Which is correct, number or amount, in the following two sentences?

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 12:20 pm
I have encountered the following two sentences. In the first sentence, the writer use the word ‘number’ and the word ‘amount’ in the second one.
Can I ask if both are correct? or which expression is correct?

In 2013, British ecologist Mark Browne/ launched a project to help reduce the number of microfibers released into the oceans.
Avoiding [personal care products that have microbeads in them] and [clothing that was made from synthetic fibers]// would reduce the amount of microplastics entering marine and coastal environments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 420 • Replies: 4

engineer

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 01:27 pm
@suwon kim,
"Number" is normally used when you can count the items. "Amount" is used for something you wouldn't count. In normal conversation, no one cares too much. This website discusses it some more.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 01:41 pm
@suwon kim,
Numbers would mean a measurable thing. 15 microfibers is a number.

Amount would be an estimate of something. Lots of microplastics, or some microplastics.

English is a terrible combination of three languages pretending to be one.
0 Replies

suwon kim

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2019 02:46 pm
@engineer,
I mean the following two are confusing to me. That is why I am asking which is correct. In the first, can you native speakers " COUNT fibers?
In the second, "microplastics" is plural, but they use the word "amount."

the number of microfibers
the amount of microplastics
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 02:59 pm
@suwon kim,
"Number of microfibers" brings to mind a rough estimate count of microfibers, e.g. trillions, quadrillions. It's not incorrect.

"Amount" is applicable to the plural word "microplastics." You would use "amounts" if you were implying a distinction among several types or kinds of microplastics.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which is correct, number or amount, in the following two sentences?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:59:09