POSSIBLE ANCIENT BOAT BUILDING SITE

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 07:17 pm
From Smithsonian Magazine, An 8,000-Year-Old Platform in Britain Could Be the Oldest Boat-Building Site Ever Discovered. This is from the most ancient period of global warming of which we have any record. Between 8000 and 9000 years ago, climatologists believe that the climate was so warm that the Arctic ocean was ice-free in the summer. (Although distinctly a minority, some climatologists believe that the Arctic Ocean may have been ice free all year round at some point in that period.) As the article explains, sea level rise soon cut off what is now the island of Britain from the European continent. Fascinatin' stuff, sports fans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 554 • Replies: 29
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 06:17 am
@Setanta,
Off the Isle of Wight. Did you know that you can catch a ferry there from Southampton? We're very close indeed, and very Historical.

http://www.isleofwightattractions.co.uk/IOWimages/gam_ordsvywat-sun-1722940555373.png
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 03:33 pm
@Setanta,
I love these Doggerland finds. I saw lst yr in a Science Digest a location of a village with stone foundations and what looked like fire pits and storage areas.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
I take it back, Doggerland began disappearing about 8000 ybp and this article is about a site in much more recent times .
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 05:42 pm
@Setanta,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 05:48 pm
Every thread is improved by a sound track.
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 06:35 pm
@Setanta,
I just love this song so much. I grew up at a marina and the sadness and despair of it reminds me of that time.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:31 am
@chai2,
I have a friend who lives on a boat and keeps the marina. henever we rent a biggerboat now, weve been using his place. He likes living on the boat but what bothers me (from our days sailing Iapetus in the North ATlantic and Gulf of Maine, IT CAN GET FUCKIN COLD OUT , THERE. Our boat bottom did not act as an insulator abd we were often turning on the heat and burning fuel.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 05:42 am
@Setanta,
I wonder when the Viking Long bots were first developed. I saw a reference in TD Price's Ancient Scandinavia, An ARcheological History from the First Humans to the Vikings , that they had a form of a narrow beamed seaworthy boat during the Fosna... culture days, (&th milllenium BCE)
That is waaay earlier than I expected what with some of the modern tech. Maybe these early bots were like UMIAKS that the "skraeling" were using
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 06:25 am
@farmerman,
They seem to have invented clinker-built fishing boats a very long time ago. The knorrir and the longships, though, only appeared in the late 7th century to early 8th century CE. (A knorr was the fat-bellied cargo ship with which they made most of their voyages--longships were not seaworthy for long voyages in the Atlantic.) The supply of tall, straight oak trees was quickly exhausted in Scandinavia, and the lack of central authority meant that they had reached their hey day by the early 11th century, when the nations of western Europe began to routinely defeat them, even larger armies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 06:28 am
The Gokstad ship was built in 890 CE, and seems to have been a cross between a knorr and a longship.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 06:42 am
@Setanta,
So Price's references were maybe about first fishing boats after it warmed enough to make coastal movement less threatening.You familiar with the book?? Id reccommend it. (theres an e- version too), it reviews the various artifacts from the late paleolithic through iron and "Viking" cultures. Theres a fairly well agreed upon time-line.

Youd get more out of it than I did. I was looking mostly for citations wrt rad dating and culture evidence.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 07:14 am
@farmerman,
It's just east of Yarmouth. You can get a ferry there directly from Lymington in the New Forest, but if it was me I'd go from Southampton to Cowes and drive there. Our service is more regular.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 07:49 am
@farmerman,
I f*cking hate boats. Always have.
It was a business, pure and simple, one I was never interested in. The owners/workers aren't out sailing about. They're cleaning barnecles, pumping gas and dealing with drunks and a$$holes.

Ask me why I live in Central Texas and Central Mexico.
3.5 and 7 hours drive time respectively from the nearest ocean.

When I say sadness and despair, I meant mine, not the place.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:22 am
@chai2,
whew hard to get happy after that .(I love the water Im a water-watcher)
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
I always loved brits fo thinkong that everyone should be given a mile by mile account of any road trip. Thats what made Monty Python gret, an over expression about the mundane .

I forget whther it was the Goons or Pythons who did a radio skectch about getting out of town in preparation for a nuke attack and they get into an argument about the routes.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Mile by mile? It's the Isle of Wight. It's tiny, and the ferry is only about a mile away from where I live anyway.

I was being helpful, using my invaluable local knowledge to assist those interesting in travelling.

If you wanted mile by mile I would have given you directions from Heathrow.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 10:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

(I love the water Im a water-watcher)

That's nice. Good for you.

I love the mountains and miles of rolling land.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 11:00 am
I can be happy with water or dry land. Depends what I am doing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
I love dogs AND cats too. Ive never understood how this world must be either /or.

1. Forums
  2. » POSSIBLE ANCIENT BOAT BUILDING SITE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:35:26