Legalities in chips cases

Cain82

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 02:01 am
So my child’s mother who hadn’t let me see my daughter in 8 months got raided and the kids got taken. I was informed by cps that this happened and was told I could attend my daughters case and inform the courts that i wished to have her with me! My understanding was that I’d basically just be sitting in.
Then when it came to court time I was for some reason brought to the front table with my daughters mother and basically informed by the judge of my rights and rights to legal counsel. I at first said I didn’t understand why I’d need council as it was my daughters mother who lost the kids, not myself. I has no actions in her catching charges or a chips case or anything. I very quickly felt like I was on trial right along with her even though I had no parts in anything that got her in court in the first place!
At the end of everything I pretty much had to get a lawyer and the court ordered the obligations be split between me and her for the guardian ad litem involved in the case and court costs!
So my question is is it legal for the courts to do this this way? Basically charge an uninvolved unwitting parant for the actions of the other parent? It wasn’t me who got raided or neglected my child or got in any trouble at all! I lived in a different city and county and wasn’t even being allowed to see my child. Yet now I owe financial obligations to the court for acts I had nothing to do with at all!
It all felt very unconstitutional and against my civil rights! I even tried to tell the judge I didn’t understand why I was being told to pay anything at all or being forced to go to court for something I had no involvement in! Now if I don’t pay that they can lock me up for failing to pay court obligations on a court case that wasn’t even my case to start with! Is this legal and if so how? How isn’t it a violation of my civil rights?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 121 • Replies: 1

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2019 09:51 am
@Cain82,
These are questions for your lawyer. We don't provide legal advice here.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Legalities in chips cases
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:35:40