Salem, Mass. gets Bewitched statue

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
Salem, Mass., known for witch trials, gets Bewitched statue
at 14:37 on June 18, 2005, EST.

SALEM, Mass. (AP) - Not everyone was enchanted when officials unveiled a statue of the actress who played Samantha Stephens on the 1960s television show Bewitched in this city known for its witch trials several centuries ago.

Hundreds turned out last week to see the 2.7-metre-tall bronze statue of late actress Elizabeth Montgomery.

But some say the statue trivializes the tragic events that occurred in Salem in 1692, when 20 people were put to death after being accused of witchcraft. Critics say the statue is nothing but an ad for the Bewitched movie, starring Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell, which is set to be released this month.

Others, including the mayor and some city councillors, welcomed the statue as harmless fun in a place that has long made money playing off the witch hysteria.

The statue is sponsored by the TV Land cable network, which airs classic shows. The network has placed statues of famous sitcom characters around the United States, including one of bus driver Ralph Kramden of The Honeymooners in New York, and one of Mary Richards in Minneapolis, Minn., where The Mary Tyler Moore show was set.

The ceremony was attended by show director William Asher, who was married to Montgomery, and actors from the original series, including Bernard Fox (who played Dr. Bombay), Kasey Rogers (Louise Tate), and Erin Murphy (Tabitha Stephens).

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/624/3995350.bf3455.jpg
Elizabeth Montgomery

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,615 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:31 am
If ever you chance to visit Salem, Boss, and the weather is nice, have a seat just outside the cemetary. There, someone has placed markers in honor of those executed in the hysteria. When we visited, an unknown individual had laid a fresh rose on the stone of each marker. It was touching. For my own silly and petty reasons, i would not enter the cemetary with the others. I preferred to keep company with the executed, rather than the executioners.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:16 pm
I saw the Memorial to the Witches of Salem on the day after heavy snowfall. All those empty seats surrounded by untrodden snow.

The town fathers are correct about the "Bewitched" statue--tourists will love it.

This is one more example of the blurring of the line between "history/news/fact" and "salesmanship/topicality/fiction".

We live in interesting times.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:01 am
Tacky! But like Noddy said we live in interesting times. And whatever sells is more important in many people's minds.

I would not doubt that this "statue" will end up being defaced and the site of lots of abuse.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
I think that there should be a statue of Barney Fife next to the FBI center in Langley anda Floyd the Barber statue next to Michael Jacksons "Neverland".

How bout a "Flipper" statue at the Woods Hole Institute.
This could be big. Is there a Lorne Greene statue in Galactica regalia in Ottawa?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
Mad

i think that statue is a rude gesture. Minimizing peoples deaths with a TV 'pretend' witch. Nice.

To me , it would be like someone taking a statue of the Buddy Christ from Dogma and putting it up in Isreal.

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/8283
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:29 am
Farmerman--

You could start a whole new thread, superimposing television on reality all across the country. All across the country? All across the world!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:34 am
How about a figurine of that character from "King of the Hill", Hank's friend Dale, outside Bush's ranch? Everytime Dale speaks his crazy political rants in that reedy Texas voice, I think of our president...

As for Salem, as others have noted, it's a tasteless attempt to draw more tourists...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:45 am
Noddy, I was being a bit of an elf there. Think of the poor committee that will forever take the abuse about the many meanings of the Bewitched statue and Liz Montgomery's "cartoon" pose. Noone wil be perfectly stisfied. I love public art committees, , they usually further subdivide communities and I betcha thats what will happen here.

Having said that, the degree of solemnity we hold many of our historic places defines what will be accepted as public art.
Could you imagine a McHales Navy grouping in Pearl Harbor

Or Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen next to the Alamo?

How about Colonel Klink at the entrance of Treblinka.

The outraged citizens of Pa ultimately prevailed and that awful "Vista View" tower that was built on land next to Gettysburg was finally blown up this past year (That took almost 30 years and was overwhelmingly considered a profanation since day 1.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:13 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Everytime Dale speaks his crazy political rants in that reedy Texas voice, I think of our president...

quote]

you have now ruined that show for me.
Never again, will I not be able to think of Bush.

Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:18 pm
Sorry about that, shewolf, but I find the resemblance uncanny...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:21 pm
It is!
Im surprised that I didnt notice this earlier.
Though, Dale is a hell of alot smarter... Confused
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:49 pm
His wife is prettier, too...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
Farmerman--

I'm old enough that my aesthetic horror has turned to horrid fascination. Personally the "Bewitched" dimension raises my eyebrows, but live and let live.

Now a shopping mall on the Gettysburg battlefield--that is a cause worthy of my indignation.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:04 pm
I would not be too upset. The trials and hangings took place in the second parish of Salem, which is now the town of Danvers Massachusetts. Let the foolishness remain in the Port of Salem (present Salem) That just confirms what the conservative rural farmers of Salem Village thought of them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:14 pm
I'm not upset. And don't know why, but it sort of makes me embarassed. I guess embarassed that I could be from around the area and some dumb a** thinks this is a good idea.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
Oddly enough, or perhaps not, embarrassment is how I used to respond the the television show. I could no understand how adults could either perform in that show, or watch it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Salem, Mass. gets Bewitched statue
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:22:54