Incurable pedophile loses appeal

Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:29 pm
What I find particularily interesting with this case is that this offender has been sentenced to an "indeterminate prison term". I didn't think that was possible. I always figured that some length of sentence had to be given. Do you know anything about this?

Incurable pedophile loses appeal
Jun, 15 2005 - 9:00 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - A man described by the Crown as an "incurable pedophile" has lost an appeal of his dangerous offender designation.
71-year-old William John Wormell was sentenced to an indeterminate prison term after his conviction on six sex charges involving children, and being declared a dangerous offender.

The offences date back to 1957 and occurred on Vancouver Island.

Wormell appealed the dangerous offender designation, arguing he should have been declared a long-term offender - the penalty for which is a set prison term with ongoing supervision in the community upon release.

BC's highest court has rejected the appeal, ruling Wormell is "someone who needs to be separated from society as he appears not to have acknowledged the harm which he has done over many years to victims."

{Source}
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 703 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Incurable pedophile loses appeal
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 02:17:05