Have I lost my best friend?

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 03:26 pm
So I've messed up a bit.

I've had a female friend for about 10 years now. We're both part of the same friendship group and have always been fairly close. We both went off travelling and to College/Unis away from the group while the others stayed in our home city but whenever we both got back we'd always pair off and talk about everything from relationships to anything really. It's always been nice having our little friendship and she admitted once the main reason she came back was to check in with me instead of others in the group (not that she didn't get on with anyone, she was just closer to me).

Well last year we started sleeping together randomly. We didn't plan it but we ended up dating for a few months. Early this year, we realised it wasn't really working. Everything was great but we found ourselves just arguing over silly stuff. We said we'd stay friends and to my surprise she actually meant it. The weird thing was that we were now closer than we ever were before we dated. We carried on hanging out every few days and talked over the phone or message every day which was great. We started to refer to each other as best friends and I actually really got used to having someone I could turn to no matter what. Obviously I'm close with my other friends and I see them all the time too, but this was a different kind of friendship.

The problem is that we still had sex occasionally. It wasn't planned but we did find ourselves chilling at my place and we'd just fall into it. We knew there was obviously some feelings involved but knew it wasn't gonna lead to anything. Our other friends were confused but we insisted we weren't dating which we weren't. Eventually we agreed to stop the sex because I think she was starting to feel confused. I did ask if it was because she still liked me and she assured me it wasn't.

Well about two months back, she broke her leg and said she wouldn't be able to make it to mine as much which was fine but all of a sudden when I would try to plan things I was getting nothing but excuses. I've offered to come see her but she kept saying she was all of a sudden busy with her other friends who I've never heard her once mention. I understood but it started to become more and more frequent. I started to get really short replies or no replies for hours.
She even started to pass on pre made plans without much warning which started to rub me the wrong way. We were due to go on a trip which she bailed on at the last moment and even decided she wasn't gonna come to my birthday meal she planned for me. She turned up to my birthday party late and couldn't understand why I was a bit hurt. I explained that I was confused why she's creating distance but she kept refusing to admit she was.

This carried on until last week. She randomly apologised about not being a good friend and we talked it out. She then cancelled on me two times in a row but I carried on being supportive because she said she was having a really hard time lately.
Suddenly she told me she's met someone and basically she's cancelling plans with me so she can be with him. I got annoyed because I'm suddenly being dropped. I understand that she's in the beginning of a potential new relationship but that's no reason to just throw me out. I've had to cancel plans we had over Christmas because of this and I know I may be overreacting but it feels **** to find out all your time hanging out with someone was literally out of convenience and because they had nothing else to do or at least that's how it feels to me. I've literally bent over backwards all year helping her out with stuff and even called in sick to work to comfort her when she was feeling down because she's my best friend. I told her I was annoyed and we didn't speak for a few days.

I went out on the weekend for a friend's birthday and she was there. We didn't really speak until later in the night when a friend misquoted something I said and she started an argument which was embarrassing as it was in front of everyone.
I went home but she ended up letting herself in in the early hours and we talked when she realised she made a mistake. Eventually drunk me being an idiot offered the ultimatum of me or him. I didn't mean it but I did say it which was stupid. We argued and it ended on weird terms when she drunkenly kissed me and she left.

The next day we talked and apologised about everything but later in the day she explained that her new guy isn't happy about her coming to my house and she can't speak to me for a while. I contacted her the next day and she said she really wants to be friends but it's not healthy to be arguing all the time and making a mess. I asked if we could meet to perhaps talk sometime soon and she said she'll let me know.

Against my better judgement I messaged her yesterday just to say hi. I was missing her and just wanted to talk. She didn't reply until this morning and again this evening.

Have I lost my best friend?

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 05:06 pm
@rexlincoln,
Of course she's cancelling plans with you in favor of her new guy!

This should come as no great shock to you. The two of you used to do the horizontal tango. I'm sure she realizes her fellow would be hurt by you hanging around with her, particularly alone at your place. What is he supposed to think?

She is, of course, entitled to have and to keep any friends that she chooses. But if she values this new relationship, then she won't do hurtful things if she can help it.

So, what can you do?

Recognize that they now come as a package deal. And maybe they won't forever. But right now, they do. So make plans with both of them. Give him the option of tagging along, or not.

Otherwise, to him, it just looks like his girlfriend is off to spend time with someone she used to screw, and recently.

How would you feel if you were in his shoes?
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 05:14 pm
You two were FWB and failed to move it forward ( well, there was a try, but it didn’t work out.)

She has now found a guy who wants a real relationship and is insisting that she make up her mind between you and him. You really don’t have a right to interfere with her decision. For sure, she is wrestling with moving forward to the unknown or returning to the FWB relationship with you.

Unless you have something to offer each other and both of you are honest about it, you should let her go and move on to find whatever it is you want from another partner.

Girls will only take a FWB relationship for only so long.

rexlincoln

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 06:32 pm
@PUNKEY,
But we'd already stopped having sex. We were just hanging out as friends. It's not fair that should have to cancel a holiday and other plans just because she's started seeing someone.

If it were the other way around, I had a holiday booked with a best friend and I started dating someone then I'd still go on that holiday. You don't get to cancel on friends.
0 Replies

rexlincoln

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 06:38 pm
@jespah,
I understand all that but it still sucks. Basically I'm never allowed to hang out with her again unless he's there? He's not my best friend, she is.
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 07:11 pm
@rexlincoln,
No.

You need to invite him. Because that's the nice thing people do for the people who they like. It's not a nice thing you're doing for him; it's a nice thing you're doing for her.

He's important to her. By attempting to include him (and he will likely not want to hang around much because you're right, he and you are not pals), you are respecting her, her choices, and her relationship.

It's common courtesy.

If this guy is a jealous, controlling person, then you'll know. If he's an easygoing fellow who you could be pals with, you'll know that as well.

But also understand something. This is reason #483,623 why FWB stinks. It changes the dynamics of friendships. Now you're no longer her pal to him, and from his perspective, you never have been. You are her ex. It doesn't matter how serious or loose the whole thing was. You're her ex, and you are a recent ex.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 09:17 am
@rexlincoln,
rexlincoln wrote:

I understand all that but it still sucks. Basically I'm never allowed to hang out with her again unless he's there? He's not my best friend, she is.

Yes that would be the case in this situation. You used to sleep together. And it does seem there is still some attraction or similar even if you are not. The boyfriend sees this - he isn't a dummy (I'll give him that) so he doesn't want you too alone together.

So unless you are Elaine and Jerry Seinfeld (and TV does not reflect realty) this is unlikely to happen.

It may suck and be unfair but then most things in life are that way.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have I lost my best friend?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.34 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:33:33