Anybody here doing salt baths?

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:49 pm
I first thought about it when I surfed onto a site that highly recommends it. Being impulsive, I thought they referred to regular salt, which I know now can be beneficial too, but salt refers to Epsom salt. The bright and bubbly woman on the video described oils and stuff to add to 2 pounds of salt in a hundred liters of hot water. I don't do essential oils and other stuff, so I just do the salt. After a bit over a week, I am happy with my evening soak.

The other day, I made a bad move, as do we all, we old folks, that made my hip sore. I can walk with it, but it's painful and slow. Last night I was exhausted at bedtime. A while after my soak I took a pain pill, one of those Equate things. Then, as I crawled into bed, my wife had me rub on one of those extreme icy-hot creams. Once the sensation of the cream died off, I slept soundly. I wakened at five, colder than hell. It was not that cold in the room and I was covered with a sheet and a nice blanket.

I had to get up. When I arrived in the living room and pulled off my bedtime shirt, I realized the shirt was soaking wet. No wonder I got so cold. What I am pondering now, has this happened to others who do salt baths, or should I look for another cause?

roger

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 11:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh! I thought 'bath salts' was some kind of street drug. My bad.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 11:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hmm.

That doesn't seem to be one of the reactions one could have. Not saying it's impossible.

However, FWIW, I doubt it was the epsom salt.

Epsom salt baths, and foot soaks are usually very relaxing, between the hot water, and the magnesium. There are stories from mothers with autistic children about how it relaxes the kids.

Maybe it was just one of those 24 hour bugs?

BTW, epsom salts are a great exfoliant. Put some in a bowl and add just a very little bit of oil. Can be body oil, or even just olive, avocado oil. Should be the consistency of wet sand.

After your body gets all warm and hydrated in the shower, turn off the water for a bit, scoop up handfuls and rub all over. Feels marvelous.
Becareful though since the floor of the tub may become slippery. Clean the tub afterwards.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Sweating profusely is a common side effect, if, you had a nice tub soak. Part of what the Epsom salt does is help pull toxic chemicals and waste from your muscles, joints and sinews.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 07:56 am
@Sturgis,
edit: I try to remember to put baking soda to neutralize the water somewhat.
Sturgis wrote:

Sweating profusely is a common side effect, if, you had a nice tub soak. Part of what the Epsom salt does is help pull toxic chemicals and waste from your muscles, joints, and sinews.

This is my primary reason to be doing this. Last night I did my soak. I immediately went to the shower to wash off what was likely expelled, to keep it from soaking back in. I didn't wear the sleeping shirt. This morning just the sheet was wet. I will have to start soaking early in the day to get back on my wife's good side.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:00 am
@chai2,
I should have started this thirty years ago.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:44 am
@edgarblythe,
You have inspired me to take a salt bath later today. I look forward to it.

I just looked, and it’s only going to get up to the mid 50’s today, so it will be delightful.

In San Miguel I go to this Olympic size pool outside of town, which is fed 100% by thermal springs. If you get up to one of the pipes feeding water in, it’s like you died and went to heaven. Thankfully it’s surface area allows enough heat to come off so you can exercise.

However, there is a smaller hot tub where the water is like a hot bath. While floating around it I have imagined what it would be like if you could dump a hundred pounds of epsom salt in it.

There are already minerals in the water, and I think it does a lot of good.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 09:18 am
@chai2,
I've had skin problems as a result of working in a baking sun from teenage to older adult, along with poor dietary choices. In just over a week I notice a huge difference.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 10:33 am
roger has inspired me to do bath salts.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 10:55 am
@hightor,
He's inspired me to write opera and climb Mount Everest.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 10:57 am
@edgarblythe,

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 11:25 am
@chai2,
Appropriate. I love Bobby Darin's music.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 11:41 pm
Just be extra careful...

Face-Eating Cannibal Attack May Be Latest in String of 'Bath Salts' Incidents

0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 12:01 am
It starts with a sprinkle.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 02:50 am
@edgarblythe,
How about some baking soda, salt and vinagar......it will bubble you into a healthy coma.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 03:17 am
@glitterbag,
Sounds kind of nonproductive. Anyhow, what's a healthy coma?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 08:22 am
@glitterbag,
I might experiment a little, but I generally go with simplicity.
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Well I know GB was kidding, but fyi if you mix baking soda and vinegar, it will just neutralize each other, and you'll end up with....water.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 08:49 am
@chai2,
Now you mention it, I recall a recipe similar to that for a home remedy. I don't recall the exact ingredients, or the purpose stated, but when mixed, every bit of it foams out of the dish.
Ragman

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2019 09:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I second what Sturgis and you wrote. I also do regular Epsom salts bath soak for my lower back pain and joint issues. It helps a lot. Maxine adds essential oils (often lavender and other). I sometimes (not often) wake up with night sweats. My cause might be a different reason that yours is, however. I’m on hormone replacement meds since my bout with cancer. So I can’t really help there with a parallel.

I’ll bet that you don’t experience this again or if you do, it won’t be often. Toxin removal and hot soak might be the cause, but I’m just guessing. Nothing too worrisome or alarming, though.

[edit: Is there any possibility that the choice of sheets or top cover contributed to this sweater? Also what was the temperature is like and did you wife experience any of the issues were sweating? Did you have any hot spices at dinner,?]
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anybody here doing salt baths?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:55:28