Iowa Caucus Winners are LOSERS!

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 11:29 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Joe Biden is going to be the nominee.

I was wrong. No one gets the nomination without coming in first or second place in New Hampshire.

Accordingly, the Democratic nominee is going to be either Sanders or Buttigieg -- unless Bloomberg succeeds in upending the whole system, but I think that's unlikely.

When I made my prediction, Biden had been polling second in New Hampshire among likely voters.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:00 am
@oralloy,
That's admirable that you are willing to admit being wrong. But, I think you are being premature at this time. I would wait til after Mar 3 to make your admission.
oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 10:57 am
@McGentrix,
The history of New Hampshire is pretty clear: first or second place or you don't get the nomination.

The only exception was 1968, when LBJ withdrew after already winning New Hampshire.

If Biden or Bloomberg win the nomination now, that is going to upend an awful lot of political history. Bloomberg is at least trying something new (spending a ton of money on Super Tuesday) so perhaps he has a small chance of succeeding. But I don't see any reason why Biden would be able to defy history.

Democriatic: Adlai Stevenson second place
Republican: I Like Ike first place

Democriatic: John F. Kennedy first place
Republican: Richard Nixon first place

Democriatic: Lyndon B. Johnson first place
Republican: Barry M. Goldwater second place

Democriatic: Lyndon B. Johnson withdrew after winning

Democriatic: George McGovern second place

Democriatic: Jimmy Carter first place
Republican: Gerald R. Ford first place

Democriatic: Jimmy Carter first place
Republican: Ronald Reagan first place

Democriatic: Walter Mondale second place
Republican: Ronald Reagan first place

Democriatic: Michael Dukakis first place
Republican: George H. W. Bush first place

Democriatic: Bill Clinton second place
Republican: George H. W. Bush first place

Democriatic: Bill Clinton first place
Republican: Bob Dole second place

Democriatic: Al Gore first place
Republican: George W. Bush second place

Democriatic: John Kerry first place
Republican: George W. Bush first place

Democriatic: Barack Obama second place
Republican: John McCain first place

Democriatic: Barack Obama first place
Republican: Mitt Romney first place

Democriatic: Hillary Clinton second place
Republican: Donald Trump first place
McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 11:59 am
@oralloy,
One cool thing about history is that it is not the future. Just because something has happened in the past, no matter how many times, does not mean it will happen in the future.

The political scene today is so wacky that I doubt anything can be projected yet. Lets not forget that despite the Dems thinking they are all inclusive, most do not yet know Buttigieg is gay and that Sanders has NO chance in beating Trump. Bloomberg is a giant red flag and Biden still wins nationwide polls
engineer

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 01:46 pm
@McGentrix,
I think you are way off saying Sanders can't beat Trump. The election will not be decided on policies but on turn out. If the Dem candidate, regardless of who it is, turns out Democrats, he or she wins. Clinton did not turn out minorities and narrowly lost. If Sanders turns out voters, he wins regardless of his lack of qualifications.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 02:21 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If Sanders turns out voters, he wins regardless of his lack of qualifications.

Just curious. How is 16 years in the House of Reps and 13 years in the US Senate and 8 years as mayor of a capital equate to lack of qualifications? He's much closer to overly qualified to ne.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 02:26 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

most do not yet know Buttigieg is gay

Bull. Those rare stories of self-proclaimed ignorants are being blown out of proportions for media spectacle's sake.

At best, they're anecdotal. At worst? They're manufactured stories to undermine Buttigieg's campaign.
oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 03:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Even before Buttigieg emerged as a major contender, Michigan leftists were planning to put some sort of gay rights ballot proposal on our ballot in November (I suspect as a ploy to try to motivate college students to vote).

If Buttigieg and that initiative are both on our ballot in November, I suspect that gay rights will be a major election theme this year for the left in Michigan.
oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 03:37 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
One cool thing about history is that it is not the future. Just because something has happened in the past, no matter how many times, does not mean it will happen in the future.

Bloomberg is doing something radical and new, so I see a small chance that he will upend history.

