How long will email last?

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:40 am
Pretty much ever since I became dependent on email (~9 years ago or so) I have been worried that it would be cast aside for the next new, probably voice-based communication technology. Voice over internet had me particularly worried.

But email has stuck it out. Do you think it will for a long time? How long? What do you think will eventually supplant it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
i think e-mail is here to stay.

its especially convenient in a work environment -- having something in writing is an excellent way of CYA (covering yer arse!)

i wouldn't hazard a guess as to what's on the horizon in technological advances...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
Hey- People still write letters and send them through "snail mail". I think that no matter how the technology evolves, E Mail is here to stay.

( I thought the same thing about 8-track and Betamax. Shows to go ya what I know! Laughing )
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
Email is pretty primitive on the technological landscape. But I don't think it's likely to be replaced by VoIP (VoIP is telephony), if anything it would be replaced by a better protocol that would be quite similar to the end user.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:03 am
For what it's worth, about five years ago here in Europe, "the next new technology" went in just the other direction. It was called SMS (for "short message service"), it's basically e-mail for cell phones, and no supplier can compete in the European cell phone market today unless he offers it. In other words, exchanging text messages is still being invented for devices that don't have it yet. There are good reasons for that: compared to telephony or Voice over IP, it's cheap as dirt in terms of bandwidth, but still gets a lot of information across, both of which are unlikely to ever change. E-mail is here to stay in one form or another.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
Oh, no. Don't know about the German language, Thomas, but text messaging will be the ruin of the English language.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:12 am
roger wrote:
Oh, no. Don't know about the German language, Thomas, but text messaging will be the ruin of the English language.

2 bad 4 U.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:25 am
Thomas wrote:
2 bad 4 U.

Laughing
you hit the nail on the head~!

I think email ( in some basic form ) will always be here.
Just like snail mail, it is a very basic way of communicating with someone.
To my understanding, it is CHEAP ( for the services to provide ) as well.
Thats 2 big bonuses for email.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:25 am
Wasnt SMS invented by Prince?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
I wud... die 4... u

This is all encouraging, thanks. For some reason I was thinking about when sozlet goes off to college, and that we could keep in touch via email, and then thought "but what if there ISN'T ANY EMAIL by then??!" (Yes, I get freaked out by weird things at 1:30 AM.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
I hope its here to stay.Its great emailing pals when Im at work.
Its too convenient/quick to get rid of.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:41 am
sozobe wrote:
This is all encouraging, thanks. For some reason I was thinking about when sozlet goes off to college, and that we could keep in touch via email, and then thought "but what if there ISN'T ANY EMAIL by then??!" (Yes, I get freaked out by weird things at 1:30 AM.)

Don't worry about college. When Sozlet reaches that age, presidents Jeb Bush and George Bush III will have made secular colleges illegal, and she doesn't seem like the born-again kinda girl who would go to Jerry Falwell's Liberty U.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:42 am
That makes me feel MUCH better...

....NOT!!!

(Is there a George Bush III? Will Jenna be getting a sex change?)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
With an eye on first Ronnie's, then the Terminator's political success - like, the direction that points in - I'm betting we'll have a President Paris Hilton by the time the Sozlet goes to college.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:51 am
sozobe wrote:
That makes me feel MUCH better...

....NOT!!!

(Is there a George Bush III? Will Jenna be getting a sex change?)

Did you guys get the Blackadder series?

The Bush dynasty always reminds me of a scene in the Regency Blackadder - when Blackadder, upon meeting British Prime Minister, Pitt the Younger, (the second in the line of Pitt Prime Ministers, after his daddy, Pitt the Elder,) looks at him like something the cat dragged in, and says, in a voice dripping with disdain:

"So - who's next in this interminable, dreary line of Pitts? Pitt the Homunculous?"
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
Wasn't one of his nephews a "George P."? The one who speaks fluently Spanish, is in his 30s, looks like a film star, and wooed Hispanic voters for George II in his 2004 campaign? That's who I had in mind, but I could be wrong. Of course, the thought of a transvestite Republican ex-woman president seems very intriguing too ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:01 am
Oh, that one. Jeb's kid, one of Barbara's little brown grandchildren (was that what she said?)

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2004/08/21/inside-bush.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:06 am
Yup, that's him.
0 Replies

Swordfish78

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:21 pm
e-mails are gonna stay atleasr for some 5years.Remember e-mail also has changed a lot.Especially gmail is something like revo;utionary for old yahoo or hotmail users like.I don't know how e-mail was like before.
0 Replies