Return Receipt to invalid address

cato

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:57 pm
I manage the mail system in my company. Every day I receive several emails like this:

=============================================
The original message was received at Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:21:51 GMT
from root.mydomain.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown)
----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to imbomr-nj02.nj.ssmb.com.:
>>>>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

Reporting-MTA: dns; imbaspam-ss04.namdmz.dmzroot.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; root.mydomain.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:21:51 GMT

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; imbomr-nj02.nj.ssmb.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:21:57 GMT
=============================================

I realized that some employees subscribed to a online service in Citibank and they receive every day an email with news and information. This mail comes from the invalid address [email protected] (actually the message body warns about not answering to this invalid address) and it requests a delivery confirmation that is sent - of course - to this invalid account, causing the last error message.

I've been asking for more than one year to Citibank IT people here in Colombia to remove the delivery confirmation but they say that they have no problem with this issue, and that this problem have to be solved on my side. They say they receive the delivery confirmation OK but they have not told me to what email account.

I've wondering how can somebody be so dumb to ask a delivery confirmation of a message sent from an unmonitored account, but after a year I'm starting to doubt if it is possible that the problem be on my side.

Have somebody some idea or have ever heard of similar cases?? Citibank says that I'm the only one complaining about this.

Thanks in advance

Carlos Aguilar
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,850 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:34 am
Odd...

It really doesn't look like it's on your end.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:29 am
The problem is definitely that they're requesting a reciept to an invalid address.

You could always turn off reciepts (although this is a global setting on many mail servers). Or block outgoing messages to that address.
0 Replies

iTalk

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:49 am
Does anyone have a solution to this problem, I have been searching all over trying to find the correct solution to no avail.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
The only solution I know of is to write a script to run on your mail server to strip out return receipt request or modify the return receipt addy.

Here's one solution for that would work for a MS Exchange Mail server:
http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/howto-readreceipt.asp
0 Replies

cato

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
Hello iTalk. May I assume you are having the same problem?? May I know with what domain??
0 Replies

cato

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
Hello all. I checked this and I have realized (with a bit of help from Sanktwo) that original incoming messages are not askking for a return receipt. They have neither Disposition-Notification-To: nor Return-Receipt-To: fields. I'm sorry to say that I have not checked this because it was obvious (for me) that return receipt was asked. Citibank people has always told me they were receiving the return receipt without any problem. Maybe the dont like to give information regarding their mail system to external people.

Anyway, and before somebody ask, I have checked that this un-asked return receipt is only being sent to this automated message coming from Citibank. So, now I'm looking for another thing. I have posted this problem to IBM Lotus Notes support. On the meantime I´ll just drop outgoing messages sent to [email protected].

Public apologyzes to Citibank IT people. I really bothered them for about a year. But if they had only told me they were not asking for return receipt.....
0 Replies