Why/how did they even think about doing that?

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:51 pm
Have you ever witnessed or heard of a situation and wondered, why would anyone even think of doing that?

Some of these things are malicious. For example, I once saw a "friend" take a parking ticket from one parked car, walk a block and put it on another car. Even though this is not as mean as some things, it could cause some one to have a higher fee since he would be late paying. Why would he even think to do that?

Others are completely harmless, but still don't make sense to me. For example, I saw a Senfield episode where some one uses the bathroom and looks through the person's medicine cabinet. To me, this is invading some one's privacy. Why would it even occur to some one to look in a medicine cabinet? And why would you want to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:25 pm
i have always wondered how we came up with some of the things in modern medicine today.

I mean seriously, a colonoscopy (i understand the importance of them and that they are worth doing past a certain age, but why would anyone even think of doing that way back before it was proven to reduce colon cancer?)
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:50 pm
who stood behind a chicken and said "i know ill eat the next thing that comes outta that things ass"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
One of the twenty-something, fun-loving boys on the Fringes of Mr. Noddy's Family decided to see how many tickets he could collect for parking illegally in handicapped spots.

Fifteen years later he is coping with MS and I don't feel particularly sorry for him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
mama always said "what goes around..."
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:55 am
I recently went on a car trip with a co-worker. Instead of "messing up" her ashtray, she'd throw her cigaret butts out the car window. Then she complained that I'd left my butts in her ashtray. I emptied her ashtray later, like, in a trash can.

I said I didn't think it was good to litter, I'd heard birds mistake butts for food. She kept doing it anyway.

I have to admit, I really didn't like her.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
I don't get why anyone would do any of the things I've seen on that show Jackass. He is a jackass. Why in heavens name would you sit on the floor with your legs spread and have someone chuck pool balls at your nuts?????
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:03 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I don't get why anyone would do any of the things I've seen on that show Jackass. He is a jackass. Why in heavens name would you sit on the floor with your legs spread and have someone chuck pool balls at your nuts?????

Um, because you're stupid? Laughing

Yet another TV show I'm glad I've missed!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:10 am
BorisKitten wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Um, because you're stupid? Laughing

Yet another TV show I'm glad I've missed!

I was unfortunate to catch it one night while flipping through channels. I could actually feel the knowledge seeping from my ear as I watched that show.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:02 pm
Thus the name of the show! Only a jacka$$ could think up and do such insane "stunts".
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:06 am
Who cares about the jackasses on t.v at least there being punished for their stupidity lol. self inflicted pain, interesting idea suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. the people i really wonder about is the ones who do inexplicable things that affect other people. for example the other day i was on a bus where someone just threw a rock through the window shattering glass all over some poor innocent girl, what did they gain? why bother?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:41 am
Very simple. The answer is feigned power and control, for people who feel powerless and not in control. These acts of stupidity give the perpetrator the illusion that he is "getting over" on someone, or society in general. You may have noticed that people who are secure within themselves, who have a high level of self-esteem, do NOT have to commit these kinds of acts.

If you think about it, pre-adolescents are notorious for pulling mild (and if they really have problems, not so mild) anti-social stunts. They are at a stage in life where they are attempting to assert their power, but don't really yet have the wherewithal. In some cases, adults have never gotten beyond this stage.

Here is a perfect example of a young person seeking power and control, with disasterous results. At the time he must have been chuckling about how many people he had driven up a wall:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1436786
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:04 am
Angelina - if it makes you feel better sometimes these idiots get caught. A similar thing happened to my parents several years ago. My dad was driving with my mom in the car. Fortunately none of us kids were in the car at that time. Some idiot threw a rock at the car and smashed a back window.

My dad (who was in not the best shape) pulled the car over and chased the young derelict. Believe it or not my middle aged slightly overweight constantly complaining about aches and pains caught him and held onto him. I think my dad surprised this teenager to the extent the kid did not resist. The police showed up and h*ll broke loose. The mom crying saying her son would never do anything like that - he is such a nice boy. The police disagreed letting my parents know they know this particular teen as a constant trouble maker.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:03 pm
Re: Why/how did they even think about doing that?
Linkat wrote:
Have you ever witnessed or heard of a situation and wondered, why would anyone even think of doing that?

Many, many times.

I've come to believe we all have our moments of complete and utter insanity. That's the only rational explanation I can find.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:40 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Very simple. The answer is feigned power and control, for people who feel powerless and not in control. These acts of stupidity give the perpetrator the illusion that he is "getting over" on someone, or society in general.

Phoenix, you have very simply and elegantly explained a problem that is plaguing society these days. Well done!

My post that you alluded to is typical of that sort of thing - virus writing.

Thanks again for sheding light on this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:29 pm
Who was it that burned the library at Alexandria?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why/how did they even think about doing that?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 05:46:34