Hobby idea, need opinions

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:34 am
Ive got an idea which is based on a hobby.I could make and sell these things but I reckon I may be spending more to make them than I could make when selling them.
Im not talking thousands, maybe £150 to make about 20 of these things, including bits and bobs to go with them.

I doubt Il make any profit but I cant get the idea out of my head and I have found a supplier who can sort out the main material I have been after for months!!

Should I give it a go anyway?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:47 am
Absolutely! It's always worth a go.

My son and his girlfriend buy a certain product (I wont give the game away and ruin his "niche") from a source in the USA, for a pittance.
They then make really "hip" jewellry out of it, and sell it back to American people on Ebay, for about five times the price.
It's been a major source of funding for them, as they worked their way through Uni, and although my spare room resembled a warehouse at times, it was good to see their faces when they tallied up the weeks profit.

There is definitely money to be made out there, but you have to aim at the correct target, and make sure that your end product is of good quality, and that you really go out of your way to keep the customers happy. In the end, your reputation will bring in new custom, and YOUR spare room can be a warehouse as well.

You must always aim at a reasonable profit though. Unless you have charitable status.

The basics of Marketing :- Identify the present and future needs/wants of the potential customer, and supply it at a profit.

Good luck!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:52 am
Oooh, thanks, thats a nice encouraging story.I love jewelery.My idea kinda incorporates it(in a n odd way)
Would be great if you pm'd me with info so I could see their work on ebay pleasey please.

Yep luckily I found a good quality company to supply me with the main part of the idea.Im a Leo so I like quality products and I would do my best to be nice to people.If I did this for a living I reckon I would become a nicer person!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:12 am
OK....you should have it by now.

Again, good luck.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 05:23 am
Ive just sent of a fax to some wood suppliers of my ideas to see if its do-able.
The ball is a rollin'.
0 Replies