So it is normal to "break up" by blocking you?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 11:39 am
I know things are different now - much more is done via social media, apps and so forth, but do people really break up by simply blocking your texts and other social media communications?

Situation - early 20 year old girl and guy get together via social apps. They go to school a 2 hour drive away from each. The guy drives the 2 hours back and forth to "date" this young woman. They date this way for a few months - he is a "nice" guy. He pays for all dinners, going out, etc. He even often will drive the 2 hours back and forth within one day.

Come back from Thanksgiving break and the young woman reaches out via text - and voila - no answer - then she is blocked from everything. No contact - nothing - just blocked. Since they had been dating for a bit - even her housemates and friends were "friends" via social media with this guy and then wham - when they reach - they are all blocked.

Is this the new "break up?" Is this normal? No phone call - not even a text to break up? I know my teen had a boyfriend break up with her via text which I thought was bad. This seems even worse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 410 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 01:09 pm
@Linkat,
God, that's nasty. What a wretched way to end a relationship.
engineer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 03:10 pm
@jespah,
Agreed. Makes me wonder if something else happened and they deleted all their social media.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 05:22 pm
@Linkat,
Maturity and adulthood growth is sometimes a non-linear process.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 05:31 pm
The funny thing is this young woman - was thinking of breaking up with this guy. But she was going to do so speaking with him - not sure if it would have been over the phone as he is a two hour drive (kind of mean to have him drive two hours and then dump his butt).

I asked if she thought he maybe had a hint of it - and she said no I doubt it. So on the positive side she was not heart broken at all. A little embarrassed perhaps that someone would treat her that way - especially how nice he was towards her while they were dating.

She did have a nice sweatshirt he left behind -- so she decided to make herself feel better by chopping it up into little pieces.

For me - just didn't know if this was common or as someone noted about maturity. I did say this something you expect from a sixth grader.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 05:47 pm
Aeneas didn't have the backbone to face Dido when he left her to fulfill his destiny, either. He just packed up and left.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 08:20 pm
Dont be surprised if another person is influencing him. Perhaps a new GF who is insisting he burn all bridges behind him.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 11:59 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

She did have a nice sweatshirt he left behind -- so she decided to make herself feel better by chopping it up into little pieces.

She'd have been better off using it as a duster or giving it to a charity shop.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 12:21 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Is this the new "break up?" Is this normal? No phone call - not even a text to break up? I know my teen had a boyfriend break up with her via text which I thought was bad. This seems even worse.

You never heard of ghosting? Also in the Merriam Webster dictionary.
This Is Why Ghosting Hurts so Much, a 2015 article in Psychology Today.
https://i.imgur.com/84lZGao.jpg
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Linkat wrote:

She'd have been better off using it as a duster or giving it to a charity shop.

But you do not get the satisfaction that destroying something like that gives you.

Girls/women love to do this or similar - it is very therapeutic
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 12:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes I have heard of it - but I thought it was more of when you meet someone - not after you dated for them for a while. Or in the instance of where you were more friends or had previously dated but been broken up.

Not as a way to actually break up with someone.

The good thing is she does have good self esteem - just finds it odd - and after the initial embarrassment - as she said I've moved on.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 12:43 pm
@Linkat,
I can't abide waste, I'd be satisfied seeing a homeless person wearing it.

A friend of mine deals lots of things including gold. His best putters are women slamming down their engagement rings just wanting rid of offending item and not really caring how much money they get.
0 Replies

Padman01

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2019 07:18 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah it does happen, but definitely in poor taste.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » So it is normal to "break up" by blocking you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:48:35