From a Trump supporter: ‘Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:20 pm
An anguished question from a Trump supporter: ‘Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?’

The serious answer: Here’s what we really think about Trump supporters - the rich, the poor, the malignant and the innocently well-meaning, the ones who think and the ones who don't...

That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people, you thought "Fine."

That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff his creditors, you said, "Okay."

That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual abuse, you said, "No problem."

That when he made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center, you said, "Not an issue."

That when you saw him brag that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and you wouldn't care, you chirped, "He sure knows me."

That when you heard him illustrate his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him, you said, "That's cool!"

That when you saw him mock the disabled, you thought it was the funniest thing you ever saw.

That when you heard him brag that he doesn't read books, you said, "Well, who has time?"

That when the Central Park Five were compensated as innocent men convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and he angrily said that they should still be in prison, you said, "That makes sense."

That when you heard him tell his supporters to beat up protesters and that he would hire attorneys, you thought, "Yes!"

That when you heard him tell one rally to confiscate a man's coat before throwing him out into the freezing cold, you said, "What a great guy!"

That you have watched the parade of neo-Nazis and white supremacists with whom he curries favor, while refusing to condemn outright Nazis, and you have said, "Thumbs up!"

That you hear him unable to talk to foreign dignitaries without insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral win, you said, "That's the way I want my President to be."

That you have watched him remove expertise from all layers of government in favor of people who make money off of eliminating protections in the industries they're supposed to be regulating and you have said, "What a genius!"

That you have heard him continue to profit from his businesses, in part by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns, and you have said, "That's smart!"

That you have heard him say that it was difficult to help Puerto Rico because it was in the middle of water and you have said, "That makes sense."

That you have seen him start fights with every country from Canada to New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, "falling in love" with the dictator of North Korea, and you have said, "That's statesmanship!"

That Trump separated children from their families and put them in cages, managed to lose track of 1500 kids, has opened a tent city incarceration camp in the desert in Texas - he explains that they’re just “animals” - and you say, “Well, OK then.”

That you have witnessed all the thousand and one other manifestations of corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and contempt for you, the working American voter, and you still show up grinning and wearing your MAGA hats and threatening to beat up anybody who says otherwise.

What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2020, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.

Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are less flattering.

I only wish I knew who wrote this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 722 • Replies: 30

McGentrix

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:22 pm
Quote:
Topic voted down (view)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:25 pm
Many Trump supporters are not so much stupid as fed up and grasping at straws. They know neither party has worked for them. They see the Trump wrecking ball as getting some back on the system.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nothing like tearing apart the raft one's on just because he's upset about where its going.

Maybe its not the raft, its captain bonespurs.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:34 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You can't convince the people I wrote about to abandon Trump for something better by telling them they are stupid.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe not, but if I see someone walking into trap and whinge about it and ask why and its because they are operating under cognitive dissonance, and they keep asking why, the only recourse is bluntness.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Bluntness from your perspective is not necessarily what is needed.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 03:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
We each have a respectful opinion about that. If I am asked the question over and over -honest, factual, truthful bluntness is the last arrow in the quiver.

Patient: It hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Then stop doing that!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 03:40 pm
If I came on and accused you of stupidity unrelentingly you would learn nothing.
livinglava

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 03:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

An anguished question from a Trump supporter: ‘Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?’

Before I read this thread, I thought this was a real question about why liberals and republicans think differently, so I was going to give an example that I've been thinking about lately, which is that liberals hold a simple view about Obamacare, which is that the government should just subsidize more coverage so more people can have healthcare, while conservatives, the compassionate ones at least, tend to look more at the the structural economic problems that would be exacerbated by retaining Obamacare and see how those ultimately make Obamacare a self-defeating policy.

Still, to a liberal who think about the world in terms of there being plenty of money to do all these things, only the rich are too chintzy to cough up the money to 'level the playing field,' anti-Obamacare rhetoric just seems like a bunch of propaganda to prevent some people from getting health care.

Then, because they don't look at the bigger picture about the problems subsidies/stimulus cause, they view conservatives as conspiracy theorists who read more into things than there really is, hence their view that conservatives are stupid.

This is really a problem, because it makes it impossible to have a real discussion about how insurance drives up prices and costs generally, and especially when it is subsidized; and really many people should be upset about the fact that insurance, subsidized or not, drives up those costs and then medical training becomes so elite and expensive so that lower-cost providers can't enter markets to serve people for lower prices, plus the corporations that make drugs and other healthcare supplies drive up prices in those markets as well, all because there is so much money to be made from health insurance companies.

