When someone asks you to change your name.

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
A possible Producer for my new documentary called Mimetoliths has informed me I should change my name. Should I even though I dislike it myself ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,562 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:01 pm
Sorry to be rewritten later.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:01 pm
the name of your documentary, or your personal name?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:04 pm
You dislike your name or dislike changing it?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
You could always keep your name, but in a roundabout way, by making up an anagram.

You could become "Zeke Slimygas"
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:55 pm
or alan smithee ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm
I actually typed Algis Kemezys Smith, as a sort of joke, but deleted it - I am not for name changing. But I also understand the point. It is hard to memorize how to spell your last name, for us here in the US.

Given that you might go with it, a bit, I could see, Algis Kemez or Keme or Kemey, or some similar easy version.
but then, no, I don't think even going with with self demolition is all that useful, even given that you would do it.

So ---- I'm for being yourself, your own name is fine, best.

It's the name Smith that is odd here now.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:23 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Lord Ellpus, you are guilty of manslaughter, Sir, bec. I am LMAO and dying in the process. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PS: you hit on one of my favorite pastimes, viz. anagrams. Here are some for your own username:

Droll Pulse (fits you to a T) Dull Sloper (DEFINITELY not applicable! Very Happy ) Lull Dopers-----Roll Up Sled-----Duller Slop (again, not applicable)------Dull Proles (Nahhh....) Lord Sell Up (Hmmmnnn...)

(Algis, many apologies 4 digressing on your thread. Couldn't help myself, tho! :wink: )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:26 pm
I should explain - I spent a bunch of years with a screenwriter husband trying to get his scripts produced (while I earned the mortgage money). I understand the pull to do what needs to be done to get something on, although in our contretemps, I was on the don't do it side, re things like change your name.

If changing your name fractionally would help make you into a movie star, I might pause a second, but in the world of documentary-art flics, I don't see how such a demeaning choice is even useful.

OK, something re NOW.
You can't challenge that dictum that you aren't listed as an artist in Canada?
I don't think you should represent yourself with them, Algis, as you are too angry and let me guess not sober from time to time, but perhaps someone else could plead your case. Bunches of us think you are plenty artistic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:27 pm
I think requests for name changes should be taken with a great deal of caution. Look at what Hollywood did to some folk: imagine being Rip Torn, or Rock Hudson for the rest of your career, for god's sake! Razz
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:42 am
Methinks that you will make it, Algis, whatever name you choose. You are an extremely funny "poster" when you are on form, with a unique approach which just hits my humour switch every time.
It is obvious that you have great lateral thinking, and if you can get this across in your films, you cant fail IMO.

Personally, I think that your name is absolutely ideal for "arty" films, but it is more difficult to remember, for us people with more boring names.

Why dont you just use your first name.....everyone can pronounce Algis.

"Algis films inc"

"Algis arts"

"Arty Algis"

"20th Century Algis"

......I want future royalties though, when you hit the big time.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:40 am
diagknowz wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

PS: you hit on one of my favorite pastimes, viz. anagrams. Here are some for your own username:

Droll Pulse (fits you to a T) Dull Sloper (DEFINITELY not applicable! Very Happy ) Lull Dopers-----Roll Up Sled-----Duller Slop (again, not applicable)------Dull Proles (Nahhh....) Lord Sell Up (Hmmmnnn...)

Personally, I think I should become Dell Slurpo, and sell used cars.
We do this a lot at work.....and the BEST name that I ever came across (you try it) was a colleague by the name of Peter Dickens. Loads of funny ones on that one. Dern Peestick was my favourite.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
Well, Rip Torn and Rock Hudson became stars. So the guy who told them to change their name probably did them a favor.

Although the name Rock Hudson changed his name from-Roy Fitzgerald-seems like a name someone would want to change their name to.

Regardless, many famous people change their name. Sam Clemens can change his professional name to Mark Twain, it shouldn't hurt you much to change your name for professional reasons.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:43 pm
Name change
Algis, don't change your name.
There was a time when only English sounding names were in vogue and were necessary to succeed. Jewish sounding names were apparently not encouraged in the earlier days of Hollywood. Izzy Iskowitz became either Danny Kaye or Eddie Cantor. Benny Kubelski became Jack Benny.
Marion __became John Wayne.

Today, we have stars with difficult to pronounce names and ethnic names galore. This country has become more knowledgeable about foreign names and, perhaps, more tolerant, when people started to use their real ethnic, names. Pride in being Polish, Italian, Latvian, Japanese, Jewish, or whatever.

Some of our family went from an eleven letter name and shortened it to as little as three letters. But the younger generation has retained the full eleven letters. It seems more sophisticated than the puny English sounding alterations.

So, Algis, don't change. Your name will sound better and better to yoou as you be become more and more recognized.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
The man who took this photo

http://www.photography-match.com/portfolio200/4/21930.jpg

has the right to keep his own name.

I love knowing that I can type your name into google and find photographs that make me think and smile and reflect.

link

or these images

http://www.zonezero.com/comunity/portfolios/experimental/kemezys/4en.html
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:40 am
Thanks for these comments....More later when I get it together.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:02 pm
Just want to say that I think Algis.Kemezys is an excellent name for an artist! It has a certain authority & seems rather mysterious! Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:39 pm
I noticed the photo of Paul and Linda McCartney. Wow!

When was that taken?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
Algis.Kemezys, we appreciate you.

As Noddy would say, and I rarely do since I am not so fond of dominions from years past, hold your dominion!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:18 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
....As she was leaving saying she just was working for FEMI....

What's FEMI?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » When someone asks you to change your name.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 08:20:00