4 time convicted drunk driver gets 30 years in kids' deaths

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:13 pm
Another sad case of drinking and driving. The judge sent a very strong message here. Hopefully, others who may be tempted to do the same, will take heed.

Nanny gets 30 years in kids' deaths

Arizona Daily Star
June 25, 2005

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MARTINEZ, Calif. - A former nanny who ran down a brother and sister on a suburban sidewalk and then fled, got down on her knees and begged for forgiveness Friday before being sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for second-degree murder.

Jimena Barreto, 46, sobbed as she read a two-page apology to the parents of Troy Pack, 10, and his sister, Alana, 7. The children were riding a scooter and a bike on their way to get Slurpees with their mother and friends on Oct. 26, 2003, when they were struck near their Danville home.

http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2005/06/25/81427-1.jpg

Barreto, a four-time convicted drunken driver, was seen drinking the day of the crash and then spotted driving erratically in her gold 1979 Mercedes. She swerved across two lanes without braking and smashed into the siblings. Barreto has denied drinking, but she admits taking a prescription painkiller and a muscle relaxant before the collision.

Judge Mary Ann O'Malley, who had received letters from Barreto's family and former employers attesting to her character, imposed the maximum sentence for the two counts of second-degree murder. The two sentences of 15 years to life, one for each child, will run consecutively.

A visibly distraught Barreto begged for mercy from the judge and the children's parents - who also wept throughout the proceeding - saying she was a good person who had devoted her life to caring for children and never meant to hurt anybody.

"I am deeply sorry I'm the sole cause of the terrible pain you are going through," Barreto said, struggling to get the words out. "I will not stop asking you and begging you and praying for you that you will forgive me one day."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 796 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm
Why this woman had access to a vehicle should be the question being asked.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:33 pm
My question is why she wasn't taken off the road for an extended period of time after 4 previous convictions!

We have the same problem in our jurisdiction.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:16 am
I agree. I think that it is a comfort to the populace that we won't have to worry about being mowed down by this particular drunken driver for the next 30 years.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:25 am
I see this as evidence to the scandalous extent to which society continues to evade the issues of alcohol abuse.

But i also wonder precisely what the convicted woman's former employment as a nanny has to do with this issue, and why it is a part of the title. It's not relevant to the issue, as far as i can see.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
Set- And she is a FORMER nanny. I think I think that it was the paper's way of getting more mileage out of the story. In fact, when I read the story, my first thought was that there were parents out there, who had hired a nanny, to watch over their kids, who had 4 DUIs on her record. Scary, isn't it! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:31 am
They may well not have known about the DUI's, though, Boss.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:42 am
Setanta wrote:
They may well not have known about the DUI's, though, Boss.

That's what I mean. Can you imagine how this woman's former employers must feel now?

When I was working in a mental health setting, a woman, who was chronically mentally ill, had gotten a job as a nanny, where the parents of the children were two physicians.

She kept the job while she was in remission, and had to leave when the illness exascerbated. I asked her how she was able to get the job, and asked whether her employers had asked for references. She had not worked in decades, because of her illness.

What she said floored me. She stated that the employers interviewed her, told her that she did not have to give references, as they were good judges of character, and were impressed with her! Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 08:04 am
Did i hear you say that there must be a catch
Will you walk away from a fool and his money?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:13 am
Setanta wrote:
But i also wonder precisely what the convicted woman's former employment as a nanny has to do with this issue, and why it is a part of the title. It's not relevant to the issue, as far as i can see.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking of making the subject more descriptive of the actual incident.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:30 am
Nannies drive Mercedeses?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm
Hah . . . that was something else which caught my eye . . . damned successful nanny at some point, eh?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:40 pm
Reyn, You can still revise the title of this forum.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:58 pm
It was a '79 Mercedes, Set. She could have bought it as a used car last year, for all we know.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Reyn, You can still revise the title of this forum.

Sure, okay....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:31 pm
Even my first post on this thread makes more sense now. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:07 pm
Many, many of the Common Folks, the Salt of the Earth, resent people who hire Nannies--or other servants.

The news story by featuring Former Nanny plays to the disapproving masses and sells newspapers to them as well.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 4 time convicted drunk driver gets 30 years in kids' deaths
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:23:40