I would say that you could sum up Dems/libs as having good intentions with wanting to help those with lesser means, but to do so, they want to allow business to make as much money as possible by having high prices and costs, and then find ways to either tax them or require them to hire and insure more people and thus spread that money around more.

Conservatives, on the other hand, honor the idea that if people make money, however much or little, they should be able to keep it and it should have stable value and not inflate. To achieve that, you have to think harder about how people can achieve things without government, or with a minimum of government assistance and/intervention. That is a difficult challenge, one that Dems/libs tend to blow off as totally unrealistic and thus they see it as an excuse by the rich not to help the poor.

So there are just these different worldviews and assumptions about how things work and what's realistic that have turned into both parties blowing the other off as being totally devoid of sense.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've certainly never "relentlessly accused" anyone of "stupidity".

If one is accused of stupidity relentlessly by people in general, its probably a wise thing to stop for a moment and ask oneself, "is it me or is it everyone else?" or "am I really the victim of 'relentless' ridicule or am I exaggerating a tad?"

I think its a statement of the times when someone can say these provable out of his own mouth things about Trump:

That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people.

That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff his creditors.

That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual abuse.

He made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center
He bragged that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and no one would care.

He illustrated his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him.

We saw him mock the disabled.

Etc.

How does this qualify as "relentless" ridicule? And an assumed relentless ridicule at that.

It may be relentless, but that would be Trumps relentless bad behavior, I would change candidates quickly if one I supported acted like that. I would not feel "relentlessly ridiculed" if one or more persons pointed that crap out. I certainly wouldn't double down my support if someone did point it out to me.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
No. I would think you were an ultra conservative.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 06:26 pm
@livinglava,
Its a tough one. I don't think they're stupid, but I do not get the unremitting support they offer to a demonstrably and genuinely ethically challenged individual.

The sad part for me is I am a fourth or fifth generation Republican but Country comes before parties for me. I support the Office of President but not the man.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
It almost sounds like the argument is: people are so stupid they will only act more stupid when their stupidity is made apparent.

I don't that's whats going on at all. I believe it is cognitive dissonance: they are unable to see the values they believe in are not those of the man they support. He says one thing and exhibits contradictory behavior.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think a blanket calling of a group is counterproductive and lipstick doesn't help it any.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Its a tough one. I don't think they're stupid, but I do not get the unremitting support they offer to a demonstrably and genuinely ethically challenged individual.

The sad part for me is I am a fourth or fifth generation Republican but Country comes before parties for me. I support the Office of President but not the man.

The potential for factionalism was a reason some founding fathers didn't want to have political parties at all.

I personally think it's good to have dissent represented in government, and I think it is disturbing how many people see the other party and/or Trump as an obstruction to streamlining planned agendas that have been pre-approved in a corporate way instead of by open discourse.

Of course the problem is that whenever anything is discussed openly/publicly, there are interests that are going to get involved in the discussion in a way that obstructs and/or otherwise steers it in order to subvert ideas that are threatening to some business or economic interest.

I think we're reaching a point where corporate/business/economic interests subvert democracy whether discussions go on in public or private.

As for whether to support Trump or not, I think it's difficult not to for people who feel threatened and/or disenchanted with the Democratic party. What other option do they have if they don't want to support the Democrats and all the ideologies that they represent?

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Many Trump supporters are not so much stupid as fed up and grasping at straws. They know neither party has worked for them. They see the Trump wrecking ball as getting some back on the system.

I personally have no objections to the system. This is why I support Mr. Trump:

Progressives are out to violate everyone's civil liberties, and Mr. Trump protects America from progressives.

All other considerations are secondary to that.

I also see that many of the accusations against Mr. Trump are factually untrue. But they would be secondary to the need to protect America from progressives even if they had actually been true.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07:20 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I also see that many of the accusations against Mr. Trump are factually untrue.

Ok, which one of the 20 facts that Bobsal posted above is factually untrue?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 08:22 am
@neptuneblue,
Good luck with that. He will say "all of it."
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 08:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, I wouldn't. I think I'd only name about four items from your list (although there are some others that I don't know are either true or false). But since she lies about me and spouts name-calling, answering her questions isn't a high priority.

Maybe later if I get some free time.

1. Forums
  2. » From a Trump supporter: ‘Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:58:29