still poised above my head. After what seemed like an eternity, the echoes from Gus' final agonized cry fell silent. The beast turned to me, Gus hanging from it's mouth like a large ragdoll, scissors still lodged in it's sinewy neck, and flicked it's tale at me in a gesture of dismissal. The chupacabra then simply bounded away.

After they disappeared into the din of the early night, I finally lowered the Underwood, black misery falling over me like a blanket. I walked back into the shack. I ever-so-gently placed the typewriter back where it had been on the table. I looked around at the empty house.

And after many heavy tears, I began to write.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,324 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:54 am
**Always fearing the dreaded chupacabra herself, Lady J wept deeply and profoundly at dear Gus' absence** Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:40 pm
A very sad story kicky...and much more regrettable, is that poor Gus had to part with his typewriter Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
Are you sure you heard right? I think "MY UNDERWEAR! NO, KICKY, NO!" is probably more apropos.

In any case, that would make a good epitaph.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:53 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Are you sure you heard right? I think "MY UNDERWEAR! NO, KICKY, NO!" is probably more apropos.

In any case, that would make a good epitaph.

I think you're right...of course he would never part with them...they were probably the only pair he ever owned!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:58 pm
Can chupacabras get food poisoning?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
I think gus was merely faking it. Remember the movie Men In Black?

Well K purposly got eaten for the sole purpose of getting his gun back and blowing up the creature from the inside out. I'm sure a man of such creativity and brilliance, like gus, would never allow a creature to actually devore him. He would merely play dead long enough to be brought back to the lair and wait for the right time to strike.

I'm sure that at this moment he is locked in a mortal battle with an entire den of chupacabra and will soon finish them off once and for all. Then once he hangs their carcasses out to dry, he will hop on the old Underwood once again and wow us all with his adventures. He knew he'd be back and would need his trusty old typewriter again... that is why he told you not to smash it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
I took these at Gus's farm a while back....*sigh*

Photos
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:30 pm
Those are pretty cool, bella. You know, reading my little Gus-inspired story again, I actually got a little bit sad, for real! I can't believe some person I never met in real life could have such a damn impact.

I hope he comes back.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
kickycan wrote:
Those are pretty cool, bella. You know, reading my little Gus-inspired story again, I actually got a little bit sad, for real! I can't believe some person I never met in real life could have such a damn impact.

I hope he comes back.

I love those little, er big critters.

I miss Gus and his bizarre sense of humor too. Sad I know what you mean about people you never met and how they can affect you. I think of most of you guys on here as friends even though I don't really even know you.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:40 pm
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
What did really happen to Gus?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:56 pm
I know, I'm actually worried about him.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm
I thought he changed his screen name to Ellpus.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:45 pm
Oh my God, kicky. What a horrible, horrible way to go. And what a terrible thing for you to witness! I hope you haven't been scarred for life. Ratzenhofer was a true genius. I shall remember him forever.

Rest in pieces, Gus. Sad
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:13 am
Gus is alright, right? I love his writing! Are you guys kidding, this is a joke right? Confused I know what kicky wrote is, about the chupacabra eating him. But, he is not sick or anything, is he? Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:25 am
Only the Shadow knows...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:27 am
That sounds like I think I know.

Nah.

I don't know, re gus.

I'll busy myself thinking Gus is happy, where'er he may fall, kersplat.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:33 am
*giggles@osso*

Well I hope he is alright, and happy with his friends the chupacabras. Does he breed them! LOL
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:59 am
kickycan wrote:

I hope he comes back.

I was wondering, kicky, as I read your gus story, if YOU might be gus? You sound so alike. :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What really happened to Gus: An homage...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:02:33