But I don't see anything about Biden that would lead me to believe that he also is capable of upending history.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 03:43 pm
@oralloy,
Gay rights are often a part of the motivational efforts to encourage people to vote. Not exactly a new idea.

Similar situations have been proven useful for other minorities as well.
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:17 pm
@Sturgis,
It looks like it's being pushed by the guy who runs Quicken Loans:
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/government/rock-holdings-donates-100000-lgbtq-ballot-initiative
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:48 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The election will not be decided on policies but on turn out.

That is a shame.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 03:39 pm
The Iowa caucus debacle plays right into Trump's 'swamp' narrative

'Congratulations, Democratic Party.

In a display of complete, abject incompetence, and likely enormous anti-Bernie Sanders bias, the historical mismanagement of the Iowa caucuses has gifted President Donald Trump fodder for the very narrative that catapulted him to a shocking 2016 victory: that the "swampy" system is corrupt, soaked in shady money, and should not be trusted.

To make matters worse? That narrative is rooted in reality.'

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/482065-the-iowa-caucus-debacle-plays-right-into-trumps-swamp-narrative
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:24 pm
"Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign plans to ask for a partial recount of the Iowa caucus results"
https://apnews.com/74508879cd193d3ba1f3b75909c0945e
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:13 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
That's admirable that you are willing to admit being wrong. But, I think you are being premature at this time. I would wait til after Mar 3 to make your admission.

It looks like you might be right. Maybe I should have waited.

If Biden secures the nomination after failing in New Hampshire, that is going to be quite an upset.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2020 07:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Even before Buttigieg emerged as a major contender, Michigan leftists were planning to put some sort of gay rights ballot proposal on our ballot in November (I suspect as a ploy to try to motivate college students to vote).

If Buttigieg and that initiative are both on our ballot in November, I suspect that gay rights will be a major election theme this year for the left in Michigan.

It looks like the gay rights proposal is foundering and the progressives are resorting to electronic signatures in a last-ditch effort to save it from sinking.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/04/group-trying-to-put-lgbt-initiative-on-michigan-ballots-turns-to-electronic-signatures.html

I wonder if the courts will let the progressives get away with that. Electronic signatures are likely to be susceptible to all sorts of cheating. If progressives can't win fairly, that doesn't make it all right for them to cheat.

Buttigieg is out in any case. Michigan progressives' hopes for a gay rights themed election this year are already in tatters. Progressives may as well just concede the election to Mr. Trump.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 04:35 pm
@oralloy,
Automakers support progressive efforts to cheat their proposals onto Michigan's 2020 ballot by using fake "electronic" signatures:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/04/michigan-automakers-support-campaign-to-ban-lgbtq-discrimination.html

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2020/04/15/fca-ford-gm-fair-equal-michigan/5138573002/

I'm sure all this progressive cheating will be addressed in court before this is all over.

Those articles are actually from just a few hours after I made my previous post. But I'm not keeping track of the ballot proposal campaigns on a daily basis. Once every two weeks is about the right amount of attention for me to pay to this issue.
oralloy

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 09:11 am
@oralloy,
The cheaters have officially failed:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/05/backers-of-michigan-lgbt-rights-ballot-initiative-sue-the-state-for-ballot-access.html

So, that's the end of that I guess.

A good article (written before the failure) about why progressives shouldn't be allowed to cheat:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/ingrid-jacques/2020/05/23/jacques-virus-doesnt-sanction-election-shenanigans/5236483002/
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 11:04 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Why are you posting garbage here that has NOTHING to do with the Iowa Caucases? Stop using my thread to SEO **** conspiracy crap.
oralloy

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Why are you posting garbage here that has NOTHING to do with the Iowa Caucases?

Because earlier in the thread there was a gay candidate who had a chance of winning, and I mentioned the gay rights initiative in Michigan in relationship to his candidacy.

A place where there is an existing conversation about that gay rights initiative seems a natural place to post news of progressives trying to cheat on that initiative.

I'm also posting updates about it in the "turning the ballot box" thread.

tsarstepan wrote:
Stop using my thread to SEO **** conspiracy crap.

It's not conspiracy crap. Progressives really did try to cheat.

It seems like any time there is voting of any sort, there are progressives trying to cheat.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:49